I've been really sick...

Howdy folks.  I can't really say for sure what is going on with me but I am pretty fuggin sick.  I went and spent tuesday and wed at the hospital where they did like a million and 5 tests on me.  I haven't been able to swallow in nearly a week.  I feel really disoriented.  My skin is very pale.

I'm freezing cold but  I'm sweating in buckets.  I seriously lost 18 lbs since sunday.

Pray for me because I am very afraid something is REALLY wrong. 

t-r

387812[/snapback]

Have you by chance been bitten by any mosquitoes lately? Chills & sweating are classic symptoms of malaria which would be really uncommon here in the US -- but not unheard of for those of us who travel to dubious places on occasion. Also - West Nile Virus is another mosquito-borne possibility. It can cause painfully swollen lymph glands in the throat (can't swallow) as well as disorientation, tremors, fever and assorted other symptoms. I'd ask about these if I were you. Good luck.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you by chance been bitten by any mosquitoes lately? Chills & sweating are classic symptoms of malaria which would be really uncommon here in the US -- but not unheard of for those of us who travel to dubious places on occasion. Also - West Nile Virus is another mosquito-borne possibility. It can cause painfully swollen lymph glands in the throat (can't swallow) as well as disorientation, tremors, fever and assorted other symptoms. I'd ask about these if I were you. Good luck.

388476[/snapback]

You just totally freaked me out with that post. Everything you mentioned is spot on to my symptoms. :unsure:

You just totally freaked me out with that post.  Everything you mentioned is spot on to my symptoms.  :unsure:

388478[/snapback]

First: stay calm. It could be just some dumb random bug that will go away on its own. But W.N. has made it all the way out here to the Left Coast, so I'd definitely get the Docs to rule it out. And even if you do have it, it's generally quite treatable unless you're elderly and/or immune-compromised.

388476[/snapback]

Sunday I was at a barbeque is Springville and I was playing horseshoes. I got bitten ten times all over my legs. I never occured to me to tie the two together. I'm freakin out dude.

Sunday I was at a barbeque is Springville and I was playing horseshoes.  I got bitten ten times all over my legs.  I never occured to me to tie the two together.  I'm freakin out dude.

388485[/snapback]

Well I am NOT a doctor (nor do I play one on TV or film, although I sometimes mess with digital images of people who do) but I would definitely recommend getting tested if they haven't already included those in the barrage of tests you've already undergone. And try not to freak out. That turns out (anecdotally) to not be all that helpful in fighting off infections. You want to go more for that strong, deep inner strength thing. Or something like that.

Also make sure they do a full glucose tests

the cold and sweating is something I went though

this past weekend

took my glucose reading was upto 76 and that was

about a 1/2 hour after a snarfed down a handful

of pringles, a 12 oz Regular Coke and a Cinnamon

roll loaded with sugar

low glucose could also cause rapid weight loss

but 18lbs in 5 days is really pussing it

i went 3 days without eating because of depression

once and lost 15lbs

but do goto the ER have the test you for WN, marlia

and the blood glucose levels

Where the hell is DrPjax when ya need him???

Keep hammerin' the doctors and hopefully by the time they figure it out you'll be feelin' better.....

388542[/snapback]

Rubes is also a doctor. And Nervous Guy works for a drug company. So there are other people here that know what they're talking about.

Any chance you have a bulls-eye rash someplace on your bod?

That's a telltale for Lyme disease, that gets you sweating buckets for days.

You should get some blood work done for infectious diseases - not just the STD kind.

While you're at it, ask your Dr. for some pain medicine for your throat. The evil pharmaceutical companies make a lidocane jell suspension and also a variety of anaesthetic sprays that could give you some symptomatic relief.

Hope you're on the mend soon. The season's approaching and you don't want to weigh nothin' when it starts! :unsure:

First: stay calm. It could be just some dumb random bug that will go away on its own. But W.N. has made it all the way out here to the Left Coast, so I'd definitely get the Docs to rule it out. And even if you do have it, it's generally quite treatable unless you're elderly and/or immune-compromised.

388480[/snapback]

after reading this post i am surprised i didn't think of it sooner, as we cover this in my health class every year. it does sound exactly like west nile virus. i was also thinking lyme disease, but the symptoms sound m ore like WNV.

I think it's great that everybody here is trying to help, but try not to misguide him with your own diagnoses. Whatever it may "sound like", we have no idea what he has. This certainly does not sound like typical West Nile Fever, which in most people is a very mild, non-specific flu-like illness without shaking chills, severe sore throat, and significant weight loss. More severe forms of WNV have more neurological symptoms, which he hasn't really described.

Here is some info for those who are interested.

Even if it does turn out to be WNV, no need to freak him out like this. He just needs to get to a doctor.

And please don't mention malaria unless the guy has been out of the country to a malaria-endemic area.

Have you seen a doctor?  A trip to the hospital would probably be best advice.

387850[/snapback]

Real did say he wnet to the hospital on Tuesday for tests. I do think you need to keep after the doctor. Call his office daily and let them know how you're feeling. Tell them you got bit up by mosquitos before this started and ask if you were tested for West Nile. Are you drinking liquid. If you're not, then dehydration is a strong possibility. You might try some chloroseptic throat spray and see if that deadens the pain in your throat enough to let you drink fluids. Gatorade would be ideal. Good luck.

:unsure:

I'm not dying. I feel alot better today.

I gargled saltwater all day yesterday. I drank 4 of the big gatorades and hit the meds. I get all the tests back on Monday but I feel substantially better. Whatever it is, I am still running a temp of about 100.

You guys are so FUGGIN cool. I appreciate all of the responses and remedies. If it was just strep then I'm sorry for being such a puss, I've just never lost weight like that and I was really worried.

Sincerely, thank you. I'll tell you Monday what's the deal.

6 days no bong hits. :angry:

t-r