3rd shift

mead107

And how many union jobs have you worked?

368402[/snapback]

1) I don't need to stick my finger in a pile of sh-- to know it stinks. It's called observing the world around you.

2) Of course not "all" union jobs are a joke. I have friends and family in unions (mainly teachers). And I never said the jobs themselves are jokes. But the fact that it is the year 2005 an we still HAVE unions is a huge joke.

3) Aren't you unemployed?

1) I don't need to stick my finger in a pile of sh-- to know it stinks. It's called observing the world around you.

2) Of course not "all" union jobs are a joke. I have friends and family in unions (mainly teachers).  And I never said the jobs themselves are jokes. But the fact that it is the year 2005 an we still HAVE unions is a huge joke.

3) Aren't you unemployed?

368419[/snapback]

And because you say it's so, with the wisdom of 25 years of life, we should all bow at the temple of Stevestojan? The self appointed economic guru of TSW? Aren't there enough of them here already? Unions in the traditonal sense (i.e. Teamsters, AFL-CIO, etc) may continue to die a slow torturous death but a better mousetrap could be just around the corner.

But hey, thanks for your most valuable input. Yeah, right....

(P.S. I'm in middle management and have never belonged to a Union, but....)

1. why is it that ppl who dont work in unions or never have always badmouth them?

2. i worked at xerox for 5 years, in the union, and the ones that destroyed that company where non-union corporates looking for more millions in there pockets

3. yes ppl do take advantage of the unions and some ppl do give unions a bad name, but the unions generally weed these ppl out.

4. id rather work with a union factory worker than any a$$ kissing desk jockey that dosent have the brains to know that real reason they have a job is because of the work the union factory workers do. I used to hate all thos office ppl that thought they where better cuz they had some schooling and werent union factory workers...all stuck up and with no real sense of humor.

with the wisdom of 25 years of life

But hey, thanks for your most valuable input. Yeah, right....

368481[/snapback]

Here we go with one of the old-timers using age as a defense to an argument. Again, I would like to know how old you have to be here to make what you would consider a valid point. 30? 35? Wow, I can harldy wait the 5-10 years until I can actually make a valid point. And here I thought 55 was going to be the next benchmark birthday (hey, what can I say? I drink ALOT of coffee from Burger King, every dime counts!)

Also, I don't feel that you needed the "yeah, right" at the end of that sentence I quoted. Unless someone is living under a rock, the sarcasm was self evident without the additional "this sentence was sarcasm" phrase.

So, timekeeper OhBF, please send me a PM when you feel I am old enough to make a point that could possibly make any rantional sense.

A. No.

B. What does it matter?

368484[/snapback]

What does it matter? You asked if I had a union job. No, I don't. One of my parents does, however, and they will tell you that the union is completely un-needed and archaic (definition of archaic for BF). The fact that you questioned my work, when as of 2 months ago, you were unemployed, struck me as interesting.

Why am I not surprised, however, that now that you did get a job (of which I'd still like to see a check stub before I buy that), it's with a union. :angry:

I get up at 3am to start work at 4. Home at 12:30. Usually asleep by 7:30-8pm.

I get so much more done around the house, with my hours. I can also spend more time with the family. Win/win for me.

368499[/snapback]

Nice avatar, Mark. Goes well with my morning coffee. :angry:

What does it matter? You asked if I had a union job. No, I don't. One of my parents does, however, and they will tell you that the union is completely un-needed and archaic (definition of archaic for BF).  The fact that you questioned my work, when as of 2 months ago, you were unemployed, struck me as interesting.

Why am I not surprised, however, that now that you did get a job (of which I'd still like to see a check stub before I buy that), it's with a union. :(

368495[/snapback]

Who said I was working for a union? I'm not. You asked if I had a job outside of playing cards again and I said yes. And what does it matter to this discussion? It doesn't.

I was just curious if you had worked a union job in the past. Not a big deal.

And because you say it's so, with the wisdom of 25 years of life, we should all bow at the temple of Stevestojan?

Whether or not you agree with his argument, the fact he is 25 is irrelevant. Some people have lived a lifetime before their 25th birthday, while others have not done crap in 60 years. While age may bring wisdom, it may also bring bias, lack of relativism, and in old age dementia. When is he old enough to have a “valid” opinion?

He has an opinion. Debate him on the facts and merits of his argument.

Worked 12 am to 8am for a year. I absolutely hated it. Sure I had all day to things, but I was always so stinkin' tired I was like a zombie. I would try to sleep when I got home around 9 am and sleep til about 4 or 5. Eat and wait around to go to work. Then on Fridays I would try to stay up until as late as possible so I could sleep "normal" hours so I could have a "normal" weekend. I'd usually fall asleep in my chair around 7 pm and be up at 3 or 4 Saturday morning. Then be a zombie again on Saturday because by the time anyone else got up it was 10 or 11. Then Sunday, I'd take a nap around 6 and sleep til 8 or 9 so I wouldn't be a "zombie" at work.

I feel for you.

Worked 12 am to 8am for a year.  I absolutely hated it.  Sure I had all day to things, but I was always so stinkin' tired I was like a zombie.  I would try to sleep when I got home around 9 am and sleep til about 4 or 5.  Eat and wait around to go to work.  Then on Fridays I would try to stay up until as late as possible so I could sleep "normal" hours so I could have a "normal" weekend.  I'd usually fall asleep in my chair around 7 pm and be up at 3 or 4 Saturday morning.  Then be a zombie again on Saturday because by the time anyone else got up it was 10 or 11.  Then Sunday, I'd take a nap around 6 and sleep til 8 or 9 so I wouldn't be a "zombie" at work.

I feel for you.

368758[/snapback]

The deal for me is, split your sleep times. (I've worked a rotating shift for upwards of 15 years now, which makes things even more fun...) :(

When I'm on midnights (as I am now), I get home just shy of 8 AM. Stay up just long enough to read the morning sports sections and listen to a little bit of Simon, then sack out around 8:30-9 AM. Back up around 2 or 3 PM, then grab another nap from 8-10:30 or so at night. Doing it that way gives me more scheduling flexibility, too - something going on in the evening? Just sleep later into the afternoon.

Midnight shifts do have their advantages - especially where I work, when an 85-degree day means it's 100-120 inside the factory for most of the 4-12 shift....