clements worth top dollar?

yes or no? i say yes

411527[/snapback]

Yes. Nate is awesome. When you consider his coverage ability, ball skills, run support, durability and sheer playmaking skills as a punt returner or on defense, who is better?

Nobody.

Stats don't mean everything, but when you look at his, he just blows away a lot of hyped higher profile corners and he is a Dolphin killer to boot. He's not as dominant as a born HOF'er like Bruce Smith, but the arguments against Clements play remind me of those against Bruce in his day. Nate doesn't have to pick off a pass per game and never be burnt to be the best, IMO he is unsurpassed by his present day peers even if fans are too busy looking at the color of the grass Champ Bailey or whomever is standing on to notice that Nate is more productive.

Champ Bailey gets $63 for 6 years, I think.

Nate wants more than that?

I say, just franchise him and get a good draft pick out of the deal.

The Chesapeake Basin Indiginous Peoples or some other team will pay him.

$11 million per year for a cornerback? I would say NO.

Champ Bailey gets $63 for 6 years, I think.

Nate wants more than that?

I say, just franchise him and get a good draft pick out of the deal.

The Chesapeake Basin Indiginous Peoples or some other team will pay him.

$11 million per year for a cornerback? I would say NO.

412789[/snapback]

Oops, someone posted actual numbers, Bailey 7 yrs/63 mil.

Even at "only" $9M/year, I don't think it is prudent.

No.

Good cornerbacks are almost a dime a dozen in this league now. Elite shutdown cornerbacks are much harder to find. Nate Clements straddles the line between good and great, but he is not an elite shutdown corner, IMO.

I would be more satisfied with a good cornerback (younger than NC) than tie up $65 million over six years for Clements. That opens money up for need positions, like the OL.

Mike