So will Coach Mike give the keys to the porsche?

kota

And say bring her back in one piece?

I listen to the NFL network on Sirius every day at work. Everytime they mention the Bills they always say if JP takes care of the ball then the Defense and ST will make this team win. I agree with this statement but it is kinda disheartening to me.

I want JP to be a Lights out QB and throwing touchdowns left and right. He has a ton of weapons on offense. Moulds who will move the chains and is key in the red zone, Evans who will give you the long ball catches and is also key in the redzone. Willis who could possibly rip a 80 yard run at anytime. Roscoe who has a ton of upside but is undertermed at this point. With all these weapons on offense i compare it to a bright red porsche that make the girls all hot under the skirt.

Obviously, the key is JP Losman and weather or not he can be the Master and Commander. By all reports his teammates are 100 percent behind him and would probably eat a brick if he asked them to. JP has the talent but the question is if he can prepare for the game and take what he learns in the film room to the field. We will know this answer by the start of preseason.

I just don't want JP to be babied like Big ben last year. Pittsburg got to the championship game but lost it even though they had a better defense then us last year.

In my opinion give JP the keys to the porsche and lets see what he can do.

Having a dominating OL will certainly help JPs case.

The bottom line is all that speed at the WR position, the power at

the RB position and the shiftiness at the QB position will be of no

use if the OL cannot protect the QB and give him sufficient time

to make the throws.

I find some in depth statistical comparisons which I have seen lately that show that the QBs who are doing well and making the playoffs tend to be those who sat most or all of their 1st years like Pennington. Brady, Culpepper and Vick while those who have suited it up a lot right away like Harrington, Ramsey and Boller have tended to struggle have their teams fail to make the playoffs.

Part of this can be attributed to the teams which have tended to go to the rookie QB right-away tend to be bad teams, iowever, the records of many of these playoff teams QB;ed by players who sat for mpst pf the games the were active as rookies also had bad seasons which got the drafted early in many cases or simply had bad records prior to things turning around with their young QB,

I know some folks worship the QB and want to ignore the factual occurences that no (narry a one, nada, zippo) teams have won an SB led by a QB they drafted in the 1st round since Dallas chose Aikman who wen on to glory back in 1989.

However, this fact is simply true whether your team drafted Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf. This is the bid statisticsl strike the JP will have to overcome.

I hope he will do this, but I think the best thing to happen with him in terms of his development last year was to get an injury which fortunately he seems to have recovered fully from, but this injury gavr him a chance to watch the game and learn and a unique oppotunity to download from Wyche.

While the the long time absent from this Board ICE argued the only way to learn the QB position is to play, the real life occurences indicate exactly the opposite that the best development for a young QB in terms of being a success is to sit, watch and learn.

I think JP can have the best of both worlds in his second year if MM/TC are smart.good enough to run an O which does not rely upon or call upon JP much to win the game on his play, but instead allows him to play a make few mistake role and learn the game while we win.

I find some in depth statistical comparisons which I have seen lately that show that the QBs who are doing well and making the playoffs tend to be those who sat most or all of their 1st years like Pennington. Brady, Culpepper and Vick while those who have suited it up a lot right away like Harrington, Ramsey and Boller have tended to struggle have their teams fail to make the playoffs.

Part of this can be attributed to the teams which have tended to go to the rookie QB right-away tend to be bad teams, iowever, the records of many of these playoff teams QB;ed by players who sat for mpst pf the games the were active as rookies also had bad seasons which got the drafted early in many cases or simply had bad records prior to things turning around with their young QB,

I know some folks worship the QB and want to ignore the factual occurences that no (narry a one, nada, zippo) teams have won  an SB led by a QB they drafted in the 1st round since Dallas chose Aikman who wen on to glory back in 1989.

However, this fact is simply true whether your team drafted Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf. This is the bid statisticsl strike the JP will have to overcome.

388633[/snapback]

the explanation for the failure of 1st round QBs is right there in your own post. BAD TEAMS generally draft QBs in the first round. good teams, generally speaking, already have their QB and go for depth and need at other positions. the bills are an anomaly in that they drafted a 1st round QB at a time when they had a <cough cough> legitimate starter in bledsoe.

i think you throw most of the stats and historical references out the window when talking about JP and the bills' offense this year. the closest recent comparison is carson palmer. he had some early struggles last year, but worked through them and played very well for the 2nd half of the season. if we expect the same from JP, then the bills' defense, ST, and running game will need to carry the load for the first part of the season, and then the "keys to the porsche" will be handed to JP as he shows he is more comfortable.

cinci didn't have nearly the level of defense or ST that the bills have, so i think it's completely reasonable to expect a better performance out of the team. the bengals finished 8-8, by the way.

And say bring her back in one piece?

I listen to the NFL network on Sirius every day at work.  Everytime they mention the Bills they always say if JP takes care of the ball then the Defense and ST will make this team win.  I agree with this statement but it is kinda disheartening to me.

I want JP to be a Lights out QB and throwing touchdowns left and right...

In due time, young grasshopper. In due time.

the explanation for the failure of 1st round QBs is right there in your own post.  BAD TEAMS generally draft QBs in the first round.  good teams, generally speaking, already have their QB and go for depth and need at other positions.  the bills are an anomaly in that they drafted a 1st round QB at a time when they had a <cough cough> legitimate starter in bledsoe.

i think you throw most of the stats and historical references out the window when talking about JP and the bills' offense this year.  the closest recent comparison is carson palmer.  he had some early struggles last year, but worked through them and played very well for the 2nd half of the season.  if we expect the same from JP, then the bills' defense, ST, and running game will need to carry the load for the first part of the season, and then the "keys to the porsche" will be handed to JP as he shows he is more comfortable.

cinci didn't have nearly the level of defense or ST that the bills have, so i think it's completely reasonable to expect a better performance out of the team.  the bengals finished 8-8, by the way.

388692[/snapback]

Yeah but... weren't the Falcs when they drafted Vick a bad team and weren't the Jets when they drafted Pennington (he came late in the first but was one of several 1sts they had that year) and even the Pats when they took Brady adequate at best.

The Falcs in particular had to go with some idiot at QB (Johnson I think) in Vick's rookie season because this extremely bad team which weakend itself in the immediate further by tradingg value to move up to get Vick had every reason if the wished to rush the rookie on to the field as a slash or to play the game as the conventional wisdom is all rookies must play to learn QB.

Instead, they made what ultimately was a correct judgment that by choice the way to best develop this physically talented player was to have him watch and learn until late in his rookie season.

Instead, teams that have chosen to have QBs play and learn except in the rare care of a Peyton Manning seem to have coincided with developing QBs whose paths are like Harrington, Ramsey or Boller, ie. talented guys who struggle to produce.

In the worse cases, these talented players like a Favre or Steve Young play immediately, fail as most rookies do, are declared busts and traded (by the fools at TB in both these cases) and go on to glory elsehwere. Another bad case of QB development close to home is that the Bills had to rush Todd Collins along because they miscalculated how long Kelly would last and though this youngster produced some impressive accuracy #s as a Bill he also showed a case of happy-feet relatively early in his career and though maybe the mistake was in not recognizing he merited a 2nd choice, the Bills could not take their time and try to train this out of him.

I am fully aware that many talented but failed QBs were rushed a long by bad teams, but the difference in production experienced seem often to track that of quality QBs were not rushed along by their bad teams who were patient for whatever reason.

Again the best thing which may have happened to JP last year ws getting hurt because it nipped in the bud the pressure which would have obviously started when we went 0-4 to start JP if he had been healthy. Given what he showed when he was thrown into mop-up up the NE game, his failure to even command th huddle when he took a delay of game call his second game, and his failure to communicate orders leading to a TO in his third game, mop-up was about as much as this talented player could do last year.

I'm glad he was in no position to start or play anything but mop-up last year in terms of developing him into the QB we want, and quite frankly have no problems with MM/TC deciding to keep him on a short-leash and judiciously bench him if it unfortunately proves useful in favor of Holcomb in 05.

It will be tough to do and still develop him as even QBs can be amazing placekicker like in terms of their confidence and suffering badly from rough handling, but in the long-term JP almost certainly needs to both play and watch in order to become the QB we want for the long-term.

388633[/snapback]

The answer is really 50-50...You conviniently left out Peyton Manning and

McNabb and Big Ben from that list as players who started in their rookie

season and see

where they have taken their teams...and look at the guys who sat 1st few

years and have started like a A.J Feely, Brooks, Tim Rattay etc....

The bottom line is with NFL being the ultimate team sport, there are lots of

other variables that go into making a player a star....

I don't think they'll be anywhere near as conservative with Losman as the Steelers were with Roethlisberger. They really can't afford to be. The Steelers had the luxury of having three solid RBs that had 500 carries amongst them and Roethlisberger amazingly threw only 295 passes all year. McGahee is a going to be a great RB, if he isn't already, but he can't run anywhere close to that many times in a season. Unfortunately, the dropoff to the backups is a big one.

Clearly, the passing game is going to have to take up the slack. That doesn't mean that its going to be a wide open offense by any stretch, but I do think its going to have to be a lot more balanced than a lot of people think. And if McGahee were to miss a few games this year, the Bills might indeed have to call upon Losman to win those games with his arm.

The bottom line is with NFL being the ultimate team sport, there are lots of other variables that go into making a player a star....

388868[/snapback]

If the NFL is really the ultimate team sport (and I truly believe it is 100% team), we should rename the NFL. We'll call it: MOSSTO. Nothing says team like MOSSTO. But we'll change the game up just a bit. Everybody gets on the field, and when the whistle blows, one team has a player walk off the field as the rest of his team is going back to the LOS with a stunned look on their faces, and the other team starts to play and it looks like they're gonna win cuz the score is 1,000,327 to 1. But then the entire winning team simultaneously falls to the ground and begins to cry all at once because they don't want to play anymore unless someone starts giving them style points. Other team catches up. Ends in a draw.

But people show up daily to watch it.