Your Favorite (best) and worst President Ever?

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could have been better.  He forgot to mention double-digit inflation and interest rates...
And double digit unemployment.

*sigh* Coulda woulda shoulda...

Even those who wish to believe his initials (JC) are no mere coincidence can be forced to admit the failures of his presidency, though they often make use of the argument that it was a confluence of unfortunate circumstances during which his term just happened to coincide. Pure happenstance! The sun got in my eyes - I heard a dog barking - I ran out of gas. I, I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts. IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD. (Thanks, Jake).

No, it's the popular notion he's somehow become a grand statesman since then, and has thoughts and ideas that should be listened to that makes me ill. The man was a complete and utter failure, and he has no business interjecting himself (as he seems to be unable to control himself to) into world political affairs. For cryin' out loud, his criticisms of the US in general, the current President specifically (whomever it may be at the time), and morally equivilent comparisons to communist regimes make Bill Clinton look downright reserved in contrast.

Feed the hungry, Jimmy. Build shelters for the homeless. And in the name of all that does not suck, shut up.

*sigh* Coulda woulda shoulda...

Even those who wish to believe his initials (JC) are no mere coincidence can be forced to admit the failures of his presidency, though they often make use of the argument that it was a confluence of unfortunate circumstances during which his term just happened to coincide. Pure happenstance! The sun got in my eyes - I heard a dog barking - I ran out of gas. I, I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts. IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD. (Thanks, Jake).

No, it's the popular notion he's somehow become a grand statesman since then, and has thoughts and ideas that should be listened to that makes me ill. The man was a complete and utter failure, and he has no business interjecting himself (as he seems to be unable to control himself to) into world political affairs. For cryin' out loud, his criticisms of the US in general, the current President specifically (whomever it may be at the time), and morally equivilent comparisons to communist regimes make Bill Clinton look downright reserved in contrast.

Feed the hungry, Jimmy. Build shelters for the homeless. And in the name of all that does not suck, shut up.

369314[/snapback]

You do understand, of course, that we agree with you.

We just wanted to point out that, for all that, there's even more reasons Carter sucked.

You do understand, of course, that we agree with you

We just wanted to point out that, for all that, there's even more reasons Carter sucked.

369316[/snapback]

Oh I know. I just go a long time without speaking, then once I get started I ramble on quite a bit. As long as some of my posts get, I usually type out twice as much and then end up deleting half of it before hitting the "add" key.

Oh I know. I just go a long time without speaking, then once I get started I ramble on quite a bit. As long as some of my posts get, I usually type out twice as much and then end up deleting half of it before hitting the "add" key.

369326[/snapback]

Are you FFS in another life? <_<

I am not a student of history, so I don't think I can give an informed opinion on the best or worst presidents. I will say most of my admiration is reserved for those who founded our country.

But this talk of Jimmy Carter being a good honest person who got stuck in a bad situation, and how much good he's done as an ex-president, is quite simply, sickening.

Jimmy Carter has been a pain in the backside of each subsequent president - he's the anti-president. His actions in North Korea and Haiti certainly upset Clinton, but his lowest point had to be during the lead-up to the Gulf War, when he wrote to members of the UN Security Council, including France and Communist China, to urge them to thwart President GHW Bush's efforts.

The "miraculous" Camp David accords? Maybe some credit is due. But Sadat and Begin already had a deal worked out before approaching Washington. Their facilitators at the time were the King of Morocco and Ceausescu of Romania, both fine upstanding men with Carter's ear. But all in all, he did pay for the bill, so there is something to be said for that.

From Carter's biographer:

"There was no world leader Jimmy Carter was more eager to know than Yasir Arafat." Carter "felt certain affinities with the Palestinian: a tendency toward hyperactivity and a workaholic disposition with unremitting sixteen-hour days, seven days a week, decade after decade."

At their first meeting — in 1990 — Carter boasted of his toughness toward Israel, assuring Arafat at one point, ". . . you should not be concerned that I am biased. I am much more harsh with the Israelis." Arafat, for his part, railed against the Reagan administration and its alleged "betrayals." Rosalynn Carter, taking notes for her husband, interjected, "You don’t have to convince us!" This "elicited gales of laughter all round." Carter himself, according to Brinkley, "agreed that the Reagan administration was not renowned as promise keepers". Douglas Brinkley, The Unfinished Presidency

Carter's assessment of the 1996 elections in the Palestinian Authority? "Democratic", "open", "fair", and "well organized".

Mr Human Rights? Sure, if you happen to live in Marcos’s Philippines, Pinochet’s Chile, or apartheid South Africa. If you live in Communist China, Communist Cuba, Communist Ethiopia, Communist Nicaragua, Communist North Korea - don't expect him to speak up on your behalf. According to an op-ed article he wrote, titled "It’s Wrong to Demonize China" - "Westerners emphasize personal freedoms, while a stable government and a unified nation are paramount to the Chinese. This means that policies are shaped by fear of chaos from unrestrained dissidents or fear of China’s fragmentation by an independent Taiwan or Tibet. The result is excessive punishment of outspoken dissidents and unwarranted domination of Tibetans."

Carter on Yugoslavia’s Tito: "a man who believes in human rights." Carter on Romania’s Ceausescu and himself: "Our goals are the same: to have a just system of economics and politics ... We believe in enhancing human rights." Carter praised Syria’s Assad and Ethiopia's Mengistu. To Haiti's Cédras: he said he was "ashamed of what my country has done to your country." Carter on North Korea's Kim Il Sung: "I find him to be vigorous, intelligent, surprisingly well informed about the technical issues, and in charge of the decisions about this country". On North Korea: "I don’t see that they are an outlaw nation." Pyongyang, he observed, was a "bustling city," where shoppers "pack the department stores," reminding him of the "Wal-Mart in Americus, Georgia."

Of course, he's not enamored with all world leaders. Of our current President he says "I don’t think that George W. Bush has any particular commitment to preservation of the principles of human rights."

Carter on SDI: "A ridiculous project technologically" and "counter to control of nuclear weapons in the world". "It will be a waste of money" and "it’s driven by pressures from manufacturers of weapons and so forth, among others."

Carter on the Kyoto protocol: "I think we should carry it out, fervently."

Carter on drilling in ANWR: It would "destroy" it.

When Ike spoke privately with JFK after the Bay of Pigs, he had some pretty harsh words for him. To the press, he said, "I am all in favor of the United States supporting the man who has to carry the responsibility for foreign affairs". When former President Bush was pressed constantly to comment on President Clinton's term, he refused every opportunity.

Carter has been an embarrassment to the US virtually every time he opens his mouth. He should stick to humanitarian efforts and STFU.

369261[/snapback]

Earlier that day.....

Out of curiosity, what was so embarrassing about Carter?

Pretty much everything he's done since he left office.

Thanks, bro.

BTW, that should be PPP post of the year.

I am not a student of history, so I don't think I can give an informed opinion on the best or worst presidents. I will say most of my admiration is reserved for those who founded our country.

But this talk of Jimmy Carter being a good honest person who got stuck in a bad situation, and how much good he's done as an ex-president, is quite simply, sickening.

Jimmy Carter has been a pain in the backside of each subsequent president - he's the anti-president. His actions in North Korea and Haiti certainly upset Clinton, but his lowest point had to be during the lead-up to the Gulf War, when he wrote to members of the UN Security Council, including France and Communist China, to urge them to thwart President GHW Bush's efforts.

The "miraculous" Camp David accords? Maybe some credit is due. But Sadat and Begin already had a deal worked out before approaching Washington. Their facilitators at the time were the King of Morocco and Ceausescu of Romania, both fine upstanding men with Carter's ear. But all in all, he did pay for the bill, so there is something to be said for that.

"There was no world leader Jimmy Carter was more eager to know than Yasir Arafat." Carter "felt certain affinities with the Palestinian: a tendency toward hyperactivity and a workaholic disposition with unremitting sixteen-hour days, seven days a week, decade after decade."

At their first meeting — in 1990 — Carter boasted of his toughness toward Israel, assuring Arafat at one point, ". . . you should not be concerned that I am biased. I am much more harsh with the Israelis." Arafat, for his part, railed against the Reagan administration and its alleged "betrayals." Rosalynn Carter, taking notes for her husband, interjected, "You don’t have to convince us!" This "elicited gales of laughter all round." Carter himself, according to Brinkley, "agreed that the Reagan administration was not renowned as promise keepers". Douglas Brinkley, The Unfinished Presidency

Carter's assessment of the 1996 elections in the Palestinian Authority? "Democratic", "open", "fair", and "well organized".

Mr Human Rights? Sure, if you happen to live in Marcos’s Philippines, Pinochet’s Chile, or apartheid South Africa. If you live in Communist China, Communist Cuba, Communist Ethiopia, Communist Nicaragua, Communist North Korea - don't expect him to speak up on your behalf. According to an op-ed article he wrote, titled "It’s Wrong to Demonize China" - "Westerners emphasize personal freedoms, while a stable government and a unified nation are paramount to the Chinese. This means that policies are shaped by fear of chaos from unrestrained dissidents or fear of China’s fragmentation by an independent Taiwan or Tibet. The result is excessive punishment of outspoken dissidents and unwarranted domination of Tibetans."

Carter on Yugoslavia’s Tito: "a man who believes in human rights." Carter on Romania’s Ceausescu and himself: "Our goals are the same: to have a just system of economics and politics ... We believe in enhancing human rights." Carter praised Syria’s Assad and Ethiopia's Mengistu. To Haiti's Cédras: he said he was "ashamed of what my country has done to your country." Carter on North Korea's Kim Il Sung: "I find him to be vigorous, intelligent, surprisingly well informed about the technical issues, and in charge of the decisions about this country". On North Korea: "I don’t see that they are an outlaw nation." Pyongyang, he observed, was a "bustling city," where shoppers "pack the department stores," reminding him of the "Wal-Mart in Americus, Georgia."

Of course, he's not enamored with all world leaders. Of our current President he says "I don’t think that George W. Bush has any particular commitment to preservation of the principles of human rights."

Carter on SDI: "A ridiculous project technologically" and "counter to control of nuclear weapons in the world". "It will be a waste of money" and "it’s driven by pressures from manufacturers of weapons and so forth, among others."

When Ike spoke privately with JFK after the Bay of Pigs, he had some pretty harsh words for him. To the press, he said, "I am all in favor of the United States supporting the man who has to carry the responsibility for foreign affairs". When former President Bush was pressed constantly to comment on President Clinton's term, he refused every opportunity.

Carter has been an embarrassment to the US virtually every time he opens his mouth. He should stick to humanitarian efforts and STFU.

369261[/snapback]

Not to mention he ended nuclear fuel reprocessing in the US, which now puts us in the whole Yucca Mountain briarpatch.

Jimmy Carter was yet another treasonous, semi-retarded liberal Democrat. (As if there are any other kinds of liberal Democrat?)

...the thing that comes most immediately to mind is that our country seems on the verge of a total financial collapse, the American dollar is practically valueless,

368320[/snapback]

Yeah, and this happened over the course of the last 5 years. I am amazed at the power of a sitting president to encat policy so quickly that it destroys the economy in a matter of months. W barely had his hand off the Bible being sworn in and people started blaming him for the recession. He has to be the single handed worst presidnet in history, simply because he is running all over the country changing the prices at gas stations. I curse his name every time I go to the pump. I refuse to believe that any other president, or congress for that matter had anything to due with the current circumstances in our country. Hillary, please save us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, and this happened over the course of the last 5 years.  I am amazed at the power of a sitting president to encat policy so quickly that it destroys the economy in a matter of months.  W barely had his hand off the Bible being sworn in and people started blaming him for the recession.  He has to be the single handed worst presidnet in history, simply because he is running all over the country changing the prices at gas stations.  I curse his name every time I go to the pump.  I refuse to believe that any other president, or congress for that matter had anything to due with the current circumstances in our country.  Hillary, please save us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

369668[/snapback]

<_<:P Nice post

369261[/snapback]

Jimmuh was an intellectual who shared the same DNA as Billy.

He was, and still is, a fuggin' disaster. He should keep building houses for the poor and STFU about everything else.

These may be mostly emotional reasons for giving George Bush Jr the nod as the worst president ever

368320[/snapback]

I think that just about sums it up. Thank you.

I always think of Carter as being a "progressive" and the longer this BS goes on, George Bush Jr is the embodiment of the "regressive" thinker.

I love the lefty nomenclature, for the sheer irony. Ask a "progressive" what he's "progressing" to one of these days. They'll answer with their gibberish "code words", usually involving "justice"... "social justice" "economic justice" "environmental justice". What it all really means, though, is global socialism in their "enlightened" vision and the crushing of individual liberty.

All I ask is that you spare me the hypocrisy. If you're an elitist communist who knows better whats good for everyone else than they do, just say so. It's a legitimate (if discredited) political viewpoint that owes more to deep-seated feelings of inadequacy and impotence than any great intellectual calisthenics.

In the meantime, color me proud to be a "regressive" anti-socialist.

Worst:  Gotta be Nixon (I'm no crook).  Funny how the neocons won't name the trickester as the worst ever.

368530[/snapback]

The only thing I really can fault Nixon for is paving the way for Carter.

The only thing I really can thank Carter for is paving the way for Reagan.

I love the lefty nomenclature, for the sheer irony. Ask a "progressive" what he's "progressing" to one of these days. They'll answer with their gibberish "code words", usually involving "justice"... "social justice" "economic justice" "environmental justice". What it all really means, though, is global socialism in their "enlightened" vision and the crushing of individual liberty.

All I ask is that you spare me the hypocrisy. If you're an elitist communist who knows better whats good for everyone else than they do, just say so. It's a legitimate (if discredited) political viewpoint that owes more to deep-seated feelings of inadequacy and impotence than any great intellectual calisthenics.

In the meantime, color me proud to be a "regressive" anti-socialist.

369925[/snapback]

*sniff*

That was wonderful, man.

Yeah, and this happened over the course of the last 5 years.  I am amazed at the power of a sitting president to encat policy so quickly that it destroys the economy in a matter of months.  W barely had his hand off the Bible being sworn in and people started blaming him for the recession.  He has to be the single handed worst presidnet in history, simply because he is running all over the country changing the prices at gas stations.  I curse his name every time I go to the pump.  I refuse to believe that any other president, or congress for that matter had anything to due with the current circumstances in our country.  Hillary, please save us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

369668[/snapback]

<_<:P