Anyone read WSJournal today

I was looking at the WSJ today and it addressed the growing gulf between small market and big Market teams. Sounds like Jerry Jones would love to run  Buffalo, Cleveland, Cincinatti out of the league.

422053[/snapback]

He's been trying for the last two decades without any luck. I'm sure it pissed him off to no end when the Browns moved but were quickly replaced.

I was looking at the WSJ today and it addressed the growing gulf between small market and big Market teams. Sounds like Jerry Jones would love to run  Buffalo, Cleveland, Cincinatti out of the league.

422053[/snapback]

He should get more plastic surgery. He doesn't look enough like an alien just yet.

All you need to know about Jerry Jones: :D

Just consider, Mr. Jones says, that Mr. Brown decided to name his team's new stadium after his father, the legendary NFL coach Paul Brown -- sacrificing millions of dollars he could have earned selling the name to a corporation.

"And that's just the difference between us," Mr. Jones said at one recent meeting, according to a person who was present.

All you need to know about Jerry Jones: :D

Just consider, Mr. Jones says, that Mr. Brown decided to name his team's new stadium after his father, the legendary NFL coach Paul Brown -- sacrificing millions of dollars he could have earned selling the name to a corporation.

"And that's just the difference between us," Mr. Jones said at one recent meeting, according to a person who was present.

422088[/snapback]

Lol,

I'm a sell out and he's not.

422053[/snapback]

Perhaps so... I just read it that Jerry wants all teams to maximize their own economic potential before sitting back and reaping the awards from others who go above and beyond. Makes sense to me.

Ralph could still sell the naming rights to the Stadium - and keep his name on the Field House. I could care less what they call the stadium as long as the team remains in WNY.

I'm honestly less concerned about the Jerry Jone's in the league. I'm more concerned about Ralph Wilson - and why he hasn't sold off 51% of the team to a local ownership group?

Perhaps so... I just read it that Jerry wants all teams to maximize their own economic potential before sitting back and reaping the awards from others who go above and beyond. Makes sense to me. 

Ralph could still sell the naming rights to the Stadium - and keep his name on the Field House.  I could care less what they call the stadium as long as the team remains in WNY.

I'm honestly less concerned about the Jerry Jone's in the league.  I'm more concerned about Ralph Wilson - and why he hasn't sold off 51% of the team to a local ownership group?

422158[/snapback]

True and good point. However, its more fun to bash Jerry Jones that greedy POS!!

I loved that "Alien" comment on here too. :lol:

It's a very good article. If you look at the profiles of the smaller market teams (Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville), none of those cities are much bigger than Buffalo, and the Bills are successfully turning themselves into a regional franchise.

If the Bills can take advantage of their proximity to Canada, it could be even better. I don't know if the marketing department has done this or not. That's an advantage only the Bills and maybe Detroit have. I say maybe because about one-fourth of Canada's population is within a three hour drive of Buffalo, and other than Windsor and maybe London, there are no major Canadian cities within driving distance of Detroit.

Another advantage the Bills have: little to no stadium debt. It's nice to know that the franchise isn't saddled with having to pay $40 million a year like the Redskins do. There's no corporate name on the stadium (I know there was for 25 years), but the Bills don't need to rely on that money either.

Jerry Jones, while successful in gaining beaucoup bucks for himself and his team (and much return over 16 years on a $140 million investment), has not done anything lasting for the benefit of the league, like Duey stated. We bash Jerry because he's a jerk and a sellout, who only worships green pieces of paper.

Mike

I was sort of surprised that the author didn't point out the circular logic that Jones et al use. They have large market teams with new stadiums which allow them to maximize revenue. But they have large debt burden. Why? Because they bought teams in large markets and built new stadiums, which allows them to maximize...

(sigh)

Old school guys don't like debt. They grew up in an era where if you didn't own your home, the bank could call the mortgage and you're out on the street. Younger guys got their first credit cards at age 18 and made their fortunes using huge leverage (none of these guys are new idea men).

Tags has to somehow get these guys to compromise. He can do it. He's a pretty sharp dude.

I found it curious that Jones used the example of Paul Brown Stadium and naming rights to demonstrate that not all owners try to maximize revenue. Don't they play in plain old Texas Stadium, or did I miss a corporate renaming?

One thing that should be noted, though, is that Jones and the other big-market owners are just fighting for the status quo, not to take money away from small markets. And I do like some version of McNair's (the guy in Houston) plan, where building a new stadium, which boosts league revenue, can be deducted from their revenue sharing pool. I think baseball already has this system.

I'm more concerned about Ralph Wilson - and why he hasn't sold off 51% of the team to a local ownership group?

422158[/snapback]

Why would he do that? You may think he's about to "cash in his chips", but I highly doubt that Ralph agrees with you.

"Some owners have backed giving the league the authority to force an owner to sell a team that fails to meet financial-performance standards over time, league executives say. Another proposal would force owners to repay revenue-sharing money if they sell the franchise."

Well, isn't that just dandy?

I could see someone trying to bring the hammer down on the Bills.

You know who's f*cked in this kind of scheme? Fans of small market teams. They'll be forced to buy merchandise, luxury boxes etc to keep the axeman from coming and wiping out their team.

I don't like it one bit. Nope.