Did Mel Kiper see the same scrimmage I did?

I heard Mel Kiper & John Clayton on ESPN radio today

roughly paraphasing, Mel said:

"I saw the Green Bay scrimmage. JP Losman looked real "iffy" out there. The Bills have other pieces in place - good D, 3 WRs, RB, but QB is weak link. JP will make some good throws, but will several bad throws in a row. you cant have a bad quarter in a game & win consistently in the NFL

Clayton then agreed, stating Bills have other pieces in place, with Defense and Skill positions on O, but there are real questions at QB

Did anyone else hear this? My quote is not exact since it was several hours ago, but he did say his play was "iffy" and the tone was that he was a weakness.

First I thought Kiper loved JP based on his draft comments. Second, JP mostly looked good for a first scrimmage (6 completions and 4 fist down throws on 2 drives) There were a couple of bad throws and no TD passes.

If I had not seen the game and was listening to Kiper today, I would have thought JP stunk it up.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does John Clayton EVER get tired of being wrong about the Bills this offseason?

This to me proves that Losman will kick ass this season...not because of what I've seen, but because Clayton says he wont do well. That's like a leprechaun on Losman's shoulder all year long.

Depends. While I didn't see it, I have seen quite a few folks here say that JP looked bad. Throwing 54% with some very bad throws, low, and a sure pick that was dropped is not exactly lighting it up. I honestly do not know what to expect from JP at this point. However, I know that throwing 54% and thorwing a pick every 11 attempts is going to lose a lot of games for us.

JP started good... then dropped off... clayton and kiper must have turned it on at 8:15

401047[/snapback]

Just reading what they said, sounds like they say it all:

"I saw the Green Bay scrimmage. JP Losman looked real "iffy" out there. The Bills have other pieces in place - good D, 3 WRs, RB, but QB is weak link. JP will make some good throws, but will several bad throws in a row. you cant have a bad quarter in a game & win consistently in the NFL."

It sure seems like a lot of people are upset that the media has not annointed us superbowl champs yet and want to jump all over the messengers. Give it a break, people. We havn't even had a preseason game yet!

Just reading what they said, sounds like they say it all:

"I saw the Green Bay scrimmage. JP Losman looked real "iffy" out there. The Bills have other pieces in place - good D, 3 WRs, RB, but QB is weak link. JP will make some good throws, but will several bad throws in a row. you cant have a bad quarter in a game & win consistently in the NFL."

It sure seems like a lot of people are upset that the media has not annointed us superbowl champs yet and want to jump all over the messengers. Give it a break, people. We havn't even had a preseason game yet!

401061[/snapback]

It's amazing how people see what they want. I saw JP play well. So did most of the press posted in the articles on Two Bills Drive. I'm speechless that people think he was bad. He as good as Favre.

PTR

All of a sudden I'm reading posts that JP sucked in the GB scrimmage. Are you kidding me? The guys has 2-3 bad passes and he sucks?? Never mind evrything he did well.

I'm convinced now that either people want JP to fail, or are so convinced that the Bills will suck, their brains filter out the good and magnify the bad. That is the only possible explanation.

As for Kiper and Clayton saying JP looked "iffy" consider the source. When did these numbnuts ever get anything right about the Bills? They probably fast-forwarded the TIVO and saw one incomplete pass.

PTR

I'm a little stunned as well. JP looked good -- or at the very least, did as well as can be expected. Besides the near INT in the flat (and God knows Kelly/Bledsoe had plenty of them), there wasn't much to fault his play. Hard to expect him to play any better at this point in the season. Can anyone honestly say that Farve looked better? (NO - I'm not comparing JP to Farve -- simply on how each played on Friday night).

I'm not a big Bills optimist - but, damn, I felt good about JP and the Bills.

It's amazing how people see what they want.  I saw JP play well.  So did most of the press posted in the articles on Two Bills Drive.  I'm speechless that people think he was bad.  He as good as Favre.

PTR

401064[/snapback]

They didn't say he was bad, but that he was inconsistent. They said (according to the paraphrase) some good, some bad, but you don't win consistently by playing streaky. You can debate the importance, but you can't deny the fact that he started off 3/3, and then went 3/8 the rest of the way. At the end of the day he was 6/11. I didn't see the game, but those sound like iffy numbers to me.

After 2 intense years of Bills fans feeling humiliated and enraged over our QB position, I think it's only natural for some to be over-critical of J.P... it's embedded in their mindset. Sooner or later, they'll come around. :D

I'm convinced now that either people are so convinced that the Bills will suck, their brains filter out the good and magnify the bad.  That is the only possible explanation.

PTR

401069[/snapback]

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Bills fans have been doing that for years! :D

They didn't say he was bad, but that he was inconsistent. They said (according to the paraphrase) some good, some bad, but you don't win consistently by playing streaky. You can debate the importance, but you can't deny the fact that he started off 3/3, and then went 3/8 the rest of the way. At the end of the day he was 6/11. I didn't see the game, but those sound like iffy numbers to me.

401072[/snapback]

They gave him some nice, easy, extended handoff type passes to start with and he completed them. I really like this offensive staffs playcalling, they are clever and keep defenses off balance and it should have been a great confidence builder for Losman, but when they gave JP the opportunity to throw the ball downfield he was simply awful. JP then had some discouraged body language going on and things seemed to snowball. He was outplayed(relatively) by all 3 backups. I hope he doesn't turn out to be a scattergun, but as I've said before, he reminds me of Donovan McNabb and McNabb was terrible in the preseason prior to his second year, then proceeded to lead the Eagles to the playoffs that season.

I personally think JP did "OK" last night. He looked to be playing it conservative though. He passed up running in a potential TD to throw it to Reed out of the end zone. He had Evans with a step on the CB, but overthrew him instead of risking an interception. He hit safety valves instead of looking downfield, granted by design. This leads me to my question:

Is Mike Mularkey's personality too subdoed to know how to use a momentum driven, emotional leader like Losman?

Favre is Favre because he goes with the flow. Flutie has the same personality, but is 5'7". Kelly...worked off of feel, not a playbook. It seems like JP is the same type of talent who can thrive off of momentum. Mularkey on the other hand is a lay it out ahead of time sort of guy. Preparation breeds success. Hard work leads to good play. But to borrow a jazz term, he just doesn't "swing".

JP was well prepared last night, but it seemed as if he had his coach in his head. "Don't overdo it....take chunks of yardage...don't risk running....don't force the ball....etc." And that's exactally how he played. Like Bledsoe with scrambling ability.

It's only one practice game, and I am encouraged overall. I just hope JP listens to Wyche more than Mularkey.

Let's see then...

Analysts are saying he looked bad.

Packers fans are saying he looked bad.

Jets fans are saying he looked bad.

Some Bills fans are saying he looked bad.

But all of those people are wrong, and only the Bills fans that say he looked great are correct. Rose colored glasses, perhaps?

Again, we havn't even played a preseason game so there's LOTS of room for improvement. But if we were starting the season tomorrow, with JPL under center, I'd be scared.

CW