Athletic article - comments from NFL people on AFC draft classes

8 minutes ago, Mikey152 said:

You can't have it both ways...Mcdermott has been the head coach here for 7 seasons, yet his fingerprints are only on the second half of 2023? Ok. Lest we forget Mcdermott fired his original OC to hire Daboll, but of course BD did everything behind Mcdermott's back, right?

Stop putting words in my mouth please.  I know what I think and say, thank you. 

And sorry, I didn't realize that all of the playoffs prior to last season's were under Brady, or that 13-Seconds occurred under Brady, so please pardon my ignoring of reality there.  

Otherwise, yes, he's been the head coach here for 7 seasons.  Doesn't it stand to reason then that his fingerprints would be all over those seasons and the entirely lackluster performance in our playoffs, particularly on the defensive side?  

What, you're so angry now that you've lost all sense of logic?  

Please, stop this.  

Instead of whining, how about tackling some of the content in my post to oldmanfan?  What, too much thinking for you?  Otherwise, feel free.  

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Thanks for the detailed reply.  My position is pretty simple:  let’s see what happens.

Indeed.  You asked for info, I provided some, that's all.  

Always happy to engage.  

28 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Kincaid was on the field with Trent. 

Trent even got more snaps than Kincaid. 

Maybe we should draft another TE next year and run a 4 TE offense. 

It will definitely be interesting to see what our base alignments are.  

If we really do plan on running with a power-running game more, that will obviously limit the number of WRs on the field.  

There are a lot of curiosities going into this season.  

19 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

My position is pretty simple:  let’s see what happens.

BTW, as is mine.  All I've done is point out the inconsistencies from season to season and between the team's lipservice and reality, as well as the disconnects otherwise.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Oh so just like when we all knew Gabe was gonna walk last season?

Huh?  So your scolding him for taking Kincaid and not reaching for or trading up for a WR?  We took a potentially stud pass catcher and a guard that looks like a future pro bowler with our first two picks to help surround Allen with talent.  Sorry that it wasn’t the position you had hoped for, but Beane had a fine draft

Edited by NewEra

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Huh?  So you’re scolding him for taking Kincaid and not reaching for or trading up for a WR?  We took a potentially stud pass catcher and a guard that looks like a future pro bowler with our first two picks to help surround Allen with talent.  Sorry that it wasn’t the position you had hoped for, but Beane had a fine draft

I didn’t bring up Kincaid. If he continues to get better, he will turn out a fine pick in a vacuum. Same with Torrence. 

The issue is we don’t live in a vacuum. 

The whole reason I believe in emphasis on highly paid and high impact positions in the draft is because you may think you are “set” at WR after 2022 and two years later coming into the draft, we didn’t have a quality boundary WR on the roster. 

The Niners, in a clear cut case, got ahead of that problem. Now, if they end up cutting/trading Deebo outright after a lackluster year, they already have the succession plan in place. And they have a young player they hope will be ready to perform in case he gets hurt again.

The Cowboys did this two years ago. Tyron Smith is a HoF tackle. Has health concerns and is getting up there but a truly elite T in the NFL. They could EASILY make the argument, “we don’t need to draft a tackle, we are fine.” But since LT’s are very important and paid accordingly, they drafted one they liked in the first round. Smith got hurt (again) their new LT played quite well and they didn’t come in the draft NEEDING to take an LT. And they STILL took another one in the first this year. 

The bottom line is that you are one twisted ankle away from Mack Hollins starting in the postseason. Again. Just like we were one twisted ankle from Trent Sherfield starting in the postseason. Again. Just like we were one twisted ankle from Jake Kumerow starting in the postseason. Again. 

At a certain point, that same problem presenting itself over and over and over becomes harder to defend. Despite Kincaid/Torrence looking like a hit as their high picks.

Edited by FireChans

28 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I didn’t bring up Kincaid. If he continues to get better, he will turn out a fine pick in a vacuum. Same with Torrence. 

The issue is we don’t live in a vacuum. 

The whole reason I believe in emphasis on highly paid and high impact positions in the draft is because you may think you are “set” at WR after 2022 and two years later coming into the draft, we didn’t have a quality boundary WR on the roster. 

The Niners, in a clear cut case, got ahead of that problem. Now, if they end up cutting/trading Deebo outright after a lackluster year, they already have the succession plan in place. And they have a young player they hope will be ready to perform in case he gets hurt again.

The Cowboys did this two years ago. Tyron Smith is a HoF tackle. Has health concerns and is getting up there but a truly elite T in the NFL. They could EASILY make the argument, “we don’t need to draft a tackle, we are fine.” But since LT’s are very important and paid accordingly, they drafted one they liked in the first round. Smith got hurt (again) their new LT played quite well and they didn’t come in the draft NEEDING to take an LT. And they STILL took another one in the first this year. 

The bottom line is that you are one twisted ankle away from Mack Hollins starting in the postseason. Again. Just like we were one twisted ankle from Trent Sherfield starting in the postseason. Again. Just like we were one twisted ankle from Jake Kumerow starting in the postseason. Again. 

At a certain point, that same problem presenting itself over and over and over becomes harder to defend. Despite Kincaid/Torrence looking like a hit as their high picks.

So you’re saying the Bills should invest in more robust ankle braces. 😉

• Haha (+1) 1