Bills talking extension with McGee

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...d=2108479&num=0

Foresight isn't a strong suit limited only to the Colts. The Buffalo Bills told Terry Bolar, the agent for third-year cornerback Terrence McGee, they want to sit down and discuss a contract extension once training camp starts. McGee became a Pro Bowl return man in 2004, averaging 26.3 yards and scoring three times on kickoffs. Under the tutelage of Bobby April, the league's best special teams coach, McGee made great strides. But perhaps even more important was McGee's emergence at cornerback, where he made a quantum leap after being forced into the starting lineup by an injury to Troy Vincent.

In 13 starts, McGee demonstrated not only good cover skills (three interceptions, 15 passes defensed), but also a knack for tossing himself into the thick of the action. He totaled 95 tackles, which ranks fourth on the team and is an impressive figure for a 5-foot-9, 195-pounder. In fact, according to the tackles reported by individual teams, only three cornerbacks in the league -- Tampa Bay's Ronde Barber (111), St. Louis' Jerametrius Butler (100) and Minnesota's Antoine Winfield (99) -- had more tackles in 2004.

Winfield, the former Bills star who signed with the Vikings as a free agent last spring, is the player McGee compares himself to most. He might be giving himself a few too many props there, since Winfield is among the best and feistiest players in the game, but McGee is definitely a corner on the rise.

One other very pragmatic reason the Bills hope to secure a long-term deal with him: Their other starting cornerback, Nate Clements, is entering the final year of his contract. The Bills could use a "franchise" tag next spring to retain Clements, but that would be a costly proposition. If he hits the open market at just 26, Clements is going to extract a big payday from someone. Locking up McGee could help ease some of the sting of a potential Clements departure. McGee is also entering the final year of his rookie deal, but in just his third season, is only eligible for restricted free agency after this year. The Bills should be able to keep him for at least one more season with a middle-level qualifying offer. The club, however, would prefer a reasonable long-term contract for an improving, young player with just one year as a starter.

ALSO:

The phone isn't exactly ringing off the hook for free-agent offensive tackle Ross Verba, who forced his release by the Cleveland Browns a month ago, and is finding life in the open market to be something less than he expected. One hope, though, is the Buffalo Bills might have some interest. Buffalo officials touched base with Verba's representatives this week, inquiring about his status and his plans, thus keeping him on their radar screen.

good find, thanks for posting this. However extending Mcgee doesn't help ease any transition to possibly losing Nate Clements. Clements is far and away one of the best players at the cb position in the league. Terrence Mcgee is a 2nd year corner who is up and coming, but by no means will ever make me feel more comfortable about the possibility of losing clements. Infact to me that's just downright scary to have Mcgee as our #1 cb, when he's still struggling to be the #2 cb.

Tackles for a CB is a very iffy statistic. You have to watch every single game on a player to see if his high tackle totals were because he was getting beat all the time, or pushed guys out of bounds 7 yards down field on 3rd and 6, or make them 8-10 yards down the field after they broke through the line. Those are not to be confused with high tackle totals because he was a stud against the run and made tackles around the LOS, or made tackles when teammates missed them.

McGee made a ton of tackles last year because they picked on him a lot, especially early. And gave up a lot of first downs. I think he played pretty well under the circumstances and got better and he's going to be a good CB in this league as well as a great KR. But his tackle totals should not be confused with the kind of tackles that Antoine routinely made: Before the first down marker and around or behind the LOS.

If this means they are willing to part ways with Nate Clements I am going to so fuggin mad. McGee is a decent corner and I guess we can always draft a player or sign a stop gap, but Clements is a top 5 corner in this league.

If we lose this guy I am going to b!tch slap TD.

If this means they are willing to part ways with Nate Clements I am going to so fuggin mad.  McGee is a decent corner and I guess we can always draft a player or sign a stop gap, but Clements is a top 5 corner in this league. 

If we lose this guy I am going to b!tch slap TD.

382681[/snapback]

You probably won't hear anything from TD on his attempts to re-sign NC. My guess is that somewhere down the road, NC's agent will spout off about not having received any offer or a lowball offer.

Tackles for a CB is a very iffy statistic. You have to watch every single game on a player to see if his high tackle totals were because he was getting beat all the time, or pushed guys out of bounds 7 yards down field on 3rd and 6, or make them 8-10 yards down the field after they broke through the line. Those are not to be confused with high tackle totals because he was a stud against the run and made tackles around the LOS, or made tackles when teammates missed them.

McGee made a ton of tackles last year because they picked on him a lot, especially early. And gave up a lot of first downs. I think he played pretty well under the circumstances and got better and he's going to be a good CB in this league as well as a great KR. But his tackle totals should not be confused with the kind of tackles that Antoine routinely made: Before the first down marker and around or behind the LOS.

382672[/snapback]

True about the tackles, but his 15 PDs were a bright spot for him. He did improve throughout the season. Then again, how could he not, considering the baptism by fire he received. It would be nice if a cap friendly deal could be worked out w/ McGee to keep him locked up that would also allow for the Bills to re-sign Clements.

True about the tackles, but his 15 PDs were a bright spot for him.  He did improve throughout the season.  Then again, how could he not, considering the baptism by fire he received.  It would be nice if a cap friendly deal could be worked out w/ McGee to keep him locked up that would also allow for the Bills to re-sign Clements.

382688[/snapback]

Agree completely. McGee is a player and has a nose for the ball. You cannot teach that. I doubt that signing him to an extension now would replace trying to sign Clements. What I really think is happening is that the Bills think this guy could be very good, and if they don't sign him now, they will have to pay him double when he becomes a big-time player.

the deals need to get done........for both of them.......

it's cheaper to do it now then wait........show them cash and they will stay........d*ck them around and they will go.......it's not overly complicated.........

Yeah, yeah.

But when a CB has a lot of tackles it means people are throwing at him. As a green corner opposite Clements, of course he was going to get thrown at -- but still . . .