Helping conserve fuel

The advgice to leave your AC on is bull sh--.

Nothing puts a bigger drag on your motor than a running AC compressor.

Tying a fat drunken boy from Indiana to your roof causes less drag than running your AC.

422012[/snapback]

As usual, you don't know what you're talking about.

I'd explain it, but others already have.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both are correct depending on your speed.

Windows/AC

422046[/snapback]

Yep. An allied subject is the lowering of a pick-up truck's tail gate or the purchase of the netted tailgates. There is no question but that such reduce mileage - the closed solid tailgate serves to hold a relatively quiescent air pocket, and driving down the road results in onrushing air shearing quiescent air. With the gate down or the netting devices, the vehicle sufferes an increase in drag as air has to deal with the higher-friction surface of the bed and tailgate.

That has been proven time and time again in factory and independent wind tunnel tests.

Don't forget about the off-shore oil off the coast of CA and FLA. :D

421961[/snapback]

ya dig dig dig... but oh, by the way, if we use our technology and American Know How, we can increase the MPG across the board by 10mpg... that would save more oil than Alaska, and the Gulf could ever produce.

I have 1 year until my used Saab is paid off, and the Prius is #1 on my list...with the civic hybrid #2.  I drive about 80 miles round trip a day.

We don't drive my wife's SUV other than her going to work.  It's not worth it, even though its a newer car.  It gets about 1/2 the mileage of mine.  Luckily, she just accepted a job that's 5 miles from the house, unlike her 70 mile a day current drive.  It makes a difference when you add it up.

The gas hikes have been prison raping me lately.

422005[/snapback]

My wife has a 70 mile round trip ride to and from work in Miami. she fills up about twice a month in her 13 gallan tank. We laugh our way all the way to the pump... especially when we see those idiots with Huge SUVs pumping 80 bucks of gas for 4 days.

:D

ya dig dig dig... but oh, by the way, if we use our technology and American Know How, we can increase the MPG across the board by 10mpg... that would save more oil than Alaska, and the Gulf could ever produce.

422117[/snapback]

What technologies? It's a matter of rolling resistance, weight, thermal efficiency, drag, passenger and cargo capacity, and internal friction.

You won't have a diesel passenger fleet unlike Europe, because of the whackos.

You won't have 40 mph speed limits because everybody wants to get to a football game as rapidly as possible. You won't have displacement taxation because cries of being unfair to the poor or minorities or business or tradesmen will surface. Lower vehicle weights might get the companies sued for dangerous vehicles.

Bottom line - only so much energy in a gallon of gasoline.

I think I'll use my money for something that gains in value, rather than spending 20K on something that will be worth 5K 6 years later.

Do you have dinner ready for the better half yet? ;)  :D

422058[/snapback]

What an exaggeration... Ya look out for your pocketbook... F America.. F patriotic people.

I think it's really cool that probably 75% of America wouldn't have given this conversation the time of day before it hit their wallet. Now, folks are getting concerned.

422025[/snapback]

Yup, that's pretty much the way it's always been on any issue.

What an exaggeration... Ya look out for your pocketbook... F America.. F patriotic people.

422126[/snapback]

First a name like "Black Panther"...then you say F America...

I think you've offended more than most today. Go back from where you came, you commie.

What technologies?  It's a matter of rolling resistance, weight, thermal efficiency, drag, passenger and cargo capacity, and internal friction.

You won't have a diesel passenger fleet unlike Europe, because of the whackos.

You won't have 40 mph speed limits because everybody wants to get to a football game as rapidly as possible. You won't have displacement taxation because cries of being unfair to the poor or minorities or business or tradesmen will surface.  Lower vehicle weights might get the companies sued for dangerous vehicles.

Bottom line - only so much energy in a gallon of gasoline.

422125[/snapback]

I see you have your head in the sand... or are buying the garbage that is fed to you by the GOP.

The Hybrid Prius gets 50 mpg and goes 120 mph. The Hybrid SUV's have 385hp and are faster than most cars. The Hybrid technology is just one way to get more MPG. It's political. I feel sorry for people like you who buy into the spin but ignore the facts.

BTW, I like cats. and the panther is my favorite. You judge me with ignorant views and false intepretations. Are you trailer trash?

First a name like "Black Panther"...then you say F America...

I think you've offended more than most today.  Go back from where you came, you commie.

422129[/snapback]

FU. I am patriotic.... I conserve, I want to choke off the towel heads that have us by the balls. But people like the idiot I responded to just don't get it. They just tow the GOP line and continue to embarass themselves.

-the wife is carpooling which will save us a ton of gas since we live 1 hr away from our jobs

421925[/snapback]

I'm not going to do anything. I did my part when I bought a house that makes my commute only 15 miles round trip. When I'm on the road I get mileage $.

Aside from the waste of time every day, I don't understand why people, when given a choice, choose to commute so far away. Aside from the gas, the wear & tear on the car & the added time waste ends up more than the saving on the home's original cost over the years. (Unless you're in California where it's either move far away or rent). Worse yet are renters who live far away.

Which came 1st, the chicken or egg? -If you had the job 1st, you should have bought closer (I don't buy the "country give our family a higher quality of life" stuff) If you got transferred or switched jobs & had no choice on the location after buying, it's at least understandable. People who rent have no excuse for 50+ mile one way commutes unless it is a very temporary situation.

The only other excuse for a long commute is living with Mommy & Daddy and saving to get out.

FU. I am patriotic.... I conserve, I want to choke off the towel heads that have us by the balls. But people like the idiot I responded to just don't get it. They just tow the GOP line and continue to embarass themselves.

422132[/snapback]

Drink less, smoke less, post less. And TSW is not the place to discuss policy or business. TSW is the place to discuss the Buffalo Bills, big titties and really sharp looking asses. Sometimes, fart jokes. (We have a few ladies who lied and said they are into eyes, now...don't believe them) And trivials.

A lot of people here don't visit often, or at least don't post on PPP. If you want to post your political thoughts, don't run away and post them on the main board. Stay and talk to us, young 'un.

I ride in a Van Pool with 4-5 other people to work (and my employer pays for it). I don't make unnecessary trips anywhere. I plan my trips in a circuitous route.

My daughter takes the bus to work - it takes her longer to get there but it's better than my driver her. And she walks the 1+ mile to school. It's the only exercise a lot of kids get these days.

I have a 1998 vehicle with less than 50,000 miles on it, and that includes the 2200+ miles incurred in driving from TX to WA. It's not that hard if you put your mind to it.

My wife has a 70 mile round trip ride to and from work in Miami. she fills up about twice a month in her 13 gallan tank. We laugh our way all the way to the pump... especially when we see those idiots with Huge SUVs pumping 80 bucks of gas for 4 days.

;)

422120[/snapback]

It is all realtive especailly when you are towing a 24 foot Donzi. It depends what you do?

Boats come through to the lake everyday where I work... All makes and models of vessels... upwards to 30k year transit the area. Think the guy with the 42 foot CrisCraft and 300 gallon tank is too worried about gas prices? Ya, it hurts but, they are still running the things.

Every year the numbers on the waterways go up, and up, and up. Did I mention boats get horrendous milelage?... Take the guys who make the daily 30-40 mile jaunt around the area in their Fountains, Formulas, Cigarettes, etc... You think a twin 354 with no muffler system gets good gas milelage?

It is all what you do and what you spend it on!

Then again, they might be picking up bags of drugs from the middle of Lake Michigan? :lol:

:lol::lol:

I'm not going to do anything.  I did my part when I bought a house that makes my commute only 15 miles round trip.  When I'm on the road I get mileage $.

Aside from the waste of time every day, I don't understand why people, when given a choice, choose to commute so far away.  Aside from the gas, the wear & tear on the car & the added time waste ends up more than the saving on the home's original cost over the years.  (Unless you're in California where it's either move far away or rent).  Worse yet are renters who live far away.

Which came 1st, the chicken or egg? -If you had the job 1st, you should have bought closer (I don't buy the "country give our family a higher quality of life" stuff) If you got transferred or switched jobs & had no choice on the location after buying, it's at least understandable.  People who rent have no excuse for 50+ mile one way commutes unless it is a very temporary situation. 

The only other excuse for a long commute is living with Mommy & Daddy and saving to get out.

422140[/snapback]

Wear and tear on your vehicel can be greater if you drive LESS than more. Not letting your engine heat up can be ruinous to a lot of systems on it.

Stuck in Cincy... Care to expand on how short drives can be bad?

As usual, you don't know what you're talking about. 

I'd explain it, but others already have.

422107[/snapback]

Oh yea, Mr. Know it All?

http://www.sae.org/events/aars/presentations/2004-hill.pdf

Gee...who will I believe...Bankrate.com or a report by the SAE?

You may clean my clock on some issues, but when it comes to cars, dont tell me my business again.

He has not posted in almost two months and you still take shots at him? :rolleyes:

The advgice to leave your AC on is bull sh--.

Nothing puts a bigger drag on your motor than a running AC compressor.

Tying a fat drunken boy from Indiana to your roof causes less drag than running your AC.

422012[/snapback]

Oh yea, Mr. Know it All?

http://www.sae.org/events/aars/presentations/2004-hill.pdf

Gee...who will I believe...Bankrate.com or a report by the SAE?

You may clean my clock on some issues, but when it comes to cars, dont tell me my business again.

422411[/snapback]

Leave it to engineers to conduct a study that offers no conclusive summary after reading 16 pages of engineering gobbledygook. Perhaps the minor tidbit of not knowing that they should use the word "effect" and not "affect" when describing the impact of energy saving features was a giveaway of the study's efficacy?

So, is the conclusion of the study that AC on is always less efficient than AC off and windows down, as illustrated by the graphs? Or is the conclusion that at certain speeds, AC on is better on fuel than windows down, which was highlighted by many analysts and SAE engineers, but never graphically showed on the report?

And then you wonder why beancounters sneer at engineers.

He has not posted in almost two months and you still take shots at him?  :rolleyes:

422790[/snapback]

Uhhhhh....."Retatta"?

EVERYONE'S taking shots at him, Rock.....why you singling ME out??!!?? Or is such talk prohibited for those outside of the special circle?

Leave it to engineers to conduct a study that offers no conclusive summary after reading 16 pages of engineering gobbledygook.  Perhaps the minor tidbit of not knowing that they should use the word "effect" and not "affect" when describing the impact of energy saving features was a giveaway of the study's efficacy?

So, is the conclusion of the study that AC on is always less efficient than AC off and windows down, as illustrated by the graphs?  Or is the conclusion that at certain speeds, AC on is better on fuel than windows down, which was highlighted by many analysts and SAE engineers, but never graphically showed on the report?

423021[/snapback]

The A/C is always less efficient. If you can find a three MPH curve when the car is going downhill, with a tailwind, in Texas, on a Tuesday where that is not true, fine. For the other 99.5% of the time, the A/C remains OFF to save gas. Anyone with a thimbleful of knowledge about cars knows that.

The A/C is always less efficient. If you can find a three MPH curve when the car is going downhill, with a tailwind, in Texas, on a Tuesday where that is not true, fine. For the other 99.5% of the time, the A/C remains OFF to save gas. Anyone with a thimbleful of knowledge about cars knows that.

423051[/snapback]

Well, it's certainly not the conclusion that every linked report said (even your SAE report.) They were consistent in saying that at certain speeds, you're better off rolling up the windows & turning on the AC.

The other part about the graph that I don't understand is the exponential curve of running the AC in an SUV. To me the graph says that the gas consumption of running the AC goes up in proportion with speed, which inherently doesn't make sense. Why would the compressor consume more energy if you're driving at a faster speed?

423051[/snapback]

I will put this argument to rest. The best scientific minds our country has to offer (Myth Busters from the Discovery Channel) conducted an experiment that conclusively found that driving with your windows down and AC off saves more feul than driving with windows up with AC on.

Leave it to engineers to conduct a study that offers no conclusive summary after reading 16 pages of engineering gobbledygook.  Perhaps the minor tidbit of not knowing that they should use the word "effect" and not "affect" when describing the impact of energy saving features was a giveaway of the study's efficacy?

So, is the conclusion of the study that AC on is always less efficient than AC off and windows down, as illustrated by the graphs?  Or is the conclusion that at certain speeds, AC on is better on fuel than windows down, which was highlighted by many analysts and SAE engineers, but never graphically showed on the report?

423021[/snapback]

That study would be just a little more impressive if any of the pretty multicolor graphs had a vertical scale labelled. :rolleyes:

But they're pretty multicolored graphs...they must be right.

Well, it's certainly not the conclusion that every linked report said (even your SAE report.)  They were consistent in saying that at certain speeds, you're better off rolling up the windows & turning on the AC.

The other part about the graph that I don't understand is the exponential curve of running the AC in an SUV.  To me the graph says that the gas consumption of running the AC goes up in proportion with speed, which inherently doesn't make sense.  Why would the compressor consume more energy if you're driving at a faster speed?

423065[/snapback]

It's a logarithmic curve. The actual values are the nearly straight lines towards the bottom of that graph, which show that the energy required to run the compressor goes down slightly with speed.

Basically, they plotted two different graphs - kW/speed and log(kw)/speed - on the same scale, which is total bull sh--. You can't compare kilowatts to log(kilowatts). Like I said, sh-- study.

Uhhhhh....."Retatta"?

EVERYONE'S taking shots at him, Rock.....why you singling ME out??!!?? Or is such talk prohibited for those outside of the special circle?

423047[/snapback]

You crossed the line?

Not speaking for anybody else but, you did take a pretty PERSONAL jab by stating "fat drunken boy from Indiana".

I have been here off and on in the past couple of months and knew exactly who you were talking about... I know nothing of what "Retatta" and what it means. It is still coded for me having never scoured the boards and I prefer to have it that way.

Just my $.02.

Wear and tear on your vehicel can be greater if you drive LESS than more.  Not letting your engine heat up can be ruinous to a lot of systems on it.

Stuck in Cincy... Care to expand on how short drives can be bad?

422393[/snapback]

Sure..moving assemblies expand with the heat of use and wear according to design. A rapid hot and cold cycle results in variance in lubricity (sluggish cold oil causing friction and early shut-down not putting enough heat energy into the sump contents, resulting in an uneven block and head and transmission warm-up.

Analogy. In January, go outside and dump a gallon of cold water over your head. Wait ten minutes. Then jog in place for ten minutes. Then pour another gallon of water on yourself. Stand still and stiff for ten minutes.

Feeling good? :rolleyes:

Sure..moving assemblies expand with the heat of use and wear according to design. A rapid hot and cold cycle results in variance in lubricity (sluggish cold oil causing friction and early shut-down not putting enough heat energy into the sump contents, resulting in an uneven block and head and transmission warm-up.

Analogy.  In January, go outside and dump a gallon of cold water over your head. Wait ten minutes. Then jog in place for ten minutes.  Then pour another gallon of water on yourself. Stand still and stiff for ten minutes.

Feeling good? :lol:

423107[/snapback]

See...I knew who would have the best explanation!

:rolleyes:;)

Analogy.  In January, go outside and dump a gallon of cold water over your head. Wait ten minutes. Then jog in place for ten minutes.  Then pour another gallon of water on yourself. Stand still and stiff for ten minutes.

Feeling good? :rolleyes:

423107[/snapback]

I actually understood that.

Although I question whether "lubricity" is actually a word.

As far as I am concerned, there is just about nothing prohibited here. If there is an inner circle, they have my e-mail address if they want me. :rolleyes:

It is one thing to single out a dumb statement - Rettata and Google searches come to mind. So do 'tennis balls in the plughole' and 'I peed with Dorenbos' - both mine. :lol: I like a laugh as much as anyone.

We have known each other a long time Rich. Why so sensitive? It is one thing to tease about a dumb statement or rant; it is another to take a personal shot at someone, especially since they left here.

I avoid a lot of stuff, so I do not always know (or care) what everyone else is doing, but this caught my eye as I surfed through. I was not trying to single you out. I ask you a simple question and you respond with basically "everyone is doing it and why are you picking on me"? ;) You can do better than that! :lol:

If I see ya at the tail gate, I will buy you an ale. Don't take it so seriously. :lol:

Uhhhhh....."Retatta"?

423047[/snapback]