How does today compare to Black Thursday Feb 10, 2000?

Well 3 HOFs who were at the very tail end vs some very good important players who were needing replacement and helps open the Bills cap for the long term future. The HOFs were decidedly worse because it was pretty callous how it went down regardless of all of them wanting to still play. Love the guys who we just cut but the accomplishments are vastly different here and the window is still very open with Josh. When Reed, Thomas, & Bruce left it was the last gasp of the great decade + of Bills football so it was a very empty feeling in many respects.

Yesterday was expected by comparison, it just finally happen with Morse being the only maybe surprise, but I thought he was toast given his cap, age, and concussion issues. The rest Poyer Hyde White made zero sense to keep outside of sentimentality. Neal is replaceable tenfold and Hardy never made the impact you hoped and also can be replaced cheaper. 

Tre is really the only one I am truly sadden over just because he was tracking for a HOF caliber career and playing with Josh through this next group/window and he/we got robbed to see that which really sucked because he was such a great and fun player who loved Buffalo big time.

• Like (+1) 2

The purge in 2000 killed me! I was young  and Bruce was my favorite player to the point of (I'll follow him if he goes to....) but,then he went to washington (I live in Richmond Virginia) and I was like NOPE! Lol never been a fan of the commanders.  And their fans lol boy they love to trash talk about the old days lol. Yes Andre and Thurman too! Sad day. This year's purge.   ... crazy but,I'm good with it. But I still want weapons  for Josh! 

Edited by 90sTillNOW
Posted back to back by accident

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

Tre is really the only one I am truly sadden over just because he was tracking for a HOF caliber career and playing with Josh through this next group/window and he/we got robbed to see that which really sucked because he was such a great and fun player who loved Buffalo big time.

I hear you, and I really I hope Tre can make a comeback someday, somewhere. 

23 hours ago, Craig Oi said:

Not even comparable, We WILL be a playoff team next year and for years to come with Josh. This is just a blip...nothing more . Bean did a much needed "reset" with the cap and the crazy thing is we aren't worse in the wear for it .Next years cap is so squeaky clean even with some more moves to come. Nail the draft(no easy task ), make a few smart moves...Very happy with the outlook after today...GO Bills!!!!

Don't reach for players.  Let the draft come to you

Don't draft "potential" players and then wait for four years

Draft for Speed...Speed Kills 

That day in 2000 was inevitable since our QBs were so piss poor back then... we weren't going to win like any of them were used to winning. It was just a harbinger for things to come and Bledsoe's one season of solid play was an aberration.

For me the shock of yesterday was minor, it was sad to see Tre and Poyer go but the 2000 purge, as others have mentioned was really hard to stomach. I felt like somebody died that day and the realization that the 90s Bills core were never going to win a Superbowl just seemed so excruciatingly unfair. Felt a  bit like that when Kelly retired as well but we got so close again with that team in the 1999-2000 season, I thought they could get redemption!

On 3/6/2024 at 8:14 PM, Livinginthepast said:

Todays cuts had me thinking about the last time we mass released some beloved veteran players. Although I can safely say that I support today's moves and didnt support the cuts in 2000. Todays moves seem professional and done respectfully but I didn't get that feeling about Bruce, Thurman and Andre's release. That smacked of disrespect and  cheapness.  How do you remember Black Thursday 2000?

https://theathletic.com/2106913/2020/10/01/bills-bruce-smith-thurman-thomas-andre-reed/

It's not even close.  

They were good players for us, but those were 3 HOF players, the all-time sack leader and likely greatest Bill to ever play(Josh may take that eventually).  How is that even a comparison?