Rummy says insurgency could last decade

I am not surprised Rummy thinks the insurgency may last a decade or more, but I am surprised he said it. Do you think he is right? and is he laying the groundwork for a continued military commitment to cut off any debate about setting deadlines?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/06/27/iraq.main.intl/

Opinions? How Long will we be there? How long will it go on?

Why is Rummy saying it?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not surprised Rummy thinks the insurgency may last a decade or more, but I am surprised he said it. Do you think he is right? and is he laying the groundwork for a continued military commitment to cut off any debate about setting deadlines?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/06/27/iraq.main.intl/

Opinions? How Long will we be there? How long will it go on?

Why is Rummy saying it?

368863[/snapback]

We'll be there for a long while. The insurgency will go on for a decade or so (if you look at the history of insurgencies, that's about par for the course, save the ones that succeed inside a decade). Rummy said it because he's a seriously straightforward and direct speaker.

We'll be there for a long while.  The insurgency will go on for a decade or so (if you look at the history of insurgencies, that's about par for the course, save the ones that succeed inside a decade).  Rummy said it because he's a seriously straightforward and direct speaker.

368873[/snapback]

Time to work on the neighbors.

If the insurgency continues at the same level through the end of the year, there will be sufficient public pressure on both parties in Congress who will be up for election to push the administration to cut our losses and begin a withdrawl of a significant number of forces. If the Iraqis can't handle security by then, then we need to get out and not lose any more American lives. Iraq is going to end up democratically electing a fundamentalist government, and they'll end up being a worse threat to America in the long run than Saddam was, having become the new training ground for terrorists. Be careful what you wish for...

One day, Rummy is going to say "whew....little cold in D.C. this morning" and the usual suspects will decry it as a secret kabal to falsely pump up sales of wool coats through the loosely connected Wool Coat subsidiary of Halliburton. :(

If the insurgency continues at the same level through the end of the year, there will be sufficient public pressure on both parties in Congress who will be up for election to push the administration to cut our losses and begin a withdrawl of a significant number of forces.  If the Iraqis can't handle security by then, then we need to get out and not lose any more American lives.  Iraq is going to end up democratically electing a fundamentalist government, and they'll end up being a worse threat to America in the long run than Saddam was, having become the new training ground for terrorists.  Be careful what you wish for...

368882[/snapback]

Right.

Thanks for the input, sunshine.

One day, Rummy is going to say "whew....little cold in D.C. this morning" and the usual suspects will decry it as a secret kabal to falsely pump up sales of wool coats through the loosely connected Wool Coat subsidiary of Halliburton.  :(

368887[/snapback]

Well, we are still paying mohair subsidies...

Rummy said it because he's a seriously straightforward and direct speaker.

368873[/snapback]

Then, why do you think he waited until now to say this?

I think he is usually on message, but maybe it has something

to do with the President's talk tonight. The talk of turning

this over to the Iraqi's is sounding very much like Vietnamization

during the LBJ days, but that is a sidepoint.

This is nothing new. But yet the media, again,  is trying to make something out of nothing. Slow Monday.......... :(

Here's a good op-ed from Max Boot:

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commen...,7995736.column

368940[/snapback]

Amazed that was in the LA Times.

Excellent article.

Amazed that was in the LA Times.

Excellent article.

368951[/snapback]

It was in the ST Pete Times today, but was not on their on-line paper. So when I found it, I had the same reaction as you. I had not read the writer before, I also thought it was well writen.........

This is nothing new. But yet the media, again,  is trying to make something out of nothing. Slow Monday.......... :(

368940[/snapback]

Interesting link. But I don't think Rummy's statement can be dismissed as "nothing new", when the administration has avoided timetables. It certainly caught my attention and nothing has been said like this, unless you count, Bush's "when the job is finished" statements.

Interesting link. But I don't think Rummy's statement can be dismissed as "nothing new", when the administration has avoided timetables. It certainly caught my attention and nothing has been said like this, unless you count, Bush's "when the job is finished" statements.

368980[/snapback]

Maybe I should have been clearer. Numerous people over the last few years have insisted or eluded to the fact that this war on Terror, and the war in Iraq will go on for the next 5 to 10 years. That's with having success, without, longer. This is, I believe the first time Rummy has said it. Still nothing new, just a different mouth saying it.

368940[/snapback]

Huh?

Is this the article's disclaimer?:

"But even if the border gets sealed, pacifying Iraq will be a long, hard slog that will ultimately be up to the Iraqis."

There might not be a unifying leader but, poverty and radical Islam is nothing to sneeze at?

This is a new era and times are vastly different. I have a hard time believeing strict and static elements from the past are that important. You can do some much more with so little nowadays?

One day, Rummy is going to say "whew....little cold in D.C. this morning" and the usual suspects will decry it as a secret kabal to falsely pump up sales of wool coats through the loosely connected Wool Coat subsidiary of Halliburton.  :(

368887[/snapback]

And when he issues that statement he'll be standing in 14 feet of snow with the temperature reading -80F.

And while I'm at it, I heard a report on the news this morning that "we" and the Iraqi "government" have met with the insurgents.

True?

I thought we didn't negotiate with terrorists? Or are "insurgents" who use terroristic tactics not "terrorists" unless they specifically make that claim? They're certainly terrorizing people...

So why would we negotiate with terrorists? And if we are, why these terrorists and not other terrorists?