HOWARD STERN E! R.I.P.

Buftex

so I take it you are a Tom Leykis fan?

365514[/snapback]

I liked him for a while, too, but after listening to him for an extended period, I realized he's just another on-the-air chucklehead. And that's too bad because I used to really like talk radio.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many of these guys are one trick ponies.  Howard used to reinvent himself on a fairly regular basis but that seemed to stop awhile ago.  Perhaps moving to satellite will reinvigorate him.  We shall see.

365583[/snapback]

You definitely have to give him credit for hitching his pony to satellite radio. Very clever move at just the right time if for no other reason than because so many new cars are having satellite radio installed as standard. Very clever.

Buddy Hackett (RIP) was the funniest comedian I ever saw.  He did not play blue for the shock effect (which is what Howard does).  He did it as part of his routine.  You either love Buddy or you don't.  You either love Howard or you don't.  There is no middle ground here.

365495[/snapback]

They both do it as part of their routine. The difference to me is that Stern does it as a put on, and Hackett did it because he's a miserable prick and just like that. I was just surprised that it was possible that Buddy Hackett could be put off. I do, however, know two things: Buddy Hackett was a hysterical comedian, gut-busting funny and one of the best ever as you say, and he was a total prick. I don't think Howard Stern is. And I am not a Howard Stern fan, I just think he can be funny and he knows what he's doing and it's all a put on because that is his job.

They both do it as part of their routine. The difference to me is that Stern does it as a put on, and Hackett did it because he's a miserable prick and just like that. I was just surprised that it was possible that Buddy Hackett could be put off. I do, however, know two things: Buddy Hackett was a hysterical comedian, gut-busting funny and one of the best ever as you say, and he was a total prick. I don't think Howard Stern is. And I am not a Howard Stern fan, I just think he can be funny and he knows what he's doing and it's all a put on because that is his job.

365598[/snapback]

I actually remember the interview pretty well for some reason (probably because I thought Hackett was dead and was surprised he was on the air), but Hackett was talking about how he listened to Stern and sensed a comraderie/synergy between them...and he was really being very serious when Stern completely turned the conversation to his dick, and then back to himself...again. I seem to remember Hackett saying something like "Is this why you asked me here? For this crap?"

Of course, it could've been a put on.

you sound like a cool guy

365496[/snapback]

I'm sorry, but all the replies to this one is some funny stuff <_< I shouldn't get so defensive when it comes to Stern, but I guess after you've listened/watched for about 15 years you build up some loyalty. I too have definitely noticed some slippage compared to when I first discovered him - I'm hoping satellite turns things around!

I'm sorry, but all the replies to this one is some funny stuff <_<  I shouldn't get so defensive when it comes to Stern, but I guess after you've listened/watched for about 15 years you build up some loyalty.  I too have definitely noticed some slippage compared to when I first discovered him - I'm hoping satellite turns things around!

365793[/snapback]

I hear ya.....HS is the man....his show has picked up steam since he picked up Sal the Stockbroker and Richard Christy.....those two are really coming together.....good stuff!!

In the early to mid 90s (before Private Parts) Howard was funny. I used to listen to him every day. He was crass, yes, but also funny. The show wasn't all about the lowest common denominator. Recently, the show has simply been unlistenable. The routine that used to be sharp and funny, has grown old and stale. I tried to listen and just shut it off. Same with the E! show. Not even worth watching or listening. Only on occasion, since his movie was released, has he had a sharp funny show. I basically stopped listening in the last 4+ years, only on occasion, and then only for a short time.

I actually remember the interview pretty well for some reason (probably because I thought Hackett was dead and was surprised he was on the air), but Hackett was talking about how he listened to Stern and sensed a comraderie/synergy between them...and he was really being very serious when Stern completely turned the conversation to his dick, and then back to himself...again. I seem to remember Hackett saying something like "Is this why you asked me here? For this crap?"

Of course, it could've been a put on.

365610[/snapback]

O.K I'm an idiot. That is the same interview I heard some years ago, but for some reason I thought it was Mel Torme. I remember wanting to hear what BH had to say but Stern kept interupting him every time with his insulting wisecracks.

I'm 17 and my friends and I would never watch something so stupid anymore.  Lets be honest, everyone on that show is a low life, and they do the same thing every show.  Just kick this guy off all together and get on with it.

365886[/snapback]

oh boy......... today's youth are turning into BF clones <_<

I'm 17 and my friends and I would never watch something so stupid anymore.  Lets be honest, everyone on that show is a low life, and they do the same thing every show.  Just kick this guy off all together and get on with it.

365886[/snapback]

you sound like a dork...do you think beer is icky and girls have cooties

you doing anything this weekend? Let's party

365585[/snapback]

No thanks.

You'd probably want to go into some dive, act beligerent, and then call some hookers. and yes... I'm above that. I... actually grew up.

Forgive  me if this is old news, but I just heard on the radio that the E Channel has officialy pulled the plug on the televised version of Howard Stern's show.  The last broadcast will be July 8th.

365055[/snapback]

I dont know an awful lot about Stern- I just tried listening once, didnt find much humor or points of interest....just profanities, and low brow attempts at humor....never checked him out again. My take is that he'd be perfect for what MTV is.

I liked him for a while, too, but after listening to him for an extended period, I realized he's just another on-the-air chucklehead. And that's too bad because I used to really like talk radio.

365580[/snapback]

LA. have you ever listened to Captain Janks calls?

I didn't care so much for the E Show. I am a big fan of the radio show, with Bettlejuice, Hank (RIP), Mark Harris, and the other nuts that appear from time to time.

Check out this link. I don't think the first one works, but this is some of the funniest stuff I for one have ever heard.

Enjoy!Captain Janks