Question: Bills Quarterback 1st Starts?

Taro T

I remember reading a few years back that very few Bills quarterbacks won their 1st game started as a Bill. (I want to say there are like 3, and surprisingly Todd Collins is in that group.) Does anyone know what the records are?

My guess is that JP will be able to buck this trend due to the defense hopefully overwhelming Houston.

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

Jim Kelly lost his first game to the Jets, but split game MVP honors with Ken O'Brien, :D

I remember reading a few years back that very few Bills quarterbacks won their 1st game started as a Bill.  (I want to say there are like 3, and surprisingly Todd Collins is in that group.)  Does anyone know what the records are?

My guess is that JP will be able to buck this trend due to the defense hopefully overwhelming Houston.

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

430053[/snapback]

im almost positive collins' first start was in Buffalo vs. Dallas, and we won....

430281[/snapback]

I think that was his first start in the post-Kelly era, but if memory serve me correctly (which it cerainly fails to do sometimes) Collins actually started a meaningless game for the Bills (they had already clinched a playoff spot in the game that ended Kelly's career) and Collins played a bad game running for his life and showing the happy-feet tendency which late spelled the end of his time as a Bill and NFL starter.

I think that was his first start in the post-Kelly era, but if memory serve me correctly (which it cerainly fails to do sometimes) Collins actually started a meaningless game for the Bills (they had already clinched a playoff spot in the game that ended Kelly's career) and Collins played a bad game running for his life and showing the happy-feet tendency which late spelled the end of his time as a Bill and NFL starter.

430335[/snapback]

Good point, though it was not quite the end of Kelly's career. Collins started the last game of 1995, against the Oilers. He played poorly, AVP came in the second half and threw 2 td passes, but the Bills lost 28-17. In 1996 he started for Kelly against the Cowboys and the Bills won a defensive struggle 10-7. Collins won another game in 96 against the Colts, and Kelly lost his first game back against Miami (the infamous Terrell Buckley interception TD game for those who remember), and generally looked immobile for much of the rest of the year, which is one reason why so many folks thought that it was OK for JK to retire after the 1996 season. Ah, hindsight...

If my memory serves, the only QBs to win their first Bills start were Joe Ferguson (the 1973 opener, against the Pats, when OJ ran for 250 yards, and Fergy actually was pulled briefly in favor of Dennis Shaw); Frank Reich (the 1989 MNF game against the Rams) and Doug Flutie (the 1998 Jax game; he had come into the Indy game the previous week when RJ got injured). I will not count 1967, in which Tom Flores started the season opener, but Jack Kemp came in late to lead the rally that gave the Bills a 20-17 win over the Jets...

Unless someone who goes further back in Bills history than I (or who has their copy of Relentless in front of them) can remember other examples of QBs winning their first start with the Bills. Of course, as much as the youngsters around here may forget it, for much of the Bills History between 1967 and 1980, the Bills didn't do much winning at all....

Go Bills!

RJ

Good point, though it was not quite the end of Kelly's career. Collins started the last game of 1995, against the Oilers. He played poorly, AVP came in the second half and threw 2 td passes, but the Bills lost 28-17. In 1996 he started for Kelly against the Cowboys and the Bills won a defensive struggle 10-7. Collins won another game in 96 against the Colts, and Kelly lost his first game back against Miami (the infamous Terrell Buckley interception TD game for those who remember), and generally looked immobile for much of the rest of the year, which is one reason why so many folks thought that it was OK for JK to retire after the 1996 season. Ah, hindsight...

If my memory serves, the only QBs to win their first Bills start were Joe Ferguson (the 1973 opener, against the Pats, when OJ ran for 250 yards, and Fergy actually was pulled briefly in favor of Dennis Shaw); Frank Reich (the 1989 MNF game against the Rams) and Doug Flutie (the 1998 Jax game; he had come into the Indy game the previous week when RJ got injured).  I will not count 1967, in which Tom Flores started the season opener, but Jack Kemp came in late to lead the rally that gave the Bills a 20-17 win over the Jets...

Unless someone who goes further back in Bills history than I  (or who has their copy of Relentless in front of them) can remember other examples of QBs winning their first start with the Bills. Of course, as much as the youngsters around here may forget it, for much of the Bills History between 1967 and 1980, the Bills didn't do much winning at all....

Go Bills!

RJ

430507[/snapback]

Thanks for the update.

Dave.

If my memory serves, the only QBs to win their first Bills start were Joe Ferguson (the 1973 opener, against the Pats, when OJ ran for 250 yards, and Fergy actually was pulled briefly in favor of Dennis Shaw); Frank Reich (the 1989 MNF game against the Rams) and Doug Flutie (the 1998 Jax game; he had come into the Indy game the previous week when RJ got injured).  I will not count 1967, in which Tom Flores started the season opener, but Jack Kemp came in late to lead the rally that gave the Bills a 20-17 win over the Jets...

Unless someone who goes further back in Bills history than I  (or who has their copy of Relentless in front of them) can remember other examples of QBs winning their first start with the Bills. Of course, as much as the youngsters around here may forget it, for much of the Bills History between 1967 and 1980, the Bills didn't do much winning at all....

Go Bills!

RJ

430507[/snapback]

I remember a young Eric Moulds making a play to set up the game-tying FG to force OT that game against the Colts thinking: "Why don't we play this guy more?"

Kelly definitely was not ready to come back for the Miami game - he was awful. Although just before the Buckley INT, the refs did call a Bush League Intentional Grounding penalty after Kelly simply threw the ball out of the back of the endzone - which happens about every game without ever a flag.

I remember a young Eric Moulds making a play to set up the game-tying FG to force OT that game against the Colts thinking: "Why don't we play this guy more?"

Kelly definitely was not ready to come back for the Miami game - he was awful.  Although just before the Buckley INT, the refs did call a Bush League Intentional Grounding penalty after Kelly simply threw the ball out of the back of the endzone - which happens about every game without ever a flag.

430755[/snapback]

Do you remember the bad press Moulds got as a rookie? He was repeatedly hammered for his arrogant attitude, not helped by the fact that he once order a pizza onto the field during his first training camp.

Hard to believe that he actually caught passes from Jim. (sigh) I miss Jim. <_<

Do you remember the bad press Moulds got as a rookie?  He was repeatedly hammered for his arrogant attitude, not helped by the fact that he once order a pizza onto the field during his first training camp.

430785[/snapback]

Not quite. He did that in practice while he was at Mississippi State. So during his first mini-camp with the Bills, Thurman ran out onto the field with a pizza and presented it to Moulds.

Do you remember the bad press Moulds got as a rookie?  He was repeatedly hammered for his arrogant attitude, not helped by the fact that he once order a pizza onto the field during his first training camp.

Hard to believe that he actually caught passes from Jim. (sigh)  I miss Jim.  :w00t:

430785[/snapback]

Actually, he did that in college (one of the reasons for his "bad attitude" label out of college). To break the ice, Thurman Thomas had some pizzas delivered to the field during Mould's first training camp. <_<

CW

Not quite.  He did that in practice while he was at Mississippi State.  So during his first mini-camp with the Bills, Thurman ran out onto the field with a pizza and presented it to Moulds.

430788[/snapback]

You beat me to it <_<

Actually, he did that in college (one of the reasons for his "bad attitude" label out of college).  To break the ice, Thurman Thomas had some pizzas delivered to the field during Mould's first training camp. <_<

CW

430790[/snapback]

I remember Dave Wannestadt, who coached Moulds at the Senior Bowl, saying something to the effect that he would "never have a player like Moulds" on his roster. What a chump! I guess David Boston, and the rest of the assorted criminals that Wanny had while in Miami were alright though?

In defense of all the pre-draft reports about Moulds' bad attitude, I think they were saying that because the pizza he ordered was a vegitarian pie from Dominoes!! :w00t:

Hard to believe that he actually caught passes from Jim. (sigh)  I miss Jim.  <_<

430785[/snapback]

I stand corrected. Thanks guys.

I remember Dave Wannestadt, who coached Moulds at the Senior Bowl, saying something to the effect that he would "never have a player like Moulds" on his roster.  What a chump!  I guess David Boston, and the rest of the assorted criminals that Wanny had while in Miami were alright though?

In defense of all the pre-draft reports about Moulds' bad attitude, I think they were saying that because the pizza he ordered was a vegitarian pie from Dominoes!! <_<

430942[/snapback]

stories like these should make everyone think twice before putting any stock into the "JP losman is a me-first guy" stuff we've been hearing for a year+.

Kelly definitely was not ready to come back for the Miami game - he was awful.  Although just before the Buckley INT, the refs did call a Bush League Intentional Grounding penalty after Kelly simply threw the ball out of the back of the endzone - which happens about every game without ever a flag.

430755[/snapback]

I know just what you mean about Moulds... and am pleased to know I am not the only one who remembers that incredibly unfair grounding call.. ugh...

I remember reading a few years back that very few Bills quarterbacks won their 1st game started as a Bill.  (I want to say there are like 3, and surprisingly Todd Collins is in that group.)  Does anyone know what the records are?

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

430053[/snapback]

I think only a prisoner threatened with loss of bread and water would undertake the task of extractiing and compiling such info. <_< .

Jim Kelly lost his first game to the Jets, but split game MVP honors with Ken O'Brien,  <_<

430271[/snapback]

I was at that game - it was a good one. It was also the first time I saw that many people at Rich Stadium for something other than a Stones concert. Fans were keyed up that day, much like we'll be this Sunday!