Buffalo Sabres Free Agency Thread

The thing that galls me about Satan and the Sabres, think of any sports team that got rid of their best player and got better.

Yeah, I can't either........................wait a minute, didn't the Patriots get rid of their best player and replace him with some Brady guy who won a few games :doh:

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Resign Zhitnik, go after a cheaper quality defenseman that wasn't tendered (I'm thinking Martin Skoula of Anaheim), package Dumont and Biron together, see if Detroit will give you Datsyuk or Zetterberg. That would make you younger, much better, and probably only add between 2.5 and 3.5 million to the current payroll.

Sabres are still on the same gameplan from 4 years ago. Be cheap, do not make any trades or sign any free agents.

Satan would have made $3.8 million. Deemed too expensive for the Sabres.

Zhitnik was offered 4 years, $16 million by the Sabres before the lockout. He turned it down. Sergei Zubov just resigned with Dallas for 4 years, $12 million. Zhitnik should get deal somewhere in that range but not in Buffalo.

Sabres still have three goalies. Miller is NHL-ready. Sabres should choose between Biron & Norronen and trade the odd man out. According to Darcy Regier, Sabres will enter training camp with three goalies.

Same old crap from the Sabres. Very, very disappointing so far.

In other NHL news, the Pittsburgh Penguins apparently have a deal to bring back both Alexi Kovalev and Martin Straka.

Sabres need to make a selection in defensive free agency. NOW!

Get rid of the three headed goalie. We all agree on this, can't the GM?! I'd like to see Marty traded for someone. Hes had 3+ years with nothing to show.

Satan, although a substancial loss, he didn't have the heart to play for Ruff or the Sabres anymore. So once his desire left, he wouldn't have turned it up for us this year anyway IMO.

Bye Boulton. Darcy got that one right.

Love the core of new kids coming up with a shot to make the team. Vanek, Pomminville, Roy, Gaustad, Paille. Some solid rookies I'll say.

Definitely want to see MAX back. He can provide a spark.

Would like to see Z back with us, but our cheapasses probably won't deal. Who knows. Alex is a ice hog with plenty of vet leadership so I say it is imperitive we resign him. We'll see. If not, we'll need a big splash in FA as I already stated.

Maybe Buffalo can move Biron and shed his 2 million dollar salary as well.  If Miller and Noronen aren't ready now, they never will be.  Throw em into the fire.

:doh:  :)  :)

395902[/snapback]

I second that......I love Marty but that dude has had more chances to prove himself than he deserves....of course he always finishes strong and Sabres brass always throw him back in the mix......hopefully they smartened up this year....GO WITH MILLER LINDY!!!!

Sabres are still on the same gameplan from 4 years ago. Be cheap, do not make any trades or sign any free agents.

Same old crap from the Sabres. Very, very disappointing so far.

395883[/snapback]

Exactly my feelings. Sitting on your hands isn't going to win the fans back and fill seats. Probably sign a couple cheap no-names just so they can say they did something. If they don't make an effort to win now with this new CBA, that's a big disappointment.

Floodgates have opened today.

Philadelphia signed Derian Hatcher, Mike Rathje and Chris Therien. All three are

6' 5" defensemen.

Chicago signed Adrian Aucoin (another D-Man)

Columbus signed Adam Foote (yet another D-Man)

Boston is about to sign Mike Modano

Miroslav Satan has interest from Toronto, Montreal, NY Rangers and LA Kings. Boston was interested until they signed Modano. Offers are in the 4 years at $4.25 million per year range.

Sabres have announced........

their preseason schedule.

I think the Sabres are going to be "stuck" with the 2nd or 3rd level free agents. Once all the big name guys have been signed, the next level guys will end up going to the teams who have the most money left to spend.

Would it be possible to sign both Zhitnik AND Miller?

396259[/snapback]

I posted a quote by Regier over on the Sabres board that indicates Zhitnik will not be re-signed by the Sabres.

Also, I have cooled off on signing Aaron Miller. I had no idea how injury prone this guy is...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdispla...?pid%5B%5D=3719

Floodgates have opened today.

Philadelphia signed Derian Hatcher, Mike Rathje and Chris Therien. All three are

6' 5" defensemen.

Chicago signed Adrian Aucoin (another D-Man)

Columbus signed Adam Foote (yet another D-Man)

Boston is about to sign Mike Modano

Miroslav Satan has interest from Toronto, Montreal, NY Rangers and LA Kings. Boston was interested until they signed Modano. Offers are in the 4 years at $4.25 million per year range.

Sabres have announced........

their preseason schedule.

396225[/snapback]

I thought this new CBA was supposed to help teams like Buffalo. Or is Darcy just being a stubborn piece of crap?

I thought this new CBA was supposed to help teams like Buffalo.  Or is Darcy just being a stubborn piece of crap?

396436[/snapback]

Everybody just take a chill. Flyers took a big risk with Hatcher, Therian sucks. Modano is like 36 yrs old, and the guys who signed yesterday were 38 and 39.

Only signings that were big in my mind were Foote and Aucoin. Please take a look at the unrestricted list, not as impressive as everybody thinks.

Here are the unrestricteds

The most liberal of all groups. A Group III free agent is unrestricted and may sign with any team.

Qualifying age/experience: Players at least 31 years old as of June 30 with at least four years of NHL experience.

ANAHEIM

None

ATLANTA

Shawn McEachern

BOSTON

Sergei Gonchar, Martin Lapointe

BUFFALO

None

CALGARY

Martin Gelinas, Andrei Trefilov

CAROLINA

Glen Wesley

CHICAGO

Steve Poapst

COLORADO

Vincent Damphousse, Adam Foote, Peter Forsberg, Darby Hendrickson

COLUMBUS

Arturs Irbe, Jaroslav Spacek

DALLAS

Rob DiMaio, Mike Modano, Don Sweeney, Patrick Traverse, Sergei Zubov

DETROIT

Curtis Joseph, Stacy Roest, Jason Woolley, Steve Yzerman

EDMONTON

Igor Ulano

FLORIDA

None

LOS ANGELES

Roman Cechmanek, Stephane Quintal, Luc Robitaille, Martin Straka

MINNESOTA

Andrew Brunette

MONTREAL

Patrice Brisebois, Karl Dykhuis

NASHVILLE

Tony Hrkac, Greg Johnson, Jim McKenzie

NEW JERSEY

Scott Niedermayer, Brian Rafalski, Scott Stevens

N.Y. ISLANDERS

Adrian Aucoin, Jim Campbell, Roman Hamrlik

N.Y. RANGERS

Mike Dunham, Jason Marshall

OTTAWA

None

PHILADELPHIA

Sean Burke, Claude Lapointe, Marcus Ragnarsson, John Slaney

PHOENIX

Andrei Nazarov

PITTSBURGH

Mike Eastwood

ST. LOUIS

Alexander Khavanov

SAN JOSE

Mike Rathje

TAMPA BAY

Dave Andreychuk, Nikolai Khabibulin

TORONTO

Tie Domi, Brian Leetch, Alexander Mogilny, Joe Nieuwendyk, Gary Roberts

VANCOUVER

Brad May, Markus Naslund

WASHINGTON

Stephane Beauregard

Complete list here

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?page=05freeagents

Wow, Jason Woolley is available. :D

I wouldn't mind Rafalski, but you're right, not much there.

Gotta remember though, us Sabre fans are used to Darcy consistently dragging his feet and ending up with the likes of Greer, Heinze, Brown, Jillson, ya know the mediocore guys.