Top 5 Reasons why Bills will make the Playoffs

1. Willis and Lee Evans are both entering their second years as playing pros. Lee Evans started to really come into his own in the second half of the season last year, so this year, he should be able to take it from the start. Willis, as we all know, is coming off a knee injury that always takes time from which to recover. Another year means he's only going to improve from last year.

2. Troy Vincent will be our full-time free safety. Last year Izell Reese and whoever else they stuck back there were a big hole in our otherwise stellar defense. Troy Vincent could team up with Milloy to contribute to what could be the league's best secondary.

3. With the exception of Pat Williams, the league's second-rated defense is returing everybody. They're only going to get better, which means unbelievable things considering what they did last year.

4. Everyone on the team is ready to win. Losing in the last game of the year they way they did against the Steelers only left a bad taste in their mouths. If this team needed another reason to come to play, they got a big one.

5. Mike Murlarkey now has a solid grip on being an NFL head coach. Last year was his rookie year, and he didn't know exactly what it would take to be successful. A year of experience will go a long way towards him leading this team to the playoffs. He knows what he has to do, and he's ready to do it.

1. A lot of guys who impress in their first full year have that ol' sophmore slump. If there's anyone who can beat it tho, it's them.

2. If he stays healthy. (If he takes out JP again, the TBD mob will be after him. :ph34r::P)

3. Meh. Reluctant yes, in that you're really underestimating Pat's contribution. Anderson or Edwards steps up, or scheming by Gray, and it's still a dropoff.

4. Yup.

5. Yup. He had it last year but he's got it even more this year.

1. Willis and Lee Evans are both entering their second years as playing pros.  Lee Evans started to really come into his own in the second half of the season last year, so this year, he should be able to take it from the start.  Willis, as we all know, is coming off a knee injury that always takes time from which to recover.  Another year means he's only going to improve from last year.

2. Troy Vincent will be our full-time free safety.  Last year Izell Reese and whoever else they stuck back there were a big hole in our otherwise stellar defense.  Troy Vincent could team up with Milloy to contribute to what could be the league's best secondary.

3. With the exception of Pat Williams, the league's second-rated defense is returing everybody.  They're only going to get better, which means unbelievable things considering what they did last year.

4. Everyone on the team is ready to win.  Losing in the last game of the year they way they did against the Steelers only left a bad taste in their mouths.  If this team needed another reason to come to play, they got a big one. 

5. Mike Murlarkey now has a solid grip on being an NFL head coach.  Last year was his rookie year, and he didn't know exactly what it would take to be successful.  A year of experience will go a long way towards him leading this team to the playoffs.  He knows what he has to do, and he's ready to do it.

368057[/snapback]

I think the combination of starting a rookie Qb with no left tackle is going to

negate any other strides on offense.

Also, Buffalo defense finished # 2 in total yards, correct, however # 8 in

total points. Secondary should be better, although I think Pat Williams is

going to be missed more than most admit.

The team seemed very healthy last year and we won't be playing the NFC West.

8-8 next year.

We're only fielding 10 offensive players?  Damn.

368085[/snapback]

Well, we do have a $9 - $10 million dollar/year left tackle.

Unfortunately he's playing on the wrong end of the line.

Not real sure about the tight-end situation either. Who's starting there?

1. Willis and Lee Evans are both entering their second years as playing pros.  Lee Evans started to really come into his own in the second half of the season last year, so this year, he should be able to take it from the start.  Willis, as we all know, is coming off a knee injury that always takes time from which to recover.  Another year means he's only going to improve from last year.

2. Troy Vincent will be our full-time free safety.  Last year Izell Reese and whoever else they stuck back there were a big hole in our otherwise stellar defense.  Troy Vincent could team up with Milloy to contribute to what could be the league's best secondary.

3. With the exception of Pat Williams, the league's second-rated defense is returing everybody.  They're only going to get better, which means unbelievable things considering what they did last year.

4. Everyone on the team is ready to win.  Losing in the last game of the year they way they did against the Steelers only left a bad taste in their mouths.  If this team needed another reason to come to play, they got a big one. 

5. Mike Murlarkey now has a solid grip on being an NFL head coach.  Last year was his rookie year, and he didn't know exactly what it would take to be successful.  A year of experience will go a long way towards him leading this team to the playoffs.  He knows what he has to do, and he's ready to do it.

368057[/snapback]

One thing that works against the Bills is that there is virtually zero chance that it will be a down year for the division. The Pats are as consistent as can be and the Jets seem to have improved. The Dolphins won't be terrible again. Winning the division will be the a huge task and earning a wildcard is made difficult by the importance of AFC and division record tie-breakers.

Another issue is health. The Bills have had some injuries, but I believe that dating back to the arrival of Gregg Williams and his emphasis on being in shape, Rusty Jones has had the Bills in exceptional health. Jones is gone. Will we see a return to the Wade Phillips era of incessant groin/muscle injuries? It comes down to Mularkey and his emphasis on conditioning.

One thing that works against the Bills is that there is virtually zero chance that it will be a down year for the division.  The Pats are as consistent as can be and the Jets seem to have improved.  The Dolphins won't be terrible again.  Winning the division will be the a huge task and earning a wildcard is made difficult by the importance of AFC and division record tie-breakers.

Another issue is health.  The Bills have had some injuries, but I believe that dating back to the arrival of Gregg Williams and his emphasis on being in shape, Rusty Jones has had the Bills in exceptional health.  Jones is gone.  Will we see a return to the Wade Phillips era of incessant groin/muscle injuries?  It comes down to Mularkey and his emphasis on conditioning.

368138[/snapback]

Mostly I agree, except for where have the jets improved? They lost not only a good tackle in kareem mckenzie, but also lost their starting dt ferguson, and a backup dt. Drafted a 26 year old dt, who by all acounts is a raw project, and by the time he'll be good he'll be old. Starting Lance Legree at dt doesn't exactaly scare anyone. although the jets should still have a solid defense, even though their secondary is blah. Doug Jolley isn't a world beater at te by any means, and how will chad pennington recover from his shoulder injury? He didn't exactaly have the greatest arm before this. If anything they have more questions than we do.

If we can stay healthy, and the line can be consistent. I don't excpect miracles, but if we can limit the mistakes of losman, while mainitaining a high level of play from our defense we have as good of a shot as anyone.

So w/o Pat, how exactly are they going to be better?

the Jets seem to have improved

368138[/snapback]

Seriously ? I think the exact opposite. They have a QB who can't throw the ball 15 yards after arm surgery. Their backup is Fiedler. Curtis Martin had a career year at age 31. He'll do it again ? Secondary issues a plenty. OL in transition. One top DL left and another is holding out. We should have won the game in NY last year and beat them good at the Ralph.

I think the Jets are a major hype job. We'll see. Miami will improve but it will take a couple years.

The Bills ? I'll take it one game at a time.

See number 2

McGee has a year of starting under his belt.

Clements is in a contract year.

Kelsay improved on run support.

Another year with the system/coaches in place.

368187[/snapback]

To counter, and I am not saying I know the answers, or even if they will be an issue:

No valid LT option.

A poor 2nd corner

No depth at LB

Questions in the center of the D line

Continued questions on the end of the Dline and now our best Dlineman is gone

No healthy TE's

Mcgahee is still questionable as far as long term health

Coaches got their lunch handed to them the last game of the year. They obviously didn't learn a lot during their first year.

So w/o Pat, how exactly are they going to be better?

368184[/snapback]

Edwards is just as big, or bigger, faster, more athletic, and a better pass rusher. Anderson is a tough, blue collar, down in the trenches kind of guy. We will be better without the aging, declining Williams.

I think everyone forgets that Fat Pat made his mark playing along side Teddy Washington and Sam Adams, who tied up multiple blockers and allowed Williams to look a lot better than he really is.

Edwards is just as big, or bigger, faster, more athletic, and a better pass rusher. Anderson is a tough, blue collar, down in the trenches kind of guy. We will be better without the aging, declining Williams.

I think everyone forgets that Fat Pat made his mark playing along side Teddy Washington and Sam Adams, who tied up multiple blockers and allowed Williams to look a lot better than he really is.

368271[/snapback]

I miss "The Package".

368271[/snapback]

Wait a minute, where are you getting this about Edwards and Anderson?

Edwards had what, one good showing, and Anderson: has he even made a tackle?

tough, blue collar, down in the trenches kind of guy = No Talent

what package ????????????????????????

368342[/snapback]

When Ted Wahington and Pat Williams were both in at DT positions,

they were referred to as "The Package".

Seriously ?  I think the exact opposite. They have a QB who can't throw the ball 15 yards after arm surgery. Their backup is Fiedler. Curtis Martin had a career year at age 31. He'll do it again ? Secondary issues a plenty. OL in transition. One top DL left and another is holding out. We should have won the game in NY last year and beat them good at the Ralph.

I think the Jets are a major hype job. We'll see. Miami will improve but it will take a couple years.

The Bills ? I'll take it one game at a time.

368192[/snapback]

I agree 100%. I am not sure what the Bills will do (although I am very optimistic, mainly for intangible reasons), but I just don't buy into the Jets hype at all. So much of their success last season hinged on the surprisng burst they got out of Curtis Martin. Can they really expect the same thing from him again? Isn't he like 33 now? While I like Pennington, I don't think he will ever be an elite QB. I know he plays injured (which is a whole other issue), but even when healthy, he has a great attitude, but a very mediocre arm. That worked for Monatana, but I am not so sure it will work for Pennington. His receiving core is erratic, and their offensive line did take a hit in the off season. On top of that, I think Herm Edwards is as bad a game day coach as there is, this side of Mike Martz. He has charisma and all, and supplies us with great sound bites, but he was very lucky to have beaten the Chargers last year. They won that game, more because of Shcottenheimers' playing not to lose, than anything they did in the end. Edwards has a "game clock management" coach on the sidelines with him, but still manages to butcher the time clock. Ultimately, if the Bills are for real, I think their only real obstacle in the division will be the Patriots.

Mostly I agree, except for where have the jets improved?  They lost not only a good tackle in kareem mckenzie, but also lost their starting dt ferguson, and a backup dt.  Drafted a 26 year old dt, who by all acounts is a raw project, and by the time he'll be good he'll be old.  Starting Lance Legree at dt doesn't exactaly scare anyone. although the jets should still have a solid defense, even though their secondary is blah.  Doug Jolley isn't a world beater at te by any means, and how will chad pennington recover from his shoulder injury? He didn't exactaly have the greatest arm before this.  If anything they have more questions than we do.   

If we can stay healthy, and the line can be consistent. I don't excpect miracles, but if we can limit the mistakes of losman, while mainitaining a high level of play from our defense we have as good of a shot as anyone.

368180[/snapback]

The Jets got a major upgrade at receiver with Laveraneus Coles. Jolley is a very good receiver, I'd love to have him. Heimerdinger is an upgrade. They have a question mark at DT, but the other 3 DL are Pro Bowl quality players. To me, their biggest loss was LaMont Jordan. Curtis Martin is going to hit the wall at some point.

I agree that Pennington has a weak arm, and that he has a lower ceiling as a player because of that. He's a blessing and a curse for the Jets organization, because he's smart, accurate and loaded with intangibles, but he will always leave them wanting for a more durable QB with a better arm. But to me, it all comes down to the fact that they make frequent playoff appearances. For all his shortcomings as a gameday coach, Edwards gets those guys to the playoffs.