USA Today Article on Bledsoe

Rico

More Excuses

Read this while eating breakfast at the hotel this morning,

couldn't help but laugh! ;)

"If you're looking for fair, this is the wrong game to be in," he says. "But at the same time, look at what's happened.

"When I went to Buffalo, I went into a situation where I was expected to carry the team, and really, from a passing standpoint that first year, that happened. So we set the bar, the expectations are there, and then we trade away 70% of the passing game (including Peerless Price) and expected the same results.

"And then last year we pretty much elected to hand the ball off and throw it short, and never throw the ball downfield. So is that fair? Is it fair that all that's thrown on my lap? No, it's not fair, but if I went around looking for fair in football, or even life, I'd already have gone crazy."

That's it. Drew finally deserves all kinds of wrath and ill-wishes.

The expectations for him were too high, they asked me to

be a leader, they thought I could turn the franchise around.

.WAAAAAAAAAAAAh , not fair, WAAAAAAAAAAAAh

how dare they believe in me, it was not fair.

I am curious whether he went into this rant or it was in response to a question of whehter he felt that life in general or the Bills in particular the last two seasons had treated him fairly.

To the extent it makes a difference if this is his proactive line well boo-hoo and ain't it a shame. If this is his reactive line, then he isn't being fully accurate because there are several things at fault for removing 70% of the passing game in 2003:

1. TD certainly gets blame for trading Price, but he also get credit for the outcome which was being able to pick McGahee with the pick he got for Price. I think folks make that trade any day of the week given their output since the trade and WM even had to sit a year. Add to this that just about everybody believed Josh Reed would be a fine #2 after he was quite productive as a rookie (most of my post were throwing cold water on those who expected him to equal PP's 2002 #s. Even if Reed had a great year and doubled his 2002 production in 2003 it still would have been well short of PP's 2002 #2.

2. He should blame fate in that the only way you can really say 70% of the passing game went away is to lump the loss of Moulds in and that was due to injury so I don't think the loss was unfair on anyone's part. Perhaps you want to blame folks for unfair expectations but...

3. He himself really needs to take part of the blame. He never stood up to Killdrive who refused to vary his method after folks had enough tape to figure it out and BB provided a roadmap on how to make it tough for Bledsoe in his games. Bledsoe hitting his helmet and clearly sayin D'Oh after he threw the ball away OB on 4th down in a late game was merely a summary of his work and production after the team failed to score a TD on O in multiple games in mid-season.

MM/TC did simplify the game by taking away some of Bledsoe's ability to audible last year(Killdrive was pass-happy and Bledsoe audibled out of the few 2rd and short runs he called to make the pass-insane) but oddly enough Bledsoe produced roughly the same QB rating last year as the year before without throwing downfield and we have a much more productive O. Bledsoe does not explain this at all.

These quotes from Bledsoe are from his farewell conference call with the Buffalo media, which you is archived on BuffaloBills.com. It is kind of misleading, as the article seems to imply that Bledsoe, 5 months later is still wracked with bitterness toward the Bills. While I am sure TD and MM are not on his Christmas card list, I seriously doubt he is still talking about this stuff, when he is in the midst of a training camp, with a new team.

Incidently FFS is right. In the conference call, the writer asks Drew if he felt happened was "fair".

About a week or two ago on the NFL Network, Bledsoe talked about how he was replaced in both Buffalo and New England by younger, unproven guys.....and how it was the wrong decision in both instances. Since JP hasn't started a single game yet, he can get by with part of that comment (even though we all know it WAS the right decision to get rid of his ass).....but to say it was the wrong decision in NE??? He is clueless.....

About a week or two ago on the NFL Network, Bledsoe talked about how he was replaced in both Buffalo and New England by younger, unproven guys.....and how it was the wrong decision in both instances. Since JP hasn't started a single game yet, he can get by with part of that comment (even though we all know it WAS the right decision to get rid of his ass).....but to say it was the wrong decision in NE???  He is clueless.....

418346[/snapback]

*Gets out the world's smallest violin and starts playing for Drew*

During the 6-10 year if I'm not mistaken, we went something like 6 or 7 straight games without an offensive Touchdown. I don't care if you have Ralph Wilson and Marv Levy as your starting wideouts, if you're a 12 year "pro bowl" caliber Qb, then you find a way to get the ball in the end zone. That stretch of games was some of the most atrocious offensive football I have ever seen.

These quotes from Bledsoe are from his farewell conference call with the Buffalo media, which you is archived on BuffaloBills.com.  It is kind of misleading, as the article seems to imply that Bledsoe, 5 months later is still wracked with bitterness toward the Bills. While I am sure TD and MM are not on his Christmas card list, I seriously doubt he is still talking about this stuff, when he is in the midst of a training camp, with a new team.

Incidently FFS is right.  In the conference call, the writer asks Drew if he felt happened was "fair".

418330[/snapback]

well, to be "fair," it doesn't really matter when bledsoe said these things. as a 12-year NFL veteran, he should know better than to allow himself to be baited by a reporter; furthermore, bledsoe should be grateful to the bills for being the only organization willing to try and resurrect his career.

what bledsoe's comments reveal is that, despite all of the "good guy" rhetoric, he is still an NFL egomaniac at heart who believes he is right and everyone else is wrong.

was bledsoe bitching and moaning about "losing 70% of the passing offense" after week 2 of the 2003 season?

i don't generally root against specific players; i find it to be tasteless. but in this instance, i'll get some sense of satisfaction seeing bledsoe stumble and bumble in dallas this year.

About a week or two ago on the NFL Network, Bledsoe talked about how he was replaced in both Buffalo and New England by younger, unproven guys.....and how it was the wrong decision in both instances. Since JP hasn't started a single game yet, he can get by with part of that comment (even though we all know it WAS the right decision to get rid of his ass).....but to say it was the wrong decision in NE???  He is clueless.....

418346[/snapback]

I saw that too. How the hell can he say that replacing him with Brady was the wrong decision.. :lol:

I saw that too.  How the hell can he say that replacing him with Brady was the wrong decision.. :lol:

418376[/snapback]

As lame as Brady is, he'll be in the HOF some day. Bledsoe thinks he should still have his job in NE?????? WHAT?

My question for Drew would be: What happened to the last 50% of your first season???????????????  :lol:

418365[/snapback]

I love this little piece of BS that has grown to such legend around here.

He passed for 4300 yards! He didn't do it all in the first half. Yeah the records reversed but he ended up 8-8, 5 games better than the 3-13 team he came to.

And Price, Riemersma, Larry Centers gone the next year and Moulds out 4, Travis out 4(and Moulds returning with no interest in running at above 40% capacity) all Bledsoe's fault. People are too damn lazy to look beyond the frikkin' QB position for answers and blame. Blame the QB.

I pity poor Losman. He doesn't have a clue what it's going to be like when the Anybody But Bledsoe crowd wakes up .

I love this little piece of BS that has grown to such legend around here.

He passed for 4300 yards!  He didn't do it all in the first half.  Yeah the records reversed but he ended up 8-8, 5 games better than the 3-13 team he came to.

And Price, Riemersma, Larry Centers gone the next year and Moulds out 4, Travis out 4(and Moulds returning with no interest in running at above 40% capacity) all Bledsoe's fault.  People are too damn lazy to look beyond the frikkin' QB position for answers and blame.  Blame the QB. 

I pity poor Losman.  He doesn't have a clue what it's going to be like when the Anybody But Bledsoe crowd wakes up .

418415[/snapback]

You still have that Bledsoe jersey don't you? it's okay, we understand.