clements worth top dollar?

yes or no? i say yes

411527[/snapback]

It really doesn't matter. TD will not tie up a very big chunk of the salary cap for one player and thus be unable to sign other good ones that we need to make up a competitive 53 man roster. And, that makes sense for me.

as much as i hate to say it, Clements will not be in a bills uni next year. he will not get that money from donahue and i cant say i dont agree. no sense in tying up that much money for one person. NO THANKS!

Yes, he is worth top dollar. He shuts down virtually everyone he lines up against and is a phenomonal punt returner. He deservers to get paid. I don't think he will because cb's are expensive these days, but I sure wish he'd stay a Bill for a long long time.

NC is worth top 4-6 CB money. If TD gives NC #1 CB money(i'm the best)...TD he would be out of his mind!

Not that it's gospel, but here is the AP 2004 All Pro team voting at CB...

Cornerbacks

Ronde Barber, Tampa Bay, 17

Champ Bailey, Denver, and Lito Sheppard, Philadelphia, 15

Chris McAlister, Baltimore, 12

Shawn Springs, Washington, 10

Torry James, Cincinnati, 8

Nate Clements, Buffalo, 6

Dunta Robinson, Houston, 3

Dre' Bly, Detroit, 2

Gary Baxter, Baltimore, 1; Patrick Surtain, Miami, 1; Marcus Trufant, Seattle, 1; Andre Dyson, Tennessee, 1; Sam Madison, Miami, 1; Deshea Townsend, Pittsburgh, 1; Fred Smoot, Washington, 1; Antonio Winfield, Minnesota, 1.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1960706

Being From Lousiana i really haven't seen the bills come on the tv. but i know the last three seasons he has matched up with elite receivers like Randy moss, Marvin Harrison, and to mention he stop the on going record jerry rice had for the last 14-15 years. held him to no catches. Now i know he was on the down side

Yes, if it is between the 3-7 range of pay for the top CB's in the league, I don't see him making top dollar here. And ufortunately for him we are gaining depth at the position.

I do think that Clements likes to play in Buffalo and hope that he stays. However, aren't you going to say that you want to be somewhere if they are willing to pay the most. Whoever signs him next spring will be the place "that I really wanted to be"

I don't know if TD will pay it but just based on the numbers of previous deals, his tackles and int numbers, and his age, there is no way Nate signs with the Bills for less than 7 yrs for $56, $18 bonus. He WILL get more on the open market because he is much more productive than McAlister. he might go for a 6 yr deal for $47 with $13 bonus.

Bailey - 7 for $63, $18 bonus

McAlister - 7 for $55, $17.5

Surtain - 7 for $51, $14

Lucas - 6 for $36, $13

Millions, by the way. Just giving what I think is his market value is... but what do I know...

Anybody think that clements will take the average of the top three Corners in the league's contract? Back load the money, etc. but give him a big signing bonus. I don't mind the bonus being large because i don't have any doubt about him being cut while here, and thus never having dead-cap space.

In 2001, TD was wise to give Moulds the huge contract as he was the only stud on a team that was in transition. I guess you could make the case for Cowart as well, but it turned out that letting him go was the right decision. Anyways, fast forward to 2005 and the team is full of studs both drafted and aquired through free agency. At this point, it makes no sense to sign Clements to the monster contract and tie up that much of the cap. There are simply too many stud playmakers on this team.

I don't know if TD will pay it but just based on the numbers of previous deals, his tackles and int numbers, and his age, there is no way Nate signs with the Bills for less than 7 yrs for $56, $18 bonus.  He WILL get more on the open market because he is much more productive than McAlister.  he might go for a 6 yr deal for $47 with $13 bonus.

Bailey - 7 for $63, $18 bonus

McAlister - 7 for $55, $17.5

Surtain - 7 for $51, $14

Lucas - 6 for $36, $13

Millions, by the way.  Just giving what I think is his market value is... but what do I know...

411667[/snapback]

Great post. This makes it clear what the real cap implications are. A $15 - $18 million bonus would count about $2.5 - $3 million per year against the cap, and the salary would probably be something like $3 million in year 1, $4 million in year 2, etc. Looks relatively affordable in the first 2-3 years, but thereafter he'll be getting pretty close to 10% of the entire cap -- and escalating each year. And if things change (ie injury) and we need to cut him after 4 years -- huge cap hit that gets accelerated into one year.

Personally, I don't see TD offering more than a $12-$14 million bonus, because I think he does not believe in setting up the team to have to face that kind of salary cap situation down the road. I don't think he will think that it's worthwhile to tie up that kind of cap space on a CB. This unfortunately means the playmaker is gone.

I will agree with TD if this is the call. I really like NC, but I think there are only a few positions that are worth that kind of commitment (DE, QB and maybe RB). If Willis has the kind of year everyone is expecting, he's going to need a new deal in another year or 2, which is going to be expensive. Also, giving out huge deals to non-critical positions means you can't jump on a guy like Lawyer Milloy when he becomes available.

BTW, this is all academic if JP doesn't deliver.

In 2001, TD was wise to give Moulds the huge contract as he was the only stud on a team that was in transition.  I guess you could make the case for Cowart as well, but it turned out that letting him go was the right decision.  Anyways, fast forward to 2005 and the team is full of studs both drafted and aquired through free agency.  At this point, it makes no sense to sign Clements to the monster contract and tie up that much of the cap.  There are simply too many stud playmakers on this team.

411725[/snapback]

Let me preface this by saying that Clements is probably my favorite Bills player....however, I don't think TD should (or would) make him the top paid CB in the leauge. As boomer points out, there is a lot of defensive talent on this squad. Even if Clements is the best in the leauge, a good front seven can mask an average or adequate secondary. Clements has improved over the years, but I gotta say, I am not buying that he is the best CB in the NFL.

It seems like this opinion started early in this post-season, when his impending free-agency was discussed. First, they were saying he would be the best free-agent corner in next years free agent crop, and then it became he is the best CB in the NFL! I never heard him mentioned as being one of the elite corners in the leauge last season. More than his coverage skills, what I have always liked about Clements is his knack for big plays. During the SB years, Cornelius Bennett had that kind of mojo. Clements has it now...

I never thought I would be in agreement with both boomer and Jerry Sullivan, in the same week, nonetheless... :devil:

Let me preface this by saying that Clements is probably my favorite Bills player....however, I don't think TD should (or would) make him the top paid CB in the leauge.  As boomer points out, there is a lot of defensive talent on this squad. Even if Clements is the best in the leauge, a good front seven can mask an average or adequate secondary.  Clements has improved over the years, but I gotta say, I am not buying that he is the best CB in the NFL. 

It seems like this opinion started early in this post-season, when his impending free-agency was discussed.  First, they were saying he would be the best free-agent corner in next years free agent crop, and then it became he is the best CB in the NFL!  I never heard him mentioned as being one of the elite corners in the leauge last season.  More than his coverage skills, what I have always liked about Clements is his knack for big plays.  During the SB years, Cornelius Bennett had that kind of mojo.  Clements has it now...

I never thought I would be in agreement with both boomer and Jerry Sullivan, in the same week, nonetheless... :devil:

411892[/snapback]

That's great.

I completely agree with your assessment of Clements, and it's his physical style of play that I have been most impressed with. Do you ever get the feeling that he may have a slight chip on his shoulder that TD traded down in the draft to get him, and gave him a subsequently lower contract?