So how much does JP play in finale?

Right now he still needs some more game experience, so I'd like to see another half for him. I know this is the 'ol leave the busses running game, but I don't think he's at the point where we can afford to blow this game off and have him ready for the opener. I'd like to see him work out some more of the kinks and build some confidence heading into the season. Curious what others thought?

I think he'll start into the third quarter, unless things are not going well. I agree, he needs to get more comfortable and work up his confidence. I think this is both why he'll play more than a typical strting QB, but also why they'll yank him if things get ugly (a bad day for JPL or penalties, bad blocking, a surprising Detroit D??, bad luck...etc.)

Was it Mularkey hat said he thought it was important the first-stringers get used to coming out of halftime mentally ready to play?

Momentum and success are so important to the prospects for this team this year, that I would be guided in how long he plays by what happens rather than how he does it.

I am really looking to establish ourselves early and even though nothing can really replace him learning from experience by getting experience, I think the fortunes of the team will not rise or fall on how much experience he gets (I guarantee he will be at most a one year starter in terms of pro experience at the end of the season) but will actually rise or fall in terms of how the whole team performs and whether they pick up for each other.

If we score in the first series, unless it is on a runback, I declare victory and sit im down. I know playing out the rest of the half woukld give him valuable game experience but this pales next to the benefit if he leads the team on a 4-5 minute drive to a score.

Likewise, if he struggles the first quarter or even the first half, I probably make adjustments at the half and give him the opening O series to try to end on a positive note.

So whther it is an early hook or late one, I take him out when it builds the momentum for the 1st game. if he sucks and fails completely then we gotta play but its back to the drawing board.

If he comes out and plays well on his first series, drives, and either scores or sets up a score, he'll probably play only one or two series. If he plays crappy, i think he'll play the half. It's not just JP though... If the entire offensive line gets subbed out, so will JP. It just depends on how well they play. This game will be a final practice and confidence builder.

I`d say a half..2nd half ..Iwouldn`t mind seeing Kelly play the first half against the starters..sorry this is about now...this team seems ready and I think they owe it to the rest of the team to put the best Q.B. on the field .PERIOD :P

421137[/snapback]

If your hanging your hopes on Holcumb being the best QB on the team, just remember that the Browns ditched him for Mr. Trent "what the heck is he still doin in the NFL?" Dilfer. Can you at least see what the kid does in real games before you start making Holcumb out to be some football star? I don't mean to burst your bubble, but he never was a football star with the Browns.

the problem w/ the 4th game is that the lions will not be playing their starters more than a series or two. i don't want the bills' starters in there against 2nd and 3rd stringers desperate to make the team. too much of an injury risk.

JP gets a series or two, max. the 4th preseason game is essentially just a "last gasp" for the players on the bubble.

holcomb and matthews should get a lot of work.

the problem w/ the 4th game is that the lions will not be playing their starters more than a series or two.  i don't want the bills' starters in there against 2nd and 3rd stringers desperate to make the team.  too much of an injury risk.

421659[/snapback]

I agree with you. The other thing about getting JP more time is that you don't want to leave him out there with the Bills second tear support cast either. I say either play the starters or don't, but don't let JP hang behind and inferior line against players trying to make their mark in the league.