LONDON IS UNDER ATTACK

VERY SCARED RIGHT NOW. Bombs appear to be exploding around London. Tube system has completely closed.

Don't know what is happening............

376239[/snapback]

Nick, be careful out there. Those of us in NYC send out our hearts to you. We are just as worried.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I get on at Fredericksburg at 7:15. Plenty of time for a city cop to pull up and sit in front of the station, as they've done in the past for no apparent reason. I think even that little move could be a deterant. The only change in the regular pattern today was that the conductor actually checked tickets. Wow, they're really going all out!

I'm sure terrorists don't but tickets.  :devil:

376382[/snapback]

Damn, they didn't check tickets on my train today.

Be safe Nick, NYC is pulling for you, My train station (Bowling Green) was swamped with reporters and cops when I got out this morning, very spooky, Stay strong, we are all in this together.

Hear, hear. Let the baddest mothers alive after those fargs.

Hell, let's just turn them loose in Damascus, Cairo and Tehran.

376314[/snapback]

Would that work as well as it is working in Iraq? In Israel?

I hope theses terrorists are found and wasted as much as anyone but I don't have any delusions that it would make any difference at all.

Military operations will not stop terrorism.

My prayers are for England.

Would that work as well as it is working in Iraq? In Israel?

I hope theses terrorists are found and wasted as much as anyone but I don't have any delusions that it would make any difference at all.

No it won't...but if you eliminate as many as possible...you minimize the ability to carry out these type of attacks or worse.

Thanks all for your kind words...

I am just back now from the House of Commons. I have to head back there soon - but it all seems very calm now. The sirens have quit and most people seem to be going about their business as normally as possible.

The mood is sombre outdoors and people are being very wary of everything... That there are no tube services and buses is making the city sound very quiet and the roads empty... You can't get a Taxi for love nor money.

I hope we are through the worst of it now in terms of bombs. I trust that the explosions have ceased (been centred around 08.49) and we have to pick up the pieces as best we can. The death toll will rise - the casualties will rise - but we will go on anyway, because that's all you can do.

I will be walking home today - not going to trust the public transport for a while. It is a 7.1 mile walk thru London...

Would that work as well as it is working in Iraq?  In Israel?

My prayers are for England.

376397[/snapback]

Each attack only confirms that hunkering down in defense cannot work entirely, and anything that would be effective would chop away at our liberties. I don't accept this.

I've been coming around the past few months on the need for an effective no-holds offense. The Western world can't just sit back and say, 'Oh well, more are coming anyway.' It makes some difference, at least.

No it won't...but if you eliminate as many as possible...you minimize the ability to carry out these type of attacks or worse.

376399[/snapback]

No, I don't think we minimize anything. If you are attacked by a swarm of bees, even if you kill hundreds, you are still screwed. History shows that these kinds of conflicts are never resolved or even effected much fir very long by military operations. Political solutions are what usually ends them.

Many terrorist attacks are of the suicide variety. We don't have to find them and kill them, they do it themselves yet the attacks keep coming. They are not killing us because they hate our freedom or any of that BS. This is the type of fight that is as old as humankind, a fight over who will be the boss. They want their guys in charge of the middle east and we want guys in charge who will sell us the oil we need at a price we can afford. If not for the oil, would any of us care at all what happens to the royal family in Saudia Arabia? Kuwait? Given our reliance on foreign oil, we have no choice. The only way to deal ourselves a new hand is to kick the oil habit somehow. Then we can leave these lovely people to enjoy their barbarism in private.

I'm thinking maybe my next car will be a diesel.

No, I don't think we minimize anything.  If you are attacked by a swarm of bees, even if you kill hundreds, you are still screwed.  History shows that these kinds of conflicts are never resolved or even effected much fir very long by military operations.  Political solutions are what usually ends them. 

Many terrorist attacks are of the suicide variety.  We don't have to find them and kill them, they do it themselves yet the attacks keep coming.  They are not killing us because they hate our freedom or any of that BS.  This is the type of fight that is as old as humankind, a fight over who will be the boss.  They want their guys in charge of the middle east and we want guys in charge who will sell us the oil we need at a price we can afford.  If not for the oil, would any of us care at all what happens to the royal family in Saudia Arabia?  Kuwait?  Given our reliance on foreign oil, we have no choice.  The only way to deal ourselves a new hand is to kick the oil habit somehow.  Then we can leave these lovely people to enjoy their  barbarism in private.

I'm thinking maybe my next car will be a diesel.

376413[/snapback]

Oh, this is about oil.

Got it. Thanks, Mickey. Funny, I must have misunderstood why 3,000 people were killed in NY. You've cleared it up. It was about the oil.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but he's convinced me: we should ignore the people who attacked us...ignore the people who just attacked London...because if we do, they'll just kill themselves and THEN we can go get all the oil.

Ding.

Each attack only confirms that hunkering down in defense cannot work entirely, and anything that would be effective would chop away at our liberties. I don't accept this.

I've been coming around the past few months on the need for an effective no-holds offense. The Western world can't just sit back and say, 'Oh well, more are coming anyway.' It makes some difference, at least.

376403[/snapback]

Ask Russia or even Israel how well that has worked for them. You simply can't stop some enraptured jihadist from stuffing some plastic explosive in his crotch and running into a school or maternity ward or bus or subway station or stadium or goodness knows where else. Just using a bigger and bigger hammer will not do it.

Shelby Foote (rest his soul) used to tell the story of a Union soldier and a Confederate soldier somewhere in the south talking to eachother one night by shouting across the battlefield. "Hey Reb", the Yank called, "Why are you fighting?" he asked. "Because you're HERE" he answered.

They want us out of the middle east, not just our troops but our weapons, our political support, the regimes we lend our weight to, everything. If we did that, we would not be attacked but we would have to walk to work. For now, we have no choice.

Ask Russia or even Israel how well that has worked for them.  You simply can't stop some enraptured jihadist from stuffing some plastic explosive in his crotch and running into a school or maternity ward or bus or subway station or stadium or goodness knows where else.  Just using a bigger and bigger hammer will not do it. 

Shelby Foote (rest his soul) used to tell the story of a Union soldier and a Confederate soldier somewhere in the south talking to eachother one night by shouting across the battlefield.  "Hey Reb", the Yank called, "Why are you fighting?" he asked. "Because you're HERE" he answered. 

They want us out of the middle east, not just our troops but our weapons, our political support, the regimes we lend our weight to, everything.  If we did that, we would not be attacked but we would have to walk to work.  For now, we have no choice.

376420[/snapback]

Your compassion is noted.

They want us out of the middle east, not just our troops but our weapons, our political support, the regimes we lend our weight to, everything.  If we did that, we would not be attacked but we would have to walk to work.  For now, we have no choice.

376420[/snapback]

:devil::devil::w00t::w00t::lol:

376420[/snapback]

You are kidding, right? If we evacuated EVERYTHING from the Middle East, stopped all aid and severed all ties to anything even remotely Middle Eastern, we would still get attacked. It is part of the fundamental principles of the radical Islam practiced by these extremists. They want all countries to be Islamic states. We are not an Islamic state. They will attack us until we become an Islamic state.