Defense is built to win now,

I'de say unless we get some young breakthrough stars this year, our defense probably has a 2 year span. I feel our offense needs at least this year, but maybe 2 years to get to where they need to be at. To me it seems like bad planning, but at the same time if Losman ends up being great then we could be looking at advancing far into the playoffs. I think it's a huge risk with Losman, almost like betting all your money in one hand, and this could definitely cost Donahoe his job if Losman doesn't turn out as we are hoping. Let me know if you agree or disagree.

What are you talking about.

I have head that after the OTA's that Parrish will be inducted immediately in the HOF. Eric Moulds is the best receiver ever and it will be obvious now that he has a great QB throwing to him. Evans is happy that Drew is gone, because he never got the ball last year, and we don't need an Oline because JP is so field aware and more nimble than Ron Mexico.

Hell and I just heard that JP promised TD's on the first 2 opening drives.

I'de say unless we get some young breakthrough stars this year, our defense probably has a 2 year span.  I feel our offense needs at least this year, but maybe 2 years to get to where they need to be at.  To me it seems like bad planning, but at the same time if Losman ends up being great then we could be looking at advancing far into the playoffs.  I think it's a huge risk with Losman, almost like betting all your money in one hand, and this could definitely cost Donahoe his job if Losman doesn't turn out as we are hoping.  Let me know if you agree or disagree.

364532[/snapback]

And the alternative was Bledsoe who was a sure thing to lose for years to come.

I'de say unless we get some young breakthrough stars this year, our defense probably has a 2 year span.  I feel our offense needs at least this year, but maybe 2 years to get to where they need to be at.  To me it seems like bad planning, but at the same time if Losman ends up being great then we could be looking at advancing far into the playoffs.  I think it's a huge risk with Losman, almost like betting all your money in one hand, and this could definitely cost Donahoe his job if Losman doesn't turn out as we are hoping.  Let me know if you agree or disagree.

364532[/snapback]

I wouldn't call it poor planning, but rather poor personnel evaluation. We went with Bledsoe, it didn't work out, and now we're starting over with JP. Had the Bledsoe acquisition paid off as "planned", then we'd be talking both sides of the ball being at the same level and presumably multiple playoff appearances, at the least.

364532[/snapback]

Yeah it's all on Losman. Too bad Donahoe never drafted a stud running back to carry the load while Losman is learning the ropes. You know what I'm talking about, a guy with top 5 talent who could rush for 15-20 TDs a season. It's a shame the Bills don't have a RB like that. :D

Please folks, there is no organization under the current NFL salary system that will be able to carry complete Offense/Defense balance over the course of more than a season or two. The Patriots are an exception from the norm, not the rule. And they find ways to put players in the best position to utilize their skills, and not expose their flaws. There's more to this puzzle than just talent. There's chemistry, coaching and luck involved too.

364532[/snapback]

I'm optimistic. What with FA, every team is pretty much in the same boat. Cincy started Palmer, watched him rattle off a 1 and 5 start, but he came around.

They were something like 26 overall in run defense, but they (as several times do) committed the sin of loading up on the LOS facing the likes of BAL's Lewis or PGH's decent run attack. The backs broke thrugh a few times, and went for a nice trot because there was nothing behind the stacked line to do much about it. Tactical error by Marvin Lewis et al, IMO.

My worry about Bflo's def is not overall, but their P.O.S. performance in an end of season game last year. Players and coaching deserve a hard knock there.

Given that today's rules draw a flag if a defender so much as frowns on a receiver, I was surprised that they didn't get Vandy FB Matt Tant into camp.

Hellacious blocker and hands that any wr would envy. An ideal thing for a virtual rookie qb who will likely be desperate for a come-back guy with glue hands. Kinda like having Larry Centers on the squad. - Centers was a BIG part of our previous clubs, under the old rules

Look at Philly's Westbrook last year...

Given that today's rules draw a flag if a defender so much as frowns on a receiver, I was surprised that they didn't get Vandy FB Matt Tant into camp.

Did any team sign him? Oh and I think the POS performance was a result of playing too uptight, while the Steelers were loose since it was a throwaway game (and of course the Steelers took the opposite role when playing the Pats at home in the AFCCG).

Did any team sign him?  Oh and I think the POS performance was a result of playing too uptight, while the Steelers were loose since it was a throwaway game (and of course the Steelers took the opposite role when playing the Pats at home in the AFCCG).

364656[/snapback]

No, I've not seen a signing of Tant. Too bad, I'd take that low cost chance. The scouts prior to the draft were quite complimentary of his hands and his moxie.

I would never expect that cold- fish TD would think for a moment about moxie. If it were his shot to call, I'm certain that the likes of Pike and Tasker etc. would have been not considered. Mere speculation on my part, but I'd guess that the Bill's ST coach is in an uphill battle to retain Wire. Dunno.

For myself, I'll take a team full of players with b*lls and OK raw talent who get with the program over spiffs with great talent and vacant me-me brains who kiss the mirror as soon as they wake up.

If pro players play too uptight in a critical game, shame on them and their management. There are no excuses. I diskike millionaires who fall into a funk worthy of a six-year old... :D

Another way to look at is that it's perfect timing.

Last year, once we got things going, we 'won'. And we did this w/ great ST, near great Dee, & quite poor offense.

Yes, maybe in the near future, our Dee will decline as our major contributors age, but if the Offense can rise above the level of mediocrity by then (entirely reasonable) we should be able to continue to win.

Why is there so much certainty that we can not have an improved offense? SERIOUSLY

Lets put JPL aside for a second........

- The Defense is top 3-5 in the league.....

- We may have had one of the top 3 special teams last year

- We have a back that most are expecting to be a top 5 producer

- We have an excellent veteran WR....and a speedy 2nd option who played very well last year

JUST WHAT IS THE FRIGGEN PROBLEM

You just pointed out the problem perfectly. I'm not saying Losman is a problem, but he is a potential problem. At the same time however he could be a savior. It always starts with the QB and ends with QB. We're only going to go as far as Losman can take us.

You just pointed out the problem perfectly.  I'm not saying Losman is a problem, but he is a potential problem.  At the same time however he could be a savior.  It always starts with the QB and ends with QB.  We're only going to go as far as Losman can take us.

364744[/snapback]

I don't agree. Ben Roethlisberger wasn't the most important part of the steelers last season. They only went as far as their defense and running game could take them, by no means was Big Ben the be all and end all of their season.

We'll only go as far as Mcgahee the defense and st's can take us while we gameplan for our qb not to lose. Some people put too much stock into quaterbacks.

If the defense can stay within the top-5, I think the offense will improve with the additions of Parrish as the 3rd WR and with Losman having mobility to keep opposing defenses on their toes. I also think Willis will be unreal this year, and Lee will continue to develop. Just hope that Euhus and/or Campbell are ready to go from the start of the season!

364532[/snapback]

I brought up this point soon after DB was released. With him on the roster or w/o him, this wouldn't have changed except our starting QB will have had more experience and playoffs were more of an assured possibility.

Yes the offense sucked those first four games of the season and they didn't improve much either but in 2 of those 4 games we had the lead late in the 4th quarter only to see the D give it up and we never recovered.

It always starts with the QB and ends with QB.  We're only going to go as far as Losman can take us.

364744[/snapback]

And I am actually comfortable with that....Let the kid play....I would

rather watch a guy go down fighting rather than see some guy play with

no emotion and then claim that it is still his team.