LT Wayne Gandy may be a salary cap casualty

Wiz

Saints QB Brooks backs Gandy's salary cut refusal

By Larry Weisman, USA TODAY

Before the New Orleans Saints put their hand in Wayne Gandy's pocket, they should consider the other pocket; the one that protects quarterback Aaron Brooks from pressure.

Gandy, the left tackle, is under a bit of pressure himself. The Saints front office has let him know it would like him to accept a cut in pay for the coming season, and he has declined.

Thanks to an accelerator in the contract he signed in 2003 when he joined the Saints as a free agent, his base is $5.25 million. Brooks says this about Gandy: "I think the guy deserves every penny of it."

Gandy goes into his 12th season as a pillar on which the Saints can try to build. At 34 he has seen the highs and lows of this league, from being a No. 1 draft pick of the St. Louis Rams in 1995, through four seasons (and two playoff berths) with the Pittsburgh Steelers and two years with the Saints that fell short of postseason opportunity.

When their minicamp ended a little more than a week ago, the Saints gathered at a hotel ballroom in downtown New Orleans for a farewell party, hosted and paid for by Gandy. Yes, the same Gandy who bought pizzas for the team during the voluntary workouts.

"I think that besides being a heck of a football player he does a lot for this team off the field," coach Jim Haslett says.

Haslett has reasons for wanting to keep the veteran. Haslett is in the second to last year of his contract, and the club hasn't made the playoffs since the 2000 season, his first. The personnel department might be on a different timetable.

The Saints drafted Jon Stinchcomb in the second round two years ago as the heir apparent on the left side of the line, but he has played in only 10 games, started in none. He's been on the inactive list 20 times. His strongest appeal might be a salary approximately $5 million lower than Gandy's. The likely starting right tackle this season will be No. 1 pick Jammal Brown. That's just not enough experience for a pair of tackles.

By contrast, Gandy has started 168 games in the last 11 seasons, missing only one start since 1995.

With a retooled offense that will rely more on the run, the Saints seek better balance and improvement in a line that will undergo changes at several positions. Brooks can only hope Gandy remains the fierce protector of his back side.

"Tapping on Wayne's shoulder for a pay cut is not the answer," Brooks says. "That's kind of unfair, in my opinion. I respect him. I look up to him, as a player and as a person."

This was discussed weeks ago somewhere, perhaps on another board. I personally don't mind the idea of using Wayne Gandy as a temporary patch on the line. Obviously, with his age he would not be a long term solution. I'm not sure that he is in the Bills' plans becuase of salry cap issues. If Wayne Gandy won't accept a pay cut to stay in the Big Easy, will he accept one to come to Buffalo? I don't know if TD would pay what he's earning in New Orleans right now.

i doubt the bills get him because i doubt gandy will be cut (saints have denied they made the request and would have a "bills-like" void at LT if they did cut him).......

if you want a vet LT, verba has been cut and would be an excellent addition at the right price.........he's two years younger and in the same class.......

Two Gandys??? Nobody beats a team with two Gandys on their roster .... I smell playoffs already!!

365268[/snapback]

Ah, Gandy Dancers - a term meaning a railroad worker or an itinerent laborer. :blink:

There used to be a bar in State College, PA. (PSU) with that name.

Wayne Gandy's best years are definately behind him yet he still might be a better option then what the Bills have on their current active roster. Looking at his career stats he had his best years in Pittsburgh, two of which were while Mularkey was their OC. So our coaching staff should have first hand knowledge of his strengths/weaknesses to know whether he's worth adding for a year or two until we find a permanate replacement. At the very least if he is cut I say sign him and the worst is he'll be a Gildon type signing.

If this were Strat-O-Matic football, yes sign him. Cause there the players immediatly play at their potential. There's no getting use to the offense and the players around him. I think unless someone absolutley stunning is cut, it's too late to pick up an O-lineman as a starter. Other positions it's easier to bring a guy in at the 11th hour and start him. See L Milloy! You might still sign a guy as a back up, that's fine, but to late for him to jell at the line.

Mike Gandy starts and plays there all year unless he stinks up the joint. If that happens you move Teague to tackle. TD has already stated next years draft is deep at tackle. Then you can pick up your long term solution then.

Why don't we just save the money and see if Mike Gandy can fill the whole. If not then we'll move Teague over there.

Because you seem to be the only one who is sold on that plan. I think thats whats going to happen though.