National & out of town writers usually know

It's amazing that when you read out of town articles on the Bills, half the time there is a factual inaccuracy that mkes you realize how little they know about what they are paid to write about. I'd be embarrassed to put my name on a published article and misstate my incorrect memories as facts. It's one thing if amateurs like us get something wrong, but someone is paying these guys-they should be held to a higher standard. Just today, on the main page I found two statements that were inaccurate. These guys need a fact checker before they go to the presses.

The Tennessean:

Henry became disgruntled when the Bills drafted Willis McGahee in 2001, then demanded a trade when he lost his starting job to the second-round pick.

Fact: McGahee was a 1st round pick in 2003, Henry was the 2nd round pick in 2001.

Sun Herald (South Mississippi)

Losman was a first-round draft pick out of Tulane in 2004, but missed all of last season with a broken leg. When Buffalo's starting QB from last year, Drew Bledsoe, signed with Dallas in the offseason, Losman ascended to the starting position.

Fact: Losman did not miss the entire season. He was the 3rd string QB for the final 8 games and played in several of those games.

Technically, his statement about Bledsoe is misleading-Losman was named the starter, Bledsoe was released & then signed with Dallas. The writer's timeframe makes it look like Drew left by choice & the Bills were left with Losman as the starter.

Another of today's articles states, "the Bills linebacker corps is very deep." Besides the starters... oh wait.... Besides Spikes and Fletcher, no. No it's not.

The unspectacular Jeff Posey, and untested Crowell and Haggan do not depth make. Ezekial has a good shot at making the team, and Fletcher's eventual replacement should be drafted in the 1st or 2nd next year.

This from the "Sports Xchange," which is probably yet another website started by amateurs. I've never clicked it b/c besides their just being wrong in their conclusions, on the front page I've noticed several times they're factually wrong, and add in that they're usually a day late and a dollar short. But the ones you cite are from established newspapers. Too bad many either don't have copy editors anymore or have one for the whole section. Then they wonder why fewer people buy newspapers.

Another of today's articles states, "the Bills linebacker corps is very deep." Besides the starters... oh wait.... Besides Spikes and Fletcher, no. No it's not.

The unspectacular Jeff Posey, and untested Crowell and Haggan do not depth make. Ezekial has a good shot at making the team, and Fletcher's eventual replacement should be drafted in the 1st or 2nd next year.

This from the "Sports Xchange," which is probably yet another website started by amateurs. I've never clicked it b/c besides their just being wrong in their conclusions, on the front page I've noticed several times they're factually wrong, and add in that they're usually a day late and a dollar short. But the ones you cite are from established newspapers. Too bad many either don't have copy editors anymore or have one for the whole section. Then they wonder why fewer people buy newspapers.

383553[/snapback]

RE: the "unspectacular" Posey...

You can't have "spectacular" at every position, particularly with a salary cap. If Posey's only problem is that he's not Spikes or Fletcher...fine by me. I'll settle for two spectacular and one "unspectacular" but solid linebacker...

You can't have "spectacular" at every position, particularly with a salary cap.  If Posey's only problem is that he's not Spikes or Fletcher...fine by me.  I'll settle for two spectacular and one "unspectacular" but solid linebacker...

383561[/snapback]

Granted, he's serviceable, but still unspectacular from what was expected of him. Simply trying to point out the lamebrain-ness of the reporter saying that our LB corps is "very deep." The Ravens are very deep. The '85 Bears were very deep. Having two stars and then that big dropoff doesn't make you deep. That's not the meaning of "deep."

Granted, he's serviceable, but still unspectacular from what was expected of him. Simply trying to point out the lamebrain-ness of the reporter saying that our LB corps is "very deep." The Ravens are very deep. The '85 Bears were very deep. Having two stars and then that big dropoff doesn't make you deep. That's not the meaning of "deep."

383563[/snapback]

I think he was referring to having Stamer, Haggan and Crowell, three players the Bills brass like that were draft choices that excel on special teams and have played 2-3 years in the system and league. I wouldn't call that particularly deep until those guys see the field a lot, but I think that's what the writer meant. I also think Posey is better than he's given credit for, and that the Bills coaches like him a lot.

I think he was referring to having Stamer, Haggan and Crowell, three players the Bills brass like that were draft choices that excel on special teams and have played 2-3 years in the system and league. I wouldn't call that particularly deep until those guys see the field a lot, but I think that's what the writer meant. I also think Posey is better than he's given credit for, and that the Bills coaches like him a lot.

383565[/snapback]

Excelling on ST and playing defense well in relief or injury replacement are entirely different spheres. Ask Coy Wire 'bout that (Oh, come on, Coy. We still like you!). I know those people who say Posey's been disappointing and I'm not one of those; he holds his own at least. Maybe with a more consistent backfield, he can be set loose more. I love Stamer's playing style, Haggan and Crowell may have great expectations, but until they see some extensive game time, you can't say we're "deep." At this juncture, it rings like TD saying a few years back that Travis Brown could be our very own Tom Brady.

Excelling on ST and playing defense well in relief or injury replacement are entirely different spheres. Ask Coy Wire 'bout that (Oh, come on, Coy. We still like you!). I know those people who say Posey's been disappointing and I'm not one of those; he holds his own at least. Maybe with a more consistent backfield, he can be set loose more. I love Stamer's playing style, Haggan and Crowell may have great expectations, but until they see some extensive game time, you can't say we're "deep." At this juncture, it rings like TD saying a few years back that Travis Brown could be our very own Tom Brady.

383567[/snapback]

I agree with you. My term for them would not be deep but "untested". Probably a guy just looking at stats saying three veteran players have been on the same team in the same system and racking up ST stats for three years.

You can't have "spectacular" at every position, particularly with a salary cap.  If Posey's only problem is that he's not Spikes or Fletcher...fine by me.  I'll settle for two spectacular and one "unspectacular" but solid linebacker...

383561[/snapback]

Agreed, Possey does a fine job. He's not a stand out player, but he plugs away and doesn't make many mistakes. In fact, I'd say Fletcher makes more mistakes than Posey, granted, he makes of hell of a lot more plays too.

So what team in the league has backup linebackers better than Stamer, Crowell and Haggen? You mentioned the 85 Bears. Who were there backup linebackers? I don't recall?

And if you don't know the answer to that question, then how do you know that Stamer, Crowell and Haggen aren't better?

383553[/snapback]