Thread for roster gymnasts & CAPologists: how do we make this team BETTER in the offseason?

5 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I’d def support bringing those guys back at a fair price, DaQuan before Epenesa if we had to choose.  I envision Gabe gone to FA, Hyde to retirement, Poyer a potential cut, and Tre White either a restructure or cut if they can’t work something out.  If Morse is gone too, slide Bates into C and get depth via FA or mid-to-late round pick.  Up in the air if we should resign Rapp.

Oliver is our only DT currently under contract. I don't think it's wise for us to have 4 brand new DTs on the roster. We're definitely drafting 1 or 2. The same principle generally applies to DE. Only Groot and Von. Epenesa is homegrown talent. It'd be nice to have him back.

Gabe's gone. I'd put money on that.

Hyde will very likely retire. That's a big void we need to figure out. I'm genuinely curious if Tre can come back healthy and we can slide him, Benford or Douglas to free safety. I think that would be the smartest use of resources.

Morse is back. He said he wants to be. Josh loves him. The team loves him. If anything I could see him getting a 1 year extension to lower his Cap hit.

I think Rapp is back. He didn't play himself into a lucrative contract anywhere else.

I don’t know how much he will command, or how we will fit him under the cap, but we have to find a way to re-sign D. Jones. He was the most important player on defense this year and he wants to stay in Buffalo. Please find a way to make it happen Beane!

I would rather that than try to get middle of the road WR free agents. Go youth there.

2 hours ago, DapperCam said:

I don’t know how much he will command, or how we will fit him under the cap, but we have to find a way to re-sign D. Jones. He was the most important player on defense this year and he wants to stay in Buffalo. Please find a way to make it happen Beane!

I would rather that than try to get middle of the road WR free agents. Go youth there.

Jones is very important to resign. Beane loves his 1 year contracts that he can get out from under if the player doesn’t live up to expectations.  Jones did and deserves a long term deal.

Will it happen? I’m no capologist, but gonna be tough keeping the core of this team intact and surrounding them with talent good enough to go further.

Extend Dawkins

Extend Brown

Extend Bernard

Extend Benford

Extend Shakir

Extend Ty Johnson

cut-Hardy

Bass

restructure Hines

resign Da Quan

sign Mike Evans

sign Safety

sign power RB than can pass protect and catch

draft 

Cooper DeJean S

WR, WR, DT, DE, CB, K

OL not only returns intact, so does Edwards, Bates, and Vandermark

20 hours ago, khlax3 said:

This was only focused on offense. There are plenty of ways to save money on defense to get us below the cap and have money to sign guys as well. We would also have 6 draft picks including a 1st, 2nd, and 4th in this scenario all dedicated to the defense.

Cutting poyer, extending Johnson and Douglas, pay cut or cut for white and you are saving over 20 million with those moves alone. More saving could be had from Neal. There are plenty of ways to save money. 

The problem with everyone's suggestion to cut players to save CAP space, what are your suggestions for replacements.

If we cut Poyer we will have lost both of our starting Safeties.  How do you suggest we replace BOTH of those starting positions next year?

If we do cut Poyer, I believe we would wind up bringing Rapp back to replace him.  He'd be relatively cheap.  That said, I'd rather have Poyer back.  Even though he's obviously aging, he actually played well in the 2nd half of the season and played a huge role moving down to that coverage LB position.

I wonder if Tre would be open to moving over to Free Safety and restructuring a deal that pays him more like a FS than a top NFL corner.

@khlax3 & @BillsFanForever19 the team currently has 9 draft picks, but will have 10 when the draft comes around because we will be awarded with a 3rd round draft pick after losing Edmunds.

10 hours ago, Pete said:

Extend Dawkins

Extend Brown

Extend Bernard

Extend Benford

Extend Shakir

Extend Ty Johnson

cut-Hardy

Bass

restructure Hines

resign Da Quan

sign Mike Evans

sign Safety

sign power RB than can pass protect and catch

draft 

Cooper DeJean S

WR, WR, DT, DE, CB, K

OL not only returns intact, so does Edwards, Bates, and Vandermark

NFL teams can't extend players on rookie contracts until the last day of their 3rd season.  We can't extend Shakir, Benford or Bernard until after NEXT season.

Also, cutting Bass would bring a very large dead CAP hit after this year.

I believe we will likely extend Brown this offseason, but that's just going to add to our CAP.

• Like (+1) 1

Bolded are guys I could see getting resigned for the right deal.  Most of these should be cheap with the exception of Daquan.  Would also like Floyd and Epenesa back but doubt that will happen.

QB Kyle Allen

WR Gabe Davis

LB Tyrel Dodson

DE A.J. Epenesa

LB Leonard Floyd

DE Poona Ford

RB Damien Harris

S Micah Hyde

CB Dane Jackson

DT DaQuan Jones

DT Linval Joseph

CB Cam Lewis

DE Shaq Lawson

LB Tyler Matakevich

RB Latavius Murray

DE Jordan Phillips

S Taylor Rapp

DT Tim Settle

WR Trent Sherfield

11 hours ago, Pete said:

Extend Bernard

Extend Benford

Extend Shakir

you cant extend a guy until he plays three years.

Edited by Matt_In_NH

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.