The Reliable Mainstream Media vs. The Alternative Scum

On 5/24/2024 at 1:13 PM, BillsFanNC said:

Nothing says rock solid reliability from media quite like censorship..

Liberal conspiracy!

Gannett newspapers (yeah, mainstream media, but of a very weak type) have their own editors, and they can run or kill the Gannett national editorials. And so some didn't run this one. Which no doubt will give it more publicity than if they had run it and the 10 read-every-page subscribers to the Shreveport Shovel had read it.

3 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

How could this happen at an icon of the reliable news industry?

:lol:

49 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Go outside every once and awhile, Spanky. There is a great big world out there for you.

Maybe one of our resident quants can answer this question: how many times has the cult-run money laundering scheme known as the Epoch Times been quoted (unironically) on these pages?

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/chief-financial-officer-multinational-media-company-charged-participating-scheme

The scheme is remarkably crude: buying and selling things like prepaid (stolen) credit cards, turning proceeds into crypto, etc.

A garbage "newspaper" that somehow went from fringe Falun Gong cult rag to one of the most beloved right-wing  go-to sites.

10 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

Reliable!

:lol:

What on earth is he talking about now?

"That's how bad the actual date from the report is (sic)" [data = plural]

Here's the BLS summary itself ... there it is, 272,000 jobs added, unemployment rate "little changed" at 4.0 percent.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

So the mainstream media = correct. Alt Media "Oilfield Rando" = incorrect for characterizing this as somehow being "bad"

27 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

What on earth is he talking about now?

"That's how bad the actual date from the report is (sic)" [data = plural]

Here's the BLS summary itself ... there it is, 272,000 jobs added, unemployment rate "little changed" at 4.0 percent.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

So the mainstream media = correct. Alt Media "Oilfield Rando" = incorrect for characterizing this as somehow being "bad"

I may be mistaken but as of now it looks like none of the “reliable” mainstream media outlets have offered a mea culpa on the laptop/russian disinformation “reporting”. Do you believe they should? 

49 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

I may be mistaken but as of now it looks like none of the “reliable” mainstream media outlets have offered a mea culpa on the laptop/russian disinformation “reporting”. Do you believe they should? 

Yes. If they reported it as such, or if they ran editorial content decrying the laptop as a Russian disinformation campaign. I'm quite sure some did.

But you know who didn't? Politico. That story that one of your boring he-does-go-on-a-bit friends here keeps posting. That story reported the news - 51 former intelligence community people say it bears the hallmarks of Russian disinformation, but Trump campaign types insist it's real. That's what we call accurate reporting; there's nothing to correct or to apologize for.

Just one more time:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/19/hunter-biden-story-russian-disinfo-430276

More than 50 former senior intelligence officials have signed on to a letter outlining their belief that the recent disclosure of emails allegedly belonging to Joe Biden’s son “has all the classic earmarks of a Russian information operation.”

The letter, signed on Monday, centers around a batch of documents released by the New York Post last week that purport to tie the Democratic nominee to his son Hunter’s business dealings. Under the banner headline “Biden Secret E-mails,” the Post reported it was given a copy of Hunter Biden’s laptop hard drive by President Donald Trump’s personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani, who said he got it from a Mac shop owner in Delaware who also alerted the FBI.

While the letter’s signatories presented no new evidence, they said their national security experience had made them “deeply suspicious that the Russian government played a significant role in this case” and cited several elements of the story that suggested the Kremlin’s hand at work.

“If we are right,” they added, “this is Russia trying to influence how Americans vote in this election, and we believe strongly that Americans need to be aware of this.”

Nick Shapiro, a former top aide under CIA director John Brennan, provided POLITICO with the letter on Monday. He noted that “the IC leaders who have signed this letter worked for the past four presidents, including Trump. The real power here however is the number of former, working-level IC officers who want the American people to know that once again the Russians are interfering.”

The former Trump administration officials who signed the letter include Russ Travers, who served as National Counterterrorism Center acting director; Glenn Gerstell, the former NSA general counsel; Rick Ledgett, the former deputy NSA director; Marc Polymeropoulos, a retired CIA senior operations officer; and Cynthia Strand, who served as the CIA’s deputy assistant director for global issues. Former CIA directors or acting directors Brennan, Leon Panetta, Gen. Michael Hayden, John McLaughlin and Michael Morell also signed the letter, along with more than three dozen other intelligence veterans. Several of the former officials on the list have endorsed Biden.

Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe said on Monday that the information on Biden’s laptop “is not part of some Russian disinformation campaign,” though the FBI is reportedly conducting an ongoing investigation into whether Russia was involved.

The New York Times raised questions on Sunday about the rigor of the Post’s reporting process, revealing that several of its reporters had refused to put their name on the Biden stories because they were concerned about the authenticity of the materials. The Post stood by its reporting, saying it was vetted before publication.

Plus: the story is by Natasha Bertrand, who is pretty cute. Leave my Natasha alone, you haters!

52 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

I believe our friend Frank is on record as stating that even he, as Atticus Finchy a mo'fo as you'll ever meet, was surprised by the whole outcome of that. 

Obviously, he wouldn't have access to some/all/any of the sources, technology, manpower, confidential sources, budget, associates of foreign agencies, data mining etc that hundreds and thousands of IC assets would, but like Atticus himself, old Frank can shoot a rabid dog in the street as good as any man.  

I may have gotten off track.  What was the question? 

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I may have gotten off track.  What was the question? 

Don't let Natasha distract you. We are old enough to be her father. Grandfather in certain parts of the country.

I did say the Hunter laptop thing fooled me. It is such a ridiculous story. Yeah, right, guy leaves laptop with incriminating evidence at strip mall computer repair shop, forgets to pick it up, it winds up in the hands of ... Rudy Effin' Giuliani. But as we've seen this week, that's our Hunter. Brother dies, he starts doing brother's widow and also introduces her to the thrill of crack cocaine. Writes a memoir that is essentially a confession to a federal crime. You can't make this up. In my career I've seen plenty of cockamamie schemes, but this one is ... special. Truly special.

Natasha don't need hair extensions, botox, lip fillers, and she don't shoot no dogs for annoying her. She's kind of preppy, kind a a Frankish genteel lawyer's type, albeit when he was a quarter century younger. You can have your Kristi Noem and Megyn Kelly and Hope Hicks.