Happy Dyngus Day!

Wacka

For those who are not familiar with it- The  Polish St. Patrick's Day. Always the day after Easter. Bar crawls on the east side.  The parade today is on Broadway from Memorial to Fillmore and then down Filmrmore to Paderewski at 5:30. Bring your pussywillows!

Edited by Wacka

No we always know when Easter is. It's the day BEFORE Dyngus Day!

Frankie Yankovic is no relation  to Weird Al. Weird Al is probably on of the best accordionists around today.

10 years ago, when I was in rehab recovering from a stroke in California, they had an accordionist come through the nursing home. 

Played Lady of Spain and stuff like that. The he got to my room, I asked him to play Who Stole the Keisha? he gladly did. He was originally from Chicago and we talked about polka bands from Buffalo for about 20 minutes.

What's funny about DD is that it's super regionally based.  I talked about Dyngus Day with a (Polish in ancestry) ex-girlfriend's family, in Syracuse, decades ago, and they looked at me like I was a hydra.  (I probably was a hydra.)  And yet, over the years I've found folks in Cleveland and in other places who embrace this very sacred day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Śmigus-dyngus

Edited by TheCockSportif

22 hours ago, Wacka said:

For those who are not familiar with it- The  Polish St. Patrick's Day. Always the day after Easter. Bar crawls on the east side.  The parade today is on Broadway from Memorial to Fillmore and then down Filmrmore to Paderewski at 5:30. Bring your pussywillows!

I feel like it's the Polish Mardi Gras or what many countries refer to as Carnaval. The rest of the Roman Catholic world feel like they should spend a few days celebrating as they are going to be giving up stuff for 40 days for Lent. We Poles feel like we just gave up stuff for 40 days, time to let loose and celebrate. 

Edited by Steve O

On 4/1/2024 at 3:21 PM, Wacka said:

No we always know when Easter is. It's the day BEFORE Dyngus Day!

Frankie Yankovic is no relation  to Weird Al. Weird Al is probably on of the best accordionists around today.

10 years ago, when I was in rehab recovering from a stroke in California, they had an accordionist come through the nursing home. 

Played Lady of Spain and stuff like that. The he got to my room, I asked him to play Who Stole the Keisha? he gladly did. He was originally from Chicago and we talked about polka bands from Buffalo for about 20 minutes.

So around 1985 Frankie Yankovic was nominated for 'Best Polka Album' at the Grammy's- it was the first and last time 'Polka Album of the Year' was awarded- more of a lifetime achievement award I think, and good for him.  My cousin, who's still an amazing trumpet player, was in a band also nominated for the award. 

Pretty sure they all knew it was a setup for Yankovic to get a Grammy, but they still had a blast in LA.  

My family moved West years before and the bandmates mostly stayed with us.  I remember one day being the tour guide-  we hung out at a beach in Santa Barbara and stopped at the Oxnard Airport on the way back to the house to take a whizz.  

We walk into this small airport and John Travolta had just landed his personal 727 there, and was walking toward us.  

It was pretty random, and those guys must've thought you just run into movie stars everywhere you go in LA haha. 

Whatever it was, it was a blast, and Travolta was absolutely gracious.  

They went to the Grammy's, didn't get the award, but I'm sure have some great memories to carry them through.