When an official says EVACUATE..it

HelloNewman

A part of me is sad to see what is happening down there....

BUT

officals before the storm hit did a MANDATORY evacuation of the city and people still did not go. I understand there are some people who are poor and cannot evacuate but to decide to stay and tough it out is just plain wrong. Now those same people are begging for food and to be rescued. If many of the people heeded the warnings you would not see all that is happening on the news. Just plain arrogant and dumb for those who CHOSE to stay.

You made your bed now lie in it.

I don't know about you but if I hear people from the south say how awful living in NY with the snow I will tell them I will take the snow any day over Katrina

How are people supposed to leave without a car, money or a place to go?

I suppose the local, state & federal governments could have had an evacuation plan in place BEFORE the hurricane hit. They knew a Cat 5 storm was in the Gulf and was heading towards New Orleans by late Friday-early Saturday. They should have had all the buses ready to go on Saturday AM to evacuate all the people who had no other way out.

Hopefully, the next time a big hurricane is headed towards land, people will finally listen and just leave.

I have only seen one real DUMBASS on the news. They asked him why he was still there and his answer................"I have to work tomorrow" <_<. Unless you work for the Red Cross, you won't be needed. I don't feel sorry for idiots like that. The people who had no means to leave are the ones we need to help (except for the looters taking anything but food).

where exactly would one go in this situation, i mean alright if it would happen to me, i have enough money and a place to stay in italy (albeit id have to fly there from a location that wouldnt be hit by the storm) but not many people have access tojust leave their homes, i understand in the situation where your life is in danger but or else where can they go?

does the federal government provide shelter for these people? I'm curious because I dont really know and there isn't really these kind of natural disasters in canada. The only one i can think of was a nasty ice storm but that was nothing compared to what ive seen in NO <_<

How are people supposed to leave without a car, money or a place to go?

I suppose the local, state & federal governments could have had an evacuation plan in place BEFORE the hurricane hit. They knew a Cat 5 storm was in the Gulf and was heading towards New Orleans by late Friday-early Saturday. They should have had all the buses ready to go on Saturday AM to evacuate all the people who had no other way out.

Hopefully, the next time a big hurricane is headed towards land, people will finally listen and just leave.

426170[/snapback]

How do they get to the doctor, bank, store etc....?

Is it possible they could have boarded a bus to the Superdome? As bad as things were there, they could have ridden it out and then headed to Houston.

The National Weather Service warnings predicted all of this. Had I seen that for my area I'd have been long gone no matter how much money I had or didnt have.

i totally agree i would get the hell out of there the second i heard onthe news for everyone to evacuate, and its fine that these people all survived but where can they go ?? they lost their jobs, a lot of people lost most of what they lived their life for and how can they possibly afford to pay for the rooms they will have to stay for god knows how long till the city is rebuilt or they can get their jobs back?

where exactly would one go in this situation, i mean alright if it would happen to me, i have enough money and a place to stay in italy (albeit id have to fly there from a location that wouldnt be hit by the storm) but not many people have access tojust leave their homes, i understand in the situation where your life is in danger but or else where can they go?

does the federal government provide shelter for these people? I'm curious because I dont really know and there isn't really these kind of natural disasters in canada. The only one i can think of was a nasty ice storm but that was nothing compared to what ive seen in NO <_<

426196[/snapback]

Yes there is a FEMA number to call to get emergency cash.

I have only seen one real DUMBASS on the news.  They asked him why he was still there and his answer................"I have to work tomorrow"  <_<.  Unless you work for the Red Cross, you won't be needed.  I don't feel sorry for idiots like that.  The people who had no means to leave are the ones we need to help (except for the looters taking anything but food).

426191[/snapback]

I can tell you that I (we) here in Halifax had the crap scared out of us when a category 2 hit us directly two years ago. I figured things would be OK and didn't prepare. The storm (Juan) paralyzed the city. Fortunately not many were killed but we were totally unprepared. We had plenty of warning but I think we assumed we could outlast mother nature. We don't get hit anywhere as hard as some other southern areas, but we are at sea level. This isn't movieland anymore.. It's real. Get the fug out when they tell you to. If you don't think you'll be able to if something goes sideways in the future, then make plans accordingly.

There are shelters for people to go to to ride out storms in Hurricane areas, whther in Texas, the Gulf Coast, Florida or The East Coast. If New Orleans did not have a plan of where to house people safely, shame on them and the state of Louisiana.

For now we can only give to the red cross or salvation army to help house and feed those in need, regardless of whether they were foolhardy or not.

As an aside, most of these people have never been through a hurricane before an think it is mostly wind. most due not show the kind of flooding that we are seeing because of NO's location.

There are shelters for people to go to to ride out storms in Hurricane areas, whther in Texas, the Gulf Coast, Florida or The East Coast. If New Orleans did not have a plan of where to house people safely, shame on them and the state of Louisiana.

426239[/snapback]

Living in a possible hurricane landfall city and being relatively familiar with this part of the country, I can tell you with 100% certainty that there is not a city on the Atlantic or Gulf coast that has the means to shelter half a million people.

Typical "...let them eat cake" response. Yeah, why didn't they all just hop into their SUV's and drive to their weekend houses in the mountains??

In case you haven't noticed, those people camped at the Superdome are dirt friggin' poor. They didn't leave because they couldn't leave. No car. No money. No place to go.

PTR

How do they get to the doctor, bank, store etc....? 

Is it possible they could have boarded a bus to the Superdome?  As bad as things were there, they could have ridden it out and then headed to Houston.   

The National Weather Service warnings predicted all of this.  Had I seen that for my area I'd have been long gone no matter how much money I had or didnt have.

426210[/snapback]

As an explanation (and not an excuse) of their thinking, those who stayed actually made a correct judgment that they could ride out the storm (they did ride it out because like most hurricanes it did not go into NO as predicted vearing east and wiping out MS).

Where they screwed up was that folks did not believe that an indirect hit from a caat 5 hurricane would cause the Levee system to fail and that the town would get wiped out by water (except for the high ground of the French Quarter among few places.

They were incorrect on that after making a correct guess on the storn and are paying a price for that.

I think they also figured that if the government screwed up so badly in their building of the Levee that it would at least save their arses by having a post-storm evacuation plan in place or at least be able to drop the same MREs and water on them from the air that we do in foreign countries.

They also screwed up in counting on their government. As the tourist areas in the French Quarter are high and dry and actually pretty well policed, the folks likely lost were in the poorest sections of the city which are in the lowlands covered by the Lake.

Too bad for folks they made the wrong decisions and counted upon good decision-making from folks when they failed to make the correct decisions to protect themselves.