help me diagnose a car problem

UB2SF

I don't think so, but I'm not sure.  Based upon your question, I just went out to the parking lot here at work and fired up the car.  No whistling noise!  I'm wondering if it's truly a matter of temperature -- it's a warm day here in Northern California, and the temperature under the hood of my black car is pretty high, even with the engine off.

Another clue?  Or perhaps just more confusion?

I gotta find time to bring the car into the shop.  <_<

357395[/snapback]

I was referring to engine operatring temperature (210 deg F+), not ambient temperature.

And how could this be happening to a Japanese car in the first place? :blink:

It all depends on what kind of a car it is.  If a timing belt does go it's not good but it doesn't destroy all cars engines.

357121[/snapback]

If it is an Infiniti... It is a Nissan, almost all Nissan's utilize interference engines. If it is the timing belt and it goes, most likely you can encounter valve damage?

Most of the time there WILL BE more engine damage than just the timing belt crapping out!

Probably not a chain? Might not be plastic either?

Is it a whistling chirping noise for sure?.. Or is the oscillating a thumping noise? Sometimes a thumping noise can be caused by the diaphram in the EVAP canister (if the car utilizes one)?

If you do do the timing belt... 75-100k is recommended... Change the water pump also... While they are in there it won't be a problem and they almost always go if you don't change it. Most of the labor is getting to the front of the engine, through all the crap... The pump is under 100 bucks and makes sense to change it while they are in there!

Wow, $100,  I just had mine done for $60

357895[/snapback]

Holy crap you guys, it's a serpentine belt, not a flux capacitor. I bought a cross-cut one a couple weeks ago for about $25 - it takes one wrench and about 10 minutes to swap it out.

Holy crap you guys, it's a serpentine belt, not a flux capacitor. I bought a cross-cut one a couple weeks ago for about $25 - it takes one wrench and about 10 minutes to swap it out.

357954[/snapback]

Depends on how hard it is to get to... What kinda of stuff is packed around the alt. belt and the tensioner pulley.

I guess if the belt goes for 30-50 bucks... under a 100 or so doesn't sound too unreasonable???