Is Smiley safe??

JMM

Not sure where Marv gets 1/3 of the game.  Snap counts for Teams in 2023 were about 17% - 1/6 of the game.  We have Bass, Martin, Ferguson, Gilliam, Matakevich & Neal as core special teamers, Spector and Hamlin played more snaps on teams than on O or D - everyone else played meaningful snaps on either O or D.

• Thank you (+1) 1

With the Bills already starting the OC search it tells me they have already likely conducted their review on the coaching staff. This would signal to me that Smiley is probably not being let go.  Hoping I'm reading that wrong...just a gut feeling especially after McDermott's words about him at the Locker Clean out day presser.

Though if they were to make a move (Panthers jokes aside) Tabor has been a pretty well thought of ST coach for a bit now. 

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it looks like he is safe. I don't know about this one, I fully expected him to be fired, they were just terrible last season. Very risky decision by McDermott. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/26/2024 at 8:23 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

With the Bills already starting the OC search it tells me they have already likely conducted their review on the coaching staff. This would signal to me that Smiley is probably not being let go.  Hoping I'm reading that wrong...just a gut feeling especially after McDermott's words about him at the Locker Clean out day presser.

Though if they were to make a move (Panthers jokes aside) Tabor has been a pretty well thought of ST coach for a bit now. 

I think this is a new HC wanting his own guy. He would be a decent Get if we made a move.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JMM said:

Well, it looks like he is safe. I don't know about this one, I fully expected him to be fired, they were just terrible last season. Very risky decision by McDermott. 

Not risky at all, now McDermott has someone to blame next year.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I for one hope not ! He didn't make that part of the team look good in most any way and i feel they went backwards from the previous season . Moving forward i hope they get another ST's coach because that is definitely the weak link on this team & it takes all 3 phases on a team to be SB worthy .

On 1/25/2024 at 5:30 PM, GunnerBill said:

The Bills are not a quick fire team on this stuff. 

I think this is true.  I believe That the BB have consideration of the family situation, kids in school and other human element issues.  

But I wonder if the delay in the ST Coach "stepping away" or "mutual separation" is not impeding his ability to find a position he would prefer elsewhere?

On 2/10/2024 at 11:41 AM, T master said:

I for one hope not ! He didn't make that part of the team look good in most any way and i feel they went backwards from the previous season . Moving forward i hope they get another ST's coach because that is definitely the weak link on this team & it takes all 3 phases on a team to be SB worthy .

Special teams and defensive line.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.