Pat Kirwan on WEEI in Boston

hi..I'm a Bills fan living in Boston and this morning, I happened to hear Pat Kirwan on WEEI's Dennis and Callahan show. They talked about the Pats..the usual stuff we hear on the Pats and how they were going to be good, etc.

They asked Kirwan about the Bills and he said he had the opportunity to visit camp. He felt that they made the right decision to go with Losman but it was probably going to be a year before we got to the 11 or 12 win total. He felt they would be around 8-8. He did say Losman was going to be very good and he has all the tools.

Not anything we haven't heard before..just thought you'd all like to know.

Actually I think they do get it. You can't successfully run the ball if the defense doesn't think your QB is capable. How Losman (or Holcomb) goes, so goes the Bills playoff chances.

These guys just dont friggen get it......

We are not going to RELY on Losman this year.....

We are going to pound the ball.....play solid defense...win field position with our special teams......and put Losman in a situation where he can succeed........

My prediction 10-6

404965[/snapback]

Pat Kirwan is my friends uncle. I met him at my friend's graduation party 4 years ago. He was sitting around talking football and sounding like a complete jack ass. He sees it his way and no other. I remeber he made a few sure bets and none of them came true. I was busting my friends chops all year about his "Genius" uncle's predictions. He was a bit of a snyde punk too. I wasn't, and still am not, fond of that guy.

hi..I'm a Bills fan living in Boston and this morning, I happened to hear Pat Kirwan on WEEI's Dennis and Callahan show. They talked about the Pats..the usual stuff we hear on the Pats and how they were going to be good, etc.

They asked Kirwan about the Bills and he said he had the opportunity to visit camp.  He felt that they made the right decision to go with Losman but it was probably going to be a year before we got to the 11 or 12 win total. He felt they would be around 8-8. He did say Losman was going to be very good and he has all the tools.

Not anything we haven't heard before..just thought you'd all like to know.

404962[/snapback]

All guests on WEEI are expected to drink the Pats kool-aid. They are there to massage the egos of the listeners. If anyone ever went on and told them the truth, they probably wouldn't be invited back.

Keep in mind that many pundits like Kirwin, Peter King, etc. get paid. If they went on and said "Pats fans should be worried about the Bills" they would get dropped.

PTR

Pat Kirwan is my friends uncle.  I met him at my friend's graduation party 4 years ago.  He was sitting around talking football and sounding like a complete jack ass.  He sees it his way and no other.  I remeber he made a few sure bets and none of them came true.  I was busting my friends chops all year about his "Genius" uncle's predictions.  He was a bit of a snyde punk too.  I wasn't, and still am not, fond of that guy.

404981[/snapback]

interesting perspective. goes to show that different people see things differently. i've been listening to kirwan pretty regularly for the past year, since he has been on sirius nfl radio, and i have to say that i respect his insight and knowledge of the game.

that doesn't mean he's always right, of course -- but who is?

can't say that i've ever met the man or spent time with him, however. it's a shame that he came across like a know-it-all at the party you attended.

John has your season prediction ever been below 10-6 or 11-5? :D

We are going to pound the ball.....play solid defense...win field position with our special teams......and put Losman in a situation where he can succeed........

My prediction 10-6

404965[/snapback]

interesting perspective.  goes to show that different people see things differently.  i've been listening to kirwan pretty regularly for the past year, since he has been on sirius nfl radio, and i have to say that i respect his insight and knowledge of the game.

that doesn't mean he's always right, of course -- but who is?

can't say that i've ever met the man or spent time with him, however.  it's a shame that he came across like a know-it-all at the party you attended.

404994[/snapback]

Well it was kind of like people crowded around the "celebrity" making him out to be the greatest analyst ever. He played the role. I believe he is a jets fan. Not sure if he favors them when he analyzes.

My prediction 10-6

404965[/snapback]

Sounds an awful lot like the gameplan last year. We were 9-7.

Will a healthy Willis for 4 months and a more experienced coach help? Probably.

Will our defense and Special Teams combine for 10 TD returns this year? Probably not.

Actually I think they do get it. You can't successfully run the ball if the defense doesn't think your QB is capable. How Losman (or Holcomb) goes, so goes the Bills playoff chances.

Agreed - our playoff hopes and success this year depends on what we get out of the QB, and I really don't see this as debatable.

I BILLieve we are going to struggle.

I'm as excited as any about football starting but I'm not going to drink the Donohoe kool aid and think we are going to come out and shock the world.

1. Our O line is, to be nice, questionable

2. Our QB is a rookie and not only learning the system but growing as a leader

3. Will our D line be a sieve in the run game with the loss of Pat Williams?

Yes we have a deep LB core, a great secondary and a fantastic special teams unit.

But, will this get it done? I doubt it. We aren't a team that is set to make a run, just yet.

Could I be wrong? sure but that's my opinion on what I see. I'll still support the team but I ain't buying the Donohoe Kool aid that's been set in front of us year after year just because I root for blue and red laundry.

Agreed - our playoff hopes and success this year depends on what we get out of the QB, and I really don't see this as debatable.

405003[/snapback]

Well, maybe just a little debatable...

Offensive balance is what will be needed to succeed. We cannot think that the Bills will just line up and run the ball down everyone's throats all day w/ no support from the passing game. They'll need to rely on both to do well. The teams that don't have balance are the ones that suffer nowadays. Look at Pittsburgh. Everyone sees them as a 'run the ball down your throat' team, and yes, they do run a lot and run the ball well, but they've also had Pro Bowl players @ QB and WR in recent years as well, because they knew they had to be able to back the defense off the line w/ a good passing game. Personally, I think JP will do okay for us, but I do feel he'll have a period of time where he will struggle to get into a groove. Once he gets past that, I'm sure we'll see why Donahoe traded back into the first round to get him last year.

My prediction 10-6

404965[/snapback]

Its seems that every year the journalists outside the Buffalo area predict that the Bills will be somewhere in the 6-10 to 9-7 range and every year the people on this board say, "they just don't get it" or "the national media doesn't pay attention to the Bills the way we do" or "we never get any respect!". Then, 5 months later the Bills finish in the 6-10 to 9-7 range.

As for this year, you can only protect a young QB so much. Unless you have an absolute dominating Oline in the running game you really can't hide your QB. Eventually he will have to make plays and avoid costly turnovers. The national media is right, the Bills will go as far as Losman can take them. I don't even think the national media is judging Losman off of how good they think the kid is, they're simply going by history. And history says the Bills won't go the playoffs this year.

Well it was kind of like people crowded around the "celebrity" making him out to be the greatest analyst ever.  He played the role.  I believe he is a jets fan.  Not sure if he favors them when he analyzes.

405000[/snapback]

he's a new yorker and was the jets' personnel guy for a while -- i've got to believe he is still a fan. nonetheless, i have the impression that he is pretty fair in his assessments.

today, for example, he was very critical of the jets' defense and their problems on the d line.

Personally, I'm hoping for a .500 season but I don't think we'll see that. The NFL will key on the running game and hope JP can beat them. I don't think he can, yet.

The line has to play better than last year and the receivers must not drop balls like they did last year.

I don't know how we'll cope w/o Pat Williams. He was such a run stopper. We're going to need that again because our pass rush is mediocre, at best.

Well it was kind of like people crowded around the "celebrity" making him out to be the greatest analyst ever.  He played the role.  I believe he is a jets fan.  Not sure if he favors them when he analyzes.

405000[/snapback]

He was a GM with the Jets, he knows football and personnel very well. I listen to him daily on Sirius and find him to be a great analyst, I also think he has a great demeanor, very likeable. I have to think your cousin or friend were exagerating to some extent.

Keep in mind that many pundits like Kirwin, Peter King, etc. get paid.  If they went on and said "Pats fans should be worried about the Bills" they would get dropped.

404992[/snapback]

Yeah, or if somebody like King predicted Jake Plummer to be the league MVP 2 years in a row....oh wait.... :D