All Things FETTERMAN

25 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Hope I’m not annoying Frankish by posting this. He seems a little prickly about it all. 

Yes ... incredibly annoyed.

Go ahead and sign a bill saying that lab-grown meat can't be marketed as "meat." That's like the diary lobby forcing Oatmilk to be marketed as "Oat Beverage" or some similar annoying but pointless legislation.

But why ban the process itself? Is there any rationale other than rent-seeking (protectionist) behavior of the American rancher lobby?

I suppose the same guy thinks GMOs are o.k., but lab-grown meat isn't? Why?

(I'm in favor of not stalling innovation in general, whether GMOs or lab-grown meat)

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yes ... incredibly annoyed.

Go ahead and sign a bill saying that lab-grown meat can't be marketed as "meat." That's like the diary lobby forcing Oatmilk to be marketed as "Oat Beverage" or some similar annoying but pointless legislation.

But why ban the process itself? Is there any rationale other than rent-seeking (protectionist) behavior of the American rancher lobby?

I suppose the same guy thinks GMOs are o.k., but lab-grown meat isn't? Why?

(I'm in favor of not stalling innovation in general, whether GMOs or lab-grown meat)

That Charlton Heston movie really stuck with the masses, eh?

But what I'll enjoy most about the conservative drive to ban lab-grown meat: it is the perfect Julie Kelly storm. Tarheel may have to find another conservative lobbyist-right wing commenter to exercise his right hand to.

(and you gotta love the ADM newspeak here: "cultivated meat" "flexitarians" haha)

Her husband: 

http://www.allcirco.com/john-j-kelly-jr

John Kelly is the owner and president of All-Circo, Inc. Established in 1980, All-Circo is one of the most respected and effective public affairs consulting firms in the Midwest. The firm represents more than three dozen clients from Fortune 100 corporations to units of government to non-profit organizations. Notable clients include Archer-Daniels-Midland (ADM)

Her husband's major client:

https://investors.adm.com/news/news-details/2023/ADM-Believer-Meats-to-Bring-Expertise-Together-to-Advance-the-Horizons-of-Cultivated-Meat/default.aspx

ADM (NYSE:ADM), a global leader in sustainable nutrition, and Believer Meats, a leading pioneer of the cultivated meat industry, announced today that they have signed a non-exclusive memorandum of understanding (MOU) to collaborate on new ways to propel the development and commercialization of cultivated meat products.

“With a global population expected to reach 10 billion by 2050, ADM is working with partners across the value chain to meet food security and sustainability needs by expanding the protein ecosystem,” said Leticia Gonçalves, ADM’s president, Global Foods. “Cultivated meat represents an exciting evolution and yet another way to meet long-term food security needs — along with other traditional and novel sources of protein. Seven in 10 consumers are aware of cultivated meat, and with flexitarians representing more than half of consumers globally, there is an important opportunity to continue to expand the universe of protein choices.

2 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Soylent Green Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

I loved that movie when I saw it at the drive-in as a kid!

I watched it again a few years ago ... other than that shock ending, it was really, really boring.

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

But what I'll enjoy most about the conservative drive to ban lab-grown meat: it is the perfect Julie Kelly storm. Tarheel may have to find another conservative lobbyist-right wing commenter to exercise his right hand to.

(and you gotta love the ADM newspeak here: "cultivated meat" "flexitarians" haha)

Her husband: 

http://www.allcirco.com/john-j-kelly-jr

John Kelly is the owner and president of All-Circo, Inc. Established in 1980, All-Circo is one of the most respected and effective public affairs consulting firms in the Midwest. The firm represents more than three dozen clients from Fortune 100 corporations to units of government to non-profit organizations. Notable clients include Archer-Daniels-Midland (ADM)

Her husband's major client:

https://investors.adm.com/news/news-details/2023/ADM-Believer-Meats-to-Bring-Expertise-Together-to-Advance-the-Horizons-of-Cultivated-Meat/default.aspx

ADM (NYSE:ADM), a global leader in sustainable nutrition, and Believer Meats, a leading pioneer of the cultivated meat industry, announced today that they have signed a non-exclusive memorandum of understanding (MOU) to collaborate on new ways to propel the development and commercialization of cultivated meat products.

“With a global population expected to reach 10 billion by 2050, ADM is working with partners across the value chain to meet food security and sustainability needs by expanding the protein ecosystem,” said Leticia Gonçalves, ADM’s president, Global Foods. “Cultivated meat represents an exciting evolution and yet another way to meet long-term food security needs — along with other traditional and novel sources of protein. Seven in 10 consumers are aware of cultivated meat, and with flexitarians representing more than half of consumers globally, there is an important opportunity to continue to expand the universe of protein choices.

I loved that movie when I saw it at the drive-in as a kid!

I watched it again a few years ago ... other than that shock ending, it was really, really boring.

The “progessives” trying to push this could do as all a favor and just stylize it as “meat” or meat*. It’s certainly not meat. The next thing you know they will be telling us men are women and vice versa. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JDHillFan said:

The “progessives” trying to push this could do as all a favor and just stylize it as “meat” or meat*. It’s certainly not meat. The next thing you know they will be telling us men are women and vice versa. 

Haha. 

(note that as the top lobbyist for ADM, no doubt Mr. Kelly wrote some of that press release himself)

But why isn't it "meat?"

Let's say a DNA test says, yeah, that's beef all right, indistinguishable from that of a steer.

Isn't that what your "what is a woman test" would require? Is this human being genetically a woman?

Hoist by your own linguistic petard.

Seriously, this does piss me off, the stifling of innovation based on some kind of "but it's just not natural!" silliness.

Let's say labs get really good at growing human organs. A human replacement kidney, or liver, or heart. With genetic modifications that make rejection a whole lot less likely. We're seeing that with the genetically modified pig kidneys now. It's a great development!

So Ron DeSantis says, Yeah, great, that's wonderful! My wife's liver is failing, grow her one of those replacements right now!

But don't you dare grow pig meat that I can roast for dinner tomorrow. That would be wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Haha. 

(note that as the top lobbyist for ADM, no doubt Mr. Kelly wrote some of that press release himself)

But why isn't it "meat?"

Let's say a DNA test says, yeah, that's beef all right, indistinguishable from that of a steer.

Isn't that what your "what is a woman test" would require? Is this human being genetically a woman?

Hoist by your own linguistic petard.

Yes. You surely got me there. Can’t believe I couldn’t reconcile lab grown “meat/meat*” with knowing what a woman is. Very well done (can lab grown “meat” be cooked well done?) on your part. Keep in mind that I am not a biologist so your “gotcha” is probably not as good as I am making it sound. 

15 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Yes. You surely got me there. Can’t believe I couldn’t reconcile lab grown “meat/meat*” with knowing what a woman is. Very well done (can lab grown “meat” be cooked well done?) on your part. Keep in mind that I am not a biologist so your “gotcha” is probably not as good as I am making it sound. 

A little philosophy is in order.

The great philosopher Wittgenstein tells a story. He's walking around Cambridge, as usual deep in his own thoughts. He sees a sign in front of a theater advertising some kind of performance. It says, "Dead" Man Speaks.

Now this really gets him thinking. What does the theater mean by this? Surely it doesn't mean that they're rolling in a casket and the corpse sits up and starts conversing. No. But here's what's weird about it: Wittgenstein doesn't dismiss this as some kind of linguistic nonsense. No. He has a sense of what it does mean. Maybe it's someone who had one of those life-after-death-and-then-revived experiences. Maybe it's someone who was missing and declared dead. In context, it wasn't nonsense. Indeed, it made ... sense.

What is a woman? What is meat?

Context, my friend, context.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_Investigations

Edited by The Frankish Reich

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

A little philosophy is in order.

The great philosopher Wittgenstein tells a story. He's walking around Cambridge, as usual deep in his own thoughts. He sees a sign in front of a theater advertising some kind of performance. It says, "Dead Man Speaks."

Now this really gets him thinking. What does the theater mean by this? Surely it doesn't mean that they're rolling in a casket and the corpse sits up and starts conversing. No. But here's what's weird about it: Wittgenstein doesn't dismiss this as some kind of linguistic nonsense. No. He has a sense of what it does mean. Maybe it's someone who had one of those life-after-death-and-then-revived experiences. Maybe it's someone who was missing and declared dead. In context, it wasn't nonsense. Indeed, it made ... sense.

What is a woman? What is meat?

Context, my friend, context.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_Investigations

I’m not a philosopher either so now your gotcha is really devalued. 

Please keep us posted on your future enjoyment of “meat”/meat*. And if you run into any trouble figuring out what a woman is, ask any average person you see. They don’t even need to be biologists. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JDHillFan said:

I’m not a philosopher either so now your gotcha is really devalued. 

Please keep us posted on your future enjoyment of “meat”/meat*. And if you run into any trouble figuring out what a woman is, ask any average person you see. They don’t even need to be biologists. 

Neither a Platonic essentialist nor a Wittgensteinian I see.

More of a Harveyist. Steve Harvey, that is. Family Feud School of Philosophy. Survey says ...?

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Wacka said:

Fetterman-an example that people can recover from the  mental damage caused by a stroke.

He might be the only documented case of improved brain function after a stroke. 

• Agree 1