help me diagnose a car problem

UB2SF

My 1995 car, with about 98,000 miles on it, has begun making a noise every time I start it, and I need some troubleshooting assistance. The noise is a whistling / chirping kind of noise, that oscillates rapidly. Once the car warms up, after just a few minutes, the noise stops. Is it a belt problem? Something else? I want to sell the car soon to make way for a brand-new one, so I'm also wondering how serious the problem is and whether I need to get the problem fixed before I sell the car.

My 1995 car, with about 98,000 miles on it, has begun making a noise every time I start it, and I need some troubleshooting assistance.  The noise is a whistling / chirping kind of noise, that oscillates rapidly.  Once the car warms up, after just a few minutes, the noise stops.  Is it a belt problem?  Something else?  I want to sell the car soon to make way for a brand-new one, so I'm also wondering how serious the problem is and whether I need to get the problem fixed before I sell the car.

357054[/snapback]

My guess would be the serpentine belt, but there are probably more people on this board better qualified than me to answer that one.

I'm not an auto mechanic at all and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night either.

My 1995 car, with about 98,000 miles on it, has begun making a noise every time I start it, and I need some troubleshooting assistance.  The noise is a whistling / chirping kind of noise, that oscillates rapidly.  Once the car warms up, after just a few minutes, the noise stops.  Is it a belt problem?  Something else?  I want to sell the car soon to make way for a brand-new one, so I'm also wondering how serious the problem is and whether I need to get the problem fixed before I sell the car.

357054[/snapback]

Well, i'm no auto expert, and i didnt stay at a holiday inn last night, but i have seen this problem 2 times with a vehicle i had...in my case it was a kind of squealing whistling type of noise...it was my water pump that needed replacing...seal was blown and it was leaking fluid onto the belt and making it squeal...when it would heat up the fluid would burn off and the squealing would stop...

the other time it was a cracked serpentine belt, but when i had that, the noise was continuous...

I just had this problem fixed with my daughter's jeep. We had to have the timing belt adjusted. We had a brand new serpentine belt so I knew it wasn't that. The timing belt causes a loud squeeking or squeeling noise when you first start it up.

Just another option.

357054[/snapback]

What is the make and model?

What is the make and model?

357067[/snapback]

It's an Infiniti G20, automatic transmission.

Thanks for all the advice so far, folks. Fortunately, I have a mechanic I trust, so I guess I'll make an appointment to see him. Keep the advice coming!

It's a belt - don't wait to get it fixed because if it's timing it can seriously screwup your engine if you're revving when it goes.

357066[/snapback]

It all depends on what kind of a car it is. If a timing belt does go it's not good but it doesn't destroy all cars engines.

It's an Infiniti G20, automatic transmission.

Thanks for all the advice so far, folks.  Fortunately, I have a mechanic I trust, so I guess I'll make an appointment to see him.  Keep the advice coming!

357100[/snapback]

The accessory drive belt is the first thing to look at - as well as checking to see if some of the bolts holding the various pulley wheels, alternator pivot bolt, etc., haven't loosened up or backed out a bit.

Possibly, something connected with the cold start system that has a problem, but it goes away after operation temperature is attained so it then falls out of the engine management loop.

Check your power steering fluid level - not a bad idea to get a syringe or a tube and suck out some of the used stuff from time to time and fill to marked level (be sure to use the specified replacement fluid and folllow the manual's check level-hot and check level-cold instructions).

Does the sound rise and fall with throttle position?

My 1995 car, with about 98,000 miles on it, has begun making a noise every time I start it, and I need some troubleshooting assistance.  The noise is a whistling / chirping kind of noise, that oscillates rapidly.

357054[/snapback]

My girlfriend's car had the same problem. You have to take the Nine Inch Nails cd out of the stereo and promptly smash it to pieces.

357054[/snapback]

Back it up to the computer, let me take a listen ;)

Does the sound rise and fall with throttle position?

357124[/snapback]

I don't think so, but I'm not sure. Based upon your question, I just went out to the parking lot here at work and fired up the car. No whistling noise! I'm wondering if it's truly a matter of temperature -- it's a warm day here in Northern California, and the temperature under the hood of my black car is pretty high, even with the engine off.

Another clue? Or perhaps just more confusion?

I gotta find time to bring the car into the shop. :blink:

I gotta find time to bring the car into the shop.  :blink:

357395[/snapback]

please do...we need to see who was right <_<, but make sure you wait a day or so, so i can run to the store... because between the holloway girl case, and now the jacko trial verdict, my hot pockets are almost gone!