NASA Crashes into a Comet

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah...we wouldn't want to try and learn how to stop one of those things. It would be better if it slams into Earth and eliminates the human race. I'm with you.  ;)

374443[/snapback]

Hey dude, are you posting from one of those shiny disc shaped thingies that have been appearing in rural locales of the US since the 1940s ? :(

Hey dude, are you posting from one of those shiny disc shaped thingies that have been appearing in rural locales of the US since the 1940s ?  ;)

374873[/snapback]

how could he possibly be posting on one of those shiny discs, the greys would have had to installed a wireless hotspot or something in front of the Uranus-scan Probinator 5000

Show's what you know.  The new Uranusscan Probinator 6000 is Bluetooth-enabled...

374885[/snapback]

They use the anal probe to look for and study enteric bacteria. From an outsider's point of view, this planet is pimarily populated with bacteria. Humans are just a pain in the ass...so to speak. We're just giant, mobile condominium complexes.

Was it a preemptive strike because the comet had weapons of mass destruction?

374454[/snapback]

There was a report that Osama Bin Laden was hiding out on the comet. So it was a military strike. Watch Al Jazeer TV for any responses from the Al Queida network.

This is one of the most uninformed  things I've ever read on this board.  Do you have ANY concept of the technological advancements that have been direct results of the space program?

374472[/snapback]

Like Tang? :)

I agree with you, Mike. :)

This is one of the most uninformed  things I've ever read on this board.  Do you have ANY concept of the technological advancements that have been direct results of the space program?

Here, go learn something: http://www.sti.nasa.gov/tto/apollo.htm

374472[/snapback]

I'm not saying that the space programs should be completely stopped, but it's so damn expensive, that if they only cut 10% or so, you'd still save BILLIONS of dollars.

I simply think at least some of that money could be put to better use here, on earth.

Ya know who is really impressed with this "historic" event? The 28,000+ Africans who died yesterday (and will die today) from starvation, TB, AIDS, etc.

But, But, but.... we may have learned something from this!!! :)

Mike in Syracuse, I understand many advancements have been made at the hands of NASA. This one, however, (along with many other experiments, including crashing millions.. or billions... of dollars of equipment into Mars) seem like money that coud be MUCH better spent elsewhere.

But don't worry, those starving people in Africa have Bono from U2 and Paul McCartney working for them...

:)

I'm not saying that the space programs should be completely stopped, but it's so damn expensive, that if they only cut 10% or so, you'd still save BILLIONS of dollars.

I simply think at least some of that money could be put to better use here, on earth.

375090[/snapback]

Horse crap. NASA's impact on the 2.4 TRILLION dollar US budget was about $15 BILLION last year. That's barely over one half of one percent. Interest on the National Debt was approximately $300 BILLION.

NASA's technology innovations and civilian partnerships have led to advancements that touch your everyday lives.

1. Satellite Television. In 1962, NASA launched the first broadcast satellite - TELSTAR I. Live television was broadcast from the US to France THAT DAY.

In 1976 they launched CTS, which was the most powerful satellite ever. It allowed the creation of lower cost earth stations - which paved the way for direct broadcast television.

2. Cordless power tools and vacuum cleaners are direct results of a NASA technology partnership with Black & Decker. NASA engineers used their computer modeling expertise to design a motor small and powerful enough to run on a battery - ON THE MOON.

3. The first smoke detectors were designed in a partnership with Honeywell for Skylab.

4. The first water filters were designed in support of the Apollo missions.

5. Home insulation improvements are the direct result of NASA research on heat shields for the Apollo missions.

6. In 1992, the FDA approved the use of NASA's "cool" laser technology for use in heart surgery. It has replaced angioplasty.

7. The development of the CCD (charged coupled device) pretty much eliminated the need for scalpels in mammograms. Doctors can now use a needle to do biopsies, eliminating scars and saving patients and insurance providers over 300% on these procedures.

8. Digital Image Processing - including CATScans and MRIs are derived from NASA technology developed in the 1960s for LANDSAT.

9. Marshall Flight Center technology for making strong lightweight material that withstands propulsion tolerances is used to make prosthetic devices for amputees.

10. Those thermometers they stick in your ear? NASA Technology developed to measure the temperature of stars.

11. LEDs were developed for plant research on the Space Shuttle. They are now being used to treat SKIN CANCER.

12. X-33 composite materials were used to develop forceps to deliver babies.

13. NASA Ames developed pill sized transmitters that can be left inside the human body (to monitor astronauts). It is now being used in fetal care.

14. Technology designed to study photos sent back from space probes is now being used to detect chromosome abnormalities.

15. Those little internet cameras that are so prevelant today were designed by NASA JPL in Pasadena.

16. Scratch resistant glass was developed by NASA. Do you wear sunglasses?

17. Lightening protection technology was pioneered by NASA. Thank them everytime you fly through a storm.

18. Doppler Microwave Radar was developed in conjunction with NASA to combat windshear.

19. The material used to make moonsuits is now used for stadium and large building roofs. Ever been to the Georgia Dome or Denver Airport?

20. NASA Technology is used for padding in football helmets, chest protectors, and shin guards.

21. Golf balls fly farther because of external tank airload and slosh control technology.

These are just a few examples. I didn't bother with airframes, forest fire fighting, etc.

NASA is a VERY small part of our tax money - for a VERY large return.

Feel free to send them your beer money, ya sensitive humanist.

375123[/snapback]

Nahhhh... I'll send that money to NASA so maybe some of my money can get crashed into Mars.

Screw the starving Africans...

Ya know who is really impressed with this "historic" event?  The 28,000+ Africans who died yesterday (and will die today) from starvation, TB, AIDS, etc.

But, But, but.... we may have learned something from this!!! :)

Mike in Syracuse, I understand many advancements have been made at the hands of NASA. This one, however, (along with many other experiments, including crashing millions.. or billions...  of dollars of equipment into Mars) seem like money that coud be MUCH better spent elsewhere.

But don't worry, those starving people in Africa have Bono from U2 and Paul McCartney working for them...

375118[/snapback]

Uhhh...okay, Sally Struthers.

Stopping the space program isn't going to stop people from dying in Africa any more than keeping it going is. The idea that any problem can be solved if you throw enough money at it is uniquely American...and fallacious, even in America. I'd say Africa's proven repeatedly that such an idea is not just fallacious in Africa, but outright stupid. Ask people in Zaire how much financial aid has helped feed them, why don't you?

And as for cutting the space program...you can easily trim 10% of their budget if you take an axe to NASA bureaucrats and put the agency in the hands of engineers again (consider this: when Kennedy committed the US to the moon landings in 1961, we were eight years away from being able to do it. Nowadays, we're 16 years away from landing on the moon. That is NOT an effective ROI). But there's easily 20 other places in the federal budget where billions more are wasted even worse than NASA's lawyers do...of the top of my head I can easily think of three major programs in the defense budget alone. Why don't you dig into it and find out where and how the government REALLY wastes money, instead of blithely throwing out "I don't like NASA, cut their budget!"