What starting spots still need to be filled?

Process

10 hours ago, Wizard said:

Guys I am not comfortable as starters:

Rapp or Edwards (at least 1 safety)

Epenesa (at least 1 DE 

McGovern as Center (stay at LG)

Samuel is a #3/#4 (1 WR)

Backup Help

Competition for Bass

4th or 5th Round DT

Can't cut Martin, so get rid of Haack

Power back so Ty Johnson is #3 in rounds 4-6

Developmental Tackle/Guard 

Depth everywhere

I wasnt happy watching Rapp last season but he played very well starting for the Rams and I fully expect him to pick up his game as a starter this season.  Fully expect a safety or 2 to be drafted this year. 

12 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Biggest need is pass rush, the Rd1 WR fans won't like that though.

I'd breakdown into "starter needed", "should look to improve", "depth needed":

Starters (2): WR-X, DE

Improve (4): LG/C, DT3, FS, RB2

Depth (5): T, IOL, DT, LB, CB.  Highest need is OL depth IMO, then secondary and then DT4

Coincidentally, that's 11 players=11 picks.  I'd be shocked if our first 2 picks aren't DE/WR, in either order.  After that, BPA in the improvement category, I'd think DT3 has slightly higher impact than the others (and RB2 could be a FA post draft)

This might be the first year that Beane trades back (ie: get a 2nd and 3rd).  We might be best off on this path, if we find a trading partner.  Theoretically, could then go:

Rd2: WR-X (tier 2 of guys, which is like a 1st in any other year), DE (tier 2, which would be all we need if Von rebounds)

Rd 3: either Dt or S- I'd prefer a DT, given it's importance in rotation

That would fill out our top needs quite nicely, and balance out the DL/pass rush and WR.  Just hope Edwards/Rapp overachieve, or we hit on a S in Rd4+

Agree with almost everything in this post! Well done!

I would just add late round OTs don't seem to develop. I'd skip OT this year and if they need depth try to find a 4 or 5 year vet on the cheap that can play in a pinch. Next year I'd prioritize OT in the top 3 rounds. 

Lastly I'd add backup QB to the list. Trubisky really sucked last year with Pittsburgh.  I'd be fine taking a day 3 QB and maybe you find a jem to stash on the PS for a year or who might even beat out Trubisky. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Biggest need is pass rush, the Rd1 WR fans won't like that though.

I'd breakdown into "starter needed", "should look to improve", "depth needed":

Starters (2): WR-X, DE

Improve (4): LG/C, DT3, FS, RB2

Depth (5): T, IOL, DT, LB, CB.  Highest need is OL depth IMO, then secondary and then DT4

Coincidentally, that's 11 players=11 picks.  I'd be shocked if our first 2 picks aren't DE/WR, in either order.  After that, BPA in the improvement category, I'd think DT3 has slightly higher impact than the others (and RB2 could be a FA post draft)

This might be the first year that Beane trades back (ie: get a 2nd and 3rd).  We might be best off on this path, if we find a trading partner.  Theoretically, could then go:

Rd2: WR-X (tier 2 of guys, which is like a 1st in any other year), DE (tier 2, which would be all we need if Von rebounds)

Rd 3: either Dt or S- I'd prefer a DT, given it's importance in rotation

That would fill out our top needs quite nicely, and balance out the DL/pass rush and WR.  Just hope Edwards/Rapp overachieve, or we hit on a S in Rd4+

I'd say safety is a bigger starting need than DE. AJE is higher quality player than anyone we have on the roster at safety - we have three backups (Edwards, Rapp and Lewis) and a bottom of the roster player (Hamlin). I think FS and SS are both "starter needed" positions and DE is an improve position.   

Now I take the point totally that defensive end is just a higher value position than safety. That is definitely true. So maybe turning a 6/10 starter at defensive end into a 7/10 starter gives you overall a bigger bump that turning a 4/10 starter at safety into a 7/10 starter. But then you have to look at the strength of the draft too and if you say our two biggest needs are WR and DE and you take the view that they must be addressed with the first two picks then you need to pick defensive end at #28. Because there is not a lot of depth to the class. I basically have it as:

Tier 1:

Turner; Latu; Verse - immediate year 1 impact starters

Tier 2: 

Chop Robinson - boom and bust but impact player ceiling

Tier 3:

Braswell, Trice, Isaac - potential starters but not impact players early

Tier 4:

Elliss, Darius Robinson - developmental players (Elliss because he is raw and Robinson because he hasn't really been a proper edge rusher)

They are the only guys I'd consider drafting on the first two days and there are only a couple of others - Kneeland and Booker I'd take before the end of round 5. Every other EDGE in this class that I have watched is a 6/7/UDFA to me. Point being it isn't a great class.  Only those tier 1 guys and possibly the question mark on Chop would be upgrades on AJE as a rookie IMO. Turner and Verse will be long gone. Latu could slide because of injury history and Chop probably will be there. But if they don't address it at #28 they should pass at #60 IMO. I just don't think the value is there in this class. Get by with Groot, Von, AJE, Toohill and Jonathan in 2024 and hope the opportunity to upgrade is there in 2025. 

To be clear I am not arguing for a defensive end at #28. I am firmly on the WR train (though if Latu falls I'd be tempted). I'm just making the point that I don't necessarily think it is as easy as WR and DE in any order with the first two picks just because those are the two premium positions where we most need help. 

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd say safety is a bigger starting need than DE. AJE is higher quality player than anyone we have on the roster at safety - we have three backups (Edwards, Rapp and Lewis) and a bottom of the roster player (Hamlin). I think FS and SS are both "starter needed" positions and DE is an improve position.   

Now I take the point totally that defensive end is just a higher value position than safety. That is definitely true. So maybe turning a 6/10 starter at defensive end into a 7/10 starter gives you overall a bigger bump that turning a 4/10 starter at safety into a 7/10 starter. But then you have to look at the strength of the draft too and if you say our two biggest needs are WR and DE and you take the view that they must be addressed with the first two picks then you need to pick defensive end at #28. Because there is not a lot of depth to the class. I basically have it as:

Tier 1:

Turner; Latu; Verse - immediate year 1 impact starters

Tier 2: 

Chop Robinson - boom and bust but impact player ceiling

Tier 3:

Braswell, Trice, Isaac - potential starters but not impact players early

Tier 4:

Elliss, Darius Robinson - developmental players (Elliss because he is raw and Robinson because he hasn't really been a proper edge rusher)

They are the only guys I'd consider drafting on the first two days and there are only a couple of others - Kneeland and Booker I'd take before the end of round 5. Every other EDGE in this class that I have watched is a 6/7/UDFA to me. Point being it isn't a great class.  Only those tier 1 guys and possibly the question mark on Chop would be upgrades on AJE as a rookie IMO. Turner and Verse will be long gone. Latu could slide because of injury history and Chop probably will be there. But if they don't address it at #28 they should pass at #60 IMO. I just don't think the value is there in this class. Get by with Groot, Von, AJE, Toohill and Jonathan in 2024 and hope the opportunity to upgrade is there in 2025. 

To be clear I am not arguing for a defensive end at #28. I am firmly on the WR train (though if Latu falls I'd be tempted). I'm just making the point that I don't necessarily think it is as easy as WR and DE in any order with the first two picks just because those are the two premium positions where we most need help. 

Great points, I 100% agree we don't "reach" at 28 if the value isn't there OR at 60.

But to be clear, I think the value will meet the need at both picks.

I have Darius in Tier 2, but I value your opinion.  I think there's more potential with Chop, than Darius, as well.  I see a slight chance Lutu slides to the early-mid 20s.  Beane might wanna trade up if that happens.

Otherwise, I'm in agreement let the board come to you.  I still think we will find a DE and WR, at 28 and 60, or even if we move back, that will be very good players/value will be there.  

Regarding DT/S, much easier to hide a Safety weakness.  Behind Ed and Jones, I like Austin Johnson (if we sign him) but still think we need a pure 3-tech behind Ed that can add some interior push.  I agree on S, we have 2 high end backups and 1 jack of all trades backup (Cam), I was hoping we went a different direction in FA, but confident McD knows what he wants.  I think the Edwards/Rapp combo is just a slight notch below Hyde/Poyer, Hyde lost a massive step and every hit was a huge risk for his neck.  Poyer lost a step, still better than both Rapp/Edwards though but not by a lot.  I think we can get by, especially if we improve at DL/pass rush

Looking at the current roster, all 22 expected starters are legit.  They could all start on other teams.  My concern is that this fact doesn't make this a SB roster.

I worry about the secondary.  It was once anchored by Poyer, Hyde, and White in their primes.  It's not elite anymore.

I think Samuel is a legit replacement for Davis.  But I'm hoping we don't go into 2024 with a wideout group comparable to 2023's.  I want something noticeably, significantly better.   Josh deserves that.  So does the mafia.  

IOL/OL...  When you have a QB as talented as Josh, you want a talented bodyguard upfront to give him time to throw and keep him healthy.  The current OL is okay, but I'd love to see a couple of Pro Bowlers up there.  

Edge.  Considering it's a passing league, if I was a GM these might be the first four positions I'd prioritize: QB, WR, CB, Edge.  If you have a superstar in each of these roles, your odds are pretty good.  Depending on Von's health, we have some decent DEs but we lack a difference-maker.  

RB.  I'm fine with Cook as the starter but a bruising Cookie Gilchrist/King Henry type back for short-yardage situations and light boxes would be an excellent complement.  

From my perspective, we need two starting-caliber safeties and two DT's, a (1) and a (3), that can play 45% of the snaps at a starting DT level. While we are at it, how about a starting-caliber LG.