3rd shift

mead107

I'm a shift worker like Lori and follow a similar sleep regimen. When I work graveyards I get home around 815 am and sleep from around 9am- 3 pm, then take a short "nap" from 9-1030 pm (if I can get it which is hard to do in the summer with 3 kids).

That's way too broad a brush to paint with, bud.

P.S.  White collar here.

368756[/snapback]

mind you, my snooze button comment was in jest. I know many union folks who work their asses off. The point is, for the MOST part, unions are outdated, and not necessary.

Union jobs = snooze button is considered overtime.

368396[/snapback]

Hey Stoj- my question for you is : Why do you care so much about what somebody ELSE does to earn their paycheck? You obviously are not in a line of work that requires you to join a union, so what gives? Yes I'm in a union job. No it does not involve manual labor of any sort and is not in a factory. It is a government job. I could truly take the union or leave it. But I do not make the decision on whether or not there is a union involved. It pays well, so I suppose I can't complain. I just don't understand the union hate, particularly when it comes from those who are not, and have never been part of a union. I for example, do not despise people who work non union jobs. I do not belittle them for not being a union member. So how about canning the superiority complex and realizing there's more than one way to make a buck out there? I don't feel the need to wonder if everyone ELSE is doing enough work to justify the paycheck they receive out in the world. It's fairly naive to assume that everyone is paid in direct proportion to how much work they do, no? I mean is the $105 my doctor charges to my insurance for my 10 minute office visit (and 1hour "wait time") comensurate with the "work performed? Hardly! Unions have NOTHING on that kind of theft! What about the $450 brake job at your friendly Midas shop? Or the thousands in attorneys fees when the guy whose bumper you "tapped" in traffic sues your A$$ ? Fact is, there is very little out there in the world of commerce that leaves one satisfied with the value for what we've purchased. Bills game,Steve? No our ticket is paying Moulds his millions, but higher prices on beer, cars, and whatever the heck else they advertise on these things are paid by all. We're all getting screwed out there, and in turn are screwing someone else out of their dollars when we collect our paycheck. The ways of capitalism. Get what you can get from whomever while you can get it. The concept that ANYONE is worth what they are actually paid is laughable. <_<

Here we go with one of the old-timers using age as a defense to an argument. Again, I would like to know how old you have to be here to make what you would consider a valid point.  30? 35? Wow, I can harldy wait the 5-10 years until I can actually make a valid point. And here I thought 55 was going to be the next benchmark birthday (hey, what can I say? I drink ALOT of coffee from Burger King, every dime counts!)

Also, I don't feel that you needed the "yeah, right" at the end of that sentence I quoted. Unless someone is living under a rock, the sarcasm was self evident without the additional  "this sentence was sarcasm" phrase.

So, timekeeper OhBF, please send me a PM when you feel I am old enough to make a point that could possibly make any rantional sense.

368494[/snapback]

Redundant, yes. Yet, to answer your question:

wis·dom Pronunciation (wzdm)n.

1. The ability to discern or judge what is true, right, or lasting; insight.

2. Common sense; good judgment: "It is a characteristic of wisdom not to do desperate things" Henry David Thoreau.

3.a. The sum of learning through the ages; knowledge: "In those homely sayings

was couched the collective wisdom of generations" Maya Angelou.

3.b. Wise teachings of the ancient sages.

4. A wise outlook, plan, or course of action.

5. Wisdom Bible Wisdom of Solomon.

The whole point of your age was to merely to highlight that you have a long road ahead that you might wish to travel a bit before making such blanket statements and launching snide attacks upon others who may be Union people.

Hey Stoj- my question for you is : Why do you care so much about what somebody ELSE does to earn their paycheck? You obviously are not in a line of work that requires you to join a union, so what gives? Yes I'm in a union job. No it does not involve manual labor of any sort and is not in a factory. It is a government job. I could truly take the union or leave it. But I do not make the decision on whether or not there is a union involved. It pays well, so I suppose I can't complain. I just don't understand the union hate, particularly when it comes from those who are not, and have never been part of a union. I for example, do not despise people who work non union jobs. I do not belittle them for not being a union member. So how about canning the superiority complex and realizing there's more than one way to make a buck out there? I don't feel the need to wonder if everyone ELSE is doing enough work to justify the paycheck they receive out in the world. It's fairly naive to assume that everyone is paid in direct proportion to how much work they do, no?  I mean is the $105 my doctor charges to my insurance for my 10 minute office visit (and 1hour "wait time") comensurate with the "work performed? Hardly! Unions have NOTHING on that kind of theft!  What about the $450 brake job at your friendly Midas shop? Or the thousands in attorneys fees when the guy whose bumper you "tapped" in traffic sues your A$$ ? Fact is, there is very little out there in the world of commerce that leaves one satisfied with the value for what we've purchased. Bills game,Steve? No our ticket is paying Moulds his millions, but higher prices on beer, cars, and whatever the heck else they advertise on these things are paid by all.  We're all getting screwed out there, and in turn are screwing someone else out of their dollars when we collect our paycheck. The ways of capitalism. Get what you can get from whomever while you can get it. The concept that ANYONE is worth what they are actually paid is laughable.  <_<

369415[/snapback]

Good post.

Ok, I just really want you union guys to understand that I am not attacking the individual workers. My sister is in a union (she's a teacher at Hamburg). My mother is in a union (teacher's aide at Lake Shore). Do they both work their asses off? Of course. I will say again, my ENTIRE point is that for the MOST part unions are no longer relevant. My sister will tell you that. My mother will tell you that. As a matter of fact, they often joke about it.

I mean, just look at why unions were originally started, and then ask youself if they are still needed.

So, I again repeat, I have nothing against anyone in a union (family parties would be ugly if that were the case :D ) I just think the idea is outdated and about 1% of union jobs really need their union at all.

But then again, I'm only 25. Perhaps I should just go back to coloring. Im sure OhBF, in his infinite wisdom, will give you an answer more suitable to everyone's liking. I mean, he's proabably over 40, the age when wisdom starts pouring out of one's butt.

I mean, just look at why unions were originally started, and then ask youself if they are still needed.

369441[/snapback]

Probably not in the case of your relatives, who are doing what I consider white-collar jobs. As long as nobody goes postal at their workplaces, there isn't much in the way of occupational hazard there.

Where I work, on the other hand... well, let's start with the several hundred tons of molten glass in our furnaces and go from there. A couple of years ago, a worker in one of our other factories was killed on the job. Decapitated, by part of a two-story-tall machine.

And without our union threatening to deep-six the entire contract over it, we'd be pulling mandatory double-shifts in and around said machinery. (I know this to be fact, because a couple of years ago - before the contract language was changed to prohibit them - one too many of those mandatory doubles ended up costing me two months of therapy trying to rehab a fried rotator cuff. The head therapist at the hospital told me they get a LOT of business from us...)

Not all unions are good, and there's a lot I don't like about the way they operate. But not all unions are bad, either... and there ARE still places where they're needed.