The Official Katrina Aftermath Thread

PTS

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole thing is horrible. The effects of this storm will be felt, longer and harder, than even 9/11.

I said earlier we've effectively lost a major American city. Not to mention hundreds of thousands of others losing all they have. Biloxi and Gulfport are literally no more.

It was mentioned earlier this morning that the people in the Superdome will be moved to Houston and the Astrodome once the waters recede a bit. One news article termed these persons "refugees". I never thought I'd see the word "refugees" referred to American citizens.

Fortunately, we can and will rebuild. The United States will come together and help those who have lost everything.

We need to put our petty differences aside, help, and give generously.

Mike

Not to be a jerk, but do we really need forgein aid? Although both weren't as severe, I dealt with 2 hurricanes last year, and I notced one thing for sure - everybody has nothing to do except help clean up. Plus we have out national guard to help out.

If you have arms and legs, you can help out. It isnt like everyone has to go to work today.

How long before those who are whining for international support start getting picky about where it comes from? God forbid the French step forward.

424192[/snapback]

Those frogs better, or i propose removing the "french" tag from "french quarter"

I've often wondered about how the city of Venice Italy came about. Basically under water also isn't it?

you have a point...you really have to wonder about the logic of building a city below sea level. When you need to build levees to stop your city from flooding, and actively pump water out, maybe its time to rethink where to live.

In cub scouts they teach you to camp on higher ground so you dont get flooded during a rainstorm.

What part of some one thinks "Hmmm, sea level is this high, and we live below it. That means that water is going to flood FROM the sea into my home/city. Sounds like a good place to live."

422603[/snapback]

Grapes of Wrath proportions?  The Dust Bowls rank up there too.

424237[/snapback]

Good analogy. Though I'd suggest there is a difference between a regional forced migration such as the Dust Bowl and the functional death of an entire city (because let's face it: New Orleans has ceased to be a city in any Western definition of the word).

Not that either's better or worse. Just different.

Guff, you magnificent bastard! I read your book!

:P

423876[/snapback]

I actually disagree with the sentiment expressed by JSP and others that other countries should offer or give aid for our disaster equaling the aid we gave for the Tsunami or that our future aid offers should be pegged to how much they offered or gsve to us for Katrina.

Personally, I was more than willing to help out by supporting the Red Cross Tsunami relief efforts not because of some sense of commerce driven equity but because my spiritual guidance has taught me to help virtually anyone in need.

My small donation was a mere pittance for me so I deserve no credit for it and I think people are at their best when the give we no expectation of return.

While Democracy is not a suicide pact and giving to people that will use the funds to kill us should not be done, I think that most people are people and simply are surviving and I am glad that I am in a position to help.

I think we actually belittle ourselves when we are so afraid that someone may hurt us we do not risk that by helping those who seem as though they can use help.

Good analogy.  Though I'd suggest there is a difference between a regional forced migration such as the Dust Bowl and the functional death of an entire city (because let's face it: New Orleans has ceased to be a city in any Western definition of the word). 

Not that either's better or worse.  Just different.

424260[/snapback]

You are so right. What amazes me is that there is an economy in NO and still in sad shape. The years of corruption, graff and what not hasn't helped it... It strong Catholic roots and poverty is something out of Mexico.

Was it that economy that needed to protect that city at ALL COST. It certainly didn't and failed. It was a life and death issue there... Unlike few other cities... NO has got to feel cheated?

I am not really trying to be offensive... It leads me back to geography or location... Is there a lot less sympathy for people in warm climates?

What's the latest on the levee repair? Anyone hear anything?

424404[/snapback]

From MSNBC:

Blanco said that trying to fix the levees has been “an engineering nightmare,” with sandbags dropped from the air simply falling “into the eternal black hole.”

I am not really trying to be offensive... It leads me back to geography or location... Is there a lot less sympathy for people in warm climates?

424391[/snapback]

Well, having spent a fair bit of time in the Deep South a long time ago, It's always been a curiosity to me when us northeners mock and make fun at their local dialect and expressions (of which I find charming), and then decree that they are cool to us.

Dubbing others as "sh*t kickers", "yokels", "rednecks", etc. is seldom a way to win friendship... :lol::P