Fact vs Fiction: "Keon Coleman is not a separator"

15 hours ago, ShakAttack said:

I have to admit, this video is indeed a bit disappointing.  

Especially if you compare it to the same video of Xavier Leggette.

It’s disappointing because Coleman is billed as the “contested catch guy” but if you watch all of Leggette’s targets, he has a higher success rate of coming down with those catches, and seems to be better at just about everything else as well.

For all the buzz about the trade KC, it’s the trade with Carolina that leaves me with more questions.

Do we know for sure that Leggette was not our guy? 

For all those that say we wouldn’t have made the trade if Panthers were coming after our guy, ok, then what is the point of trading up one spot for either team in that case? Why would the Panthers make this trade if they weren’t worried about us taking Leggette??? They could have just had him with the next pick after we drafted Coleman if this was true. 

Not sure I’m convinced we didn’t get screwed.

I think Coleman won the Character game over Leggette and he's 2 yrs younger then him plus he's a menacing blocker . Otherwise Leggette is better all around player in my opinion and has superstar potential. 

• Agree 1

On 4/29/2024 at 11:18 AM, DJB said:

Watch all his targets. He can’t separate. He consistently has a DB all over him unless it’s a coverage breakdown . 

For a guy that is touted as a 50/50 guy he sure doesn’t come down with a lot of balls 

Thank you for sharing that link.  As someone who had no clue who Keon Coleman was, it was great to be able to watch this.

That said, I have a different takeaway than yours.

The first thing that I noticed was how very inconsistent the QB was.  There was all sorts of stuff thrown Keon's way.

The second thing that popped was his body control.  Fluid and strong movement.  Even the way he goes down while being tackled looks quite controlled.  He's still a young man who will grow into his frame.  He also flashes some great YAC in this tape too.

Lastly, he also shows a really good demeanor on the field.  There were a couple DBs on this tape that were clearly trying to get under his skin, but he didn't seem to pay any attention to that.  He seems to put his head down and go about his business.

Oh, and clearly basketball has given him really good hands in certain contested catches.  (One hand grabs.)

All in all, I'm excited!

On 4/28/2024 at 12:00 PM, gonzo1105 said:

He’s going to have to be better at contested catches to win vertically but I believe he will eat in the intermediate middle of the field as a pro and I don’t mean from the slot 

His contested catch rate was lower last year because of the poor QB play from the QB getting hurt and also in how Florida St used him.  Otherwise his catch rate would have been excellent over his college career.  

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah, that QB sprayed the ball all over the place.  Really made me cringe.  Maybe 1 or 2 in 10 was well placed, everything else Coleman had to adjust to, often majorly.  Many times the adjustment was bringing him into the CB.   I did see a number of blanket coverage, but I saw more NFL opens that the QB made not open.    Honestly, I'm still nervous about the pick because separation is very important in NFL.   I feel better after watching, but not convinced he can get open as much as I want vs NFL CBs.

After watching that video, the answer to the OP's question appears to be "Fact: Keon Coleman is not a separator".  He is covered pretty tightly on almost every pass.   Some of it might be due to poor QB play but definitely not all it.  

The more important question is can he become a separator with better coaching. I assume moving from school to school and changing coachng staffs didn't help but sometimes Beane is unduly confident in what the coaching staff can do.

Edited by Billy Claude