NCAA Considering 14 playoff in 2026

On 2/22/2024 at 3:22 PM, Mike in Horseheads said:

So they haven't tried the 12 game playoff yet and now considering 14, seems odd.

The idea of a 14-team College Football Playoff starting in the 2026 season was discussed at CFP meetings in Dallas on Wednesday, just months before the start of the first season with a 12-team playoff.    https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39572477/cfp-officials-discuss-expanding-14-team-playoff-2026

This doesn’t make sense.  14/2 is 7.  

On 2/22/2024 at 3:22 PM, Mike in Horseheads said:

So they haven't tried the 12 game playoff yet and now considering 14, seems odd.

The idea of a 14-team College Football Playoff starting in the 2026 season was discussed at CFP meetings in Dallas on Wednesday, just months before the start of the first season with a 12-team playoff.    https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39572477/cfp-officials-discuss-expanding-14-team-playoff-2026

On 2/22/2024 at 6:50 PM, Poleshifter said:

Greed?

Experiment.  They are a university organization. 

On 3/8/2024 at 8:35 PM, JimBob2232 said:

NCAA is dead...

should have been 6.  Winner of Big10, Pac10, SEC, ACC and PAC12, and highest ranked P5.  2 Byes. 

or if 8...Winner of Big10, Pac10, SEC, ACC and PAC12, and highest ranked P5 and 2 at large bids. 

But now they have gone crazy.

So... just skip the Big XII? 

LOL

• Agree 1

On 2/23/2024 at 5:55 AM, Bill from NYC said:

In a few years it will be 64.

As long as they give the G5 (or how ever any non-power conferences there are these days) a couple seats. If I ran things every conference champ would be in.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

As long as they give the G5 (or how ever any non-power conferences there are these days) a couple seats. If I ran things every conference champ would be in.

I can understand this. I would feel the same way if I didn't care about the quality of the teams.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I can understand this. I would feel the same way if I didn't care about the quality of the teams.

There is that argument. And football is not basketball. But part of the appeal of the NCAA basketball tournaments is every team, all 360+ schools, can become national champion. In football it's only 4 schools that are picked by a committee.

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There is that argument. And football is not basketball. But part of the appeal of the NCAA basketball tournaments is every team, all 360+ schools, can become national champion. In football it's only 4 schools that are picked by a committee.

True enough, however UMass and University of Texas might not be such a big draw or great game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/8/2024 at 9:35 PM, JimBob2232 said:

NCAA is dead...

should have been 6.  Winner of Big10, Pac10, SEC, ACC and PAC12, and highest ranked P5.  2 Byes. 

or if 8...Winner of Big10, Pac10, SEC, ACC and PAC12, and highest ranked P5 and 2 at large bids. 

But now they have gone crazy.

The PAC 10 is now the Pac 2 , so we really only have 4 main conferences now