Next Years Draft

TSNBDSC

... an actual first rounder (middle round pick, hopefully number 32 ?!) ! ... all of our own picks ... plus a three for Travis (lower third ?) ... and hopefully, due compensation for losing JJ and PW (two fourths ?) ... will make draft day a "little bit" more interesting ! ... tom

... an actual first rounder (middle round pick, hopefully number 32 ?!) ! ... all of our own picks ... plus a three for Travis (lower third ?) ... and hopefully, due compensation for losing JJ and PW (two fourths ?) ... will make draft day a "little bit" more interesting ! ... tom

383936[/snapback]

i wouldn't be shocked if we picked up two thirds as compensation for losing big pat and jennings........

Who can educate on how those picks work? What determines where they finally end up?

383980[/snapback]

There is no rule to determine what picks you get. Someone (or a group of someones) simply makes it up...

There was some anger that the Broncos received a couple of thirds this year (if I'm remembering my facts correctly) after losing a couple of non-star players.

CW

i wouldn't be shocked if we picked up two thirds as compensation for losing big pat and jennings........

383960[/snapback]

Some of that depends on how Big Pat and JJ play for the vikes and 49ers....

If they suck there (as people would like to), then the compensation round

drops lower.....If they have pro-bowl seasons there, then our chances improve.

There is no rule to determine what picks you get.  Someone (or a group of someones) simply makes it up...

There was some anger that the Broncos received a couple of thirds this year (if I'm remembering my facts correctly) after losing a couple of non-star players.

CW

383981[/snapback]

they needed a 3rd rounder, after forfiting one for cheating during their SB years.

the NFL pisses me off sometimes.

383960[/snapback]

Keep in mind that the compensatory picks are awarded based on the the performance of players you lost in a given year(JJ & PW) versus players you signed in that same year(Anderson & Holcomb. I'm not sure about Rashard Lee).

There is no rule to determine what picks you get.  Someone (or a group of someones) simply makes it up...

CW

383981[/snapback]

The Compensation Gods have never been overly generous to the Bills. All one has to do is to remember the Wil Wolford fiasco and that we got exactly zip for him (many claim that led to setting up the current compensation system and also led to some restrictions in so far as what constitutes a proper contract). Yet, even though everyone knew we were screwed, nothing was ever given us for the loss of Wolford. My suspicion is that Anderson and Gandy ( I didn't say this was fair) will be ruled comparable and no compensation will be awarded. Maybe it's the "Homerun Throw forward - No goal - Just give it to 'em" screw jobs we've gotten in the past that contribute to my pessimism with this issue.

At this point, with Ralph not even able to get to the final selections for the HOF only shows the lack of respect given to one of the last of the old guard, a founder of the old AFL that succeeded in part due to Ralph also helping out other owners.

Nah, we'll get screwed again....

Here's the compensatory awards from April's draft. Scroll down and it lists who was lost and who was acquired

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8316981

384118[/snapback]

Good grief...Denver got two thirds for losing Bert Berry, Keith Burns, and Ian Gold, while picking up Marco Coleman?

Damn.

All one has to do is to remember the Wil Wolford fiasco and that we got exactly zip for him (many claim that led to setting up the current compensation system and also led to some restrictions in so far as what constitutes a proper contract). Yet, even though everyone knew we were screwed, nothing was ever given us for the loss of Wolford.

384130[/snapback]

If you want to carry a grudge (and I do), we never got compensation for Pete Gogolak.

Good grief...Denver got two thirds for losing Bert Berry, Keith Burns, and Ian Gold, while picking up Marco Coleman?

Damn.

384140[/snapback]

It seems to be the NFL's equivalent of "grade inflation". Living here, I recall that at the time it was said that the B'gals 3rd round comp pick for TKO was the highest ever since the corrupt scheme began. :w00t:

383981[/snapback]

untrue.......compensatory picks are awarded based on a formula which includes criteria for:

1) size of contract

2) playing time

3) postseason honors

under the bills scenerio, if jennings and williams both stay healthy they will be worth 3rd round picks on their own based on the size of their deals.......this COULD be offset by bennie starting 16 games, but the size of his contract in comparison dictates we will see a pick for losing jennings, likely in the 4th if they receive the same amount of playing time.......if holcomb plays this further decreases the expected picks, but if he doesn't start a game (realistic expectation) he won't effect the system......

ross verba could have a significant impact if signed........

this is another important element that is being missed with all the travis henry trade talk -- the bills were looking at a 4th or possible 3rd round pick just for keeping him on the roster and letting him become a free agent, depending where he would have landed........the catch is the pick wouldn't have been awarded until 2007.......

Damn.

384140[/snapback]

You beat me to it. Getting pick #97 and #101 for losing those guys is a joke.

I wonder if Denver's compensitory windfall might have factored into TD's reluctance to go after any medium-big name FA's this year, so as not to dilute the loss of PW and JJ in the formula. If we get two compensitory third rounders in 2006, plus the Titans third for TH, that will give TD a ton of ammo to work with in trading up for a low round 1 or high round 2 pick.

I think I'll pay closer attention to this year's college crop.

I'd guess it's an impossible task to figure out the comp picks. So many assumptions, balancing this subjective over that, trying to rub a crystal ball to predict the future, etc.

After all is hashed over ad infinitum, I think they coin flip and I don't blame them one bit.

I've no idea how one could arrive at an ironclad "equity"...

Last year, the Bills were cap-strapped throughout the offseason. They ended up getting a league-high four draft choices -- a third-rounder and three seventh-round choices. Defensive end Marcellus Wiley, who went to the Chargers from Buffalo, was considered perhaps the top free agent in 2001. The Bills also lost cornerback Donovan Green and offensive lineman Marcus Spriggs to Miami.

espn article.

Wasn't Jennings picked with a 3rd round comp pick that the Bills received for Wiley?

383936[/snapback]

lets focus on training camp first

untrue.......compensatory picks are awarded based on a formula which includes criteria for:

1) size of contract

2) playing time

3) postseason honors

There's no official forumula. It's all based on black magic. Yes, those three things factor in, but it's very vague and is up to the whim of a handful of people. There was an article about it in some magazine (Sporting News Weekly I think) that talked about the fact that some teams get screwed, even when it appears they should get some extra picks (they specifically mentioned Buffalo), and some teams seem to get a lot of picks for no real good reason (they specifically mentioned Denver).

So the three things you listed is the lip service the league has mentioned, but I challenge you to find an official forumal posted somewhere. It doesn't exist.

CW