‘Beau Fleuve’? (Buffalo) A beautiful river -History of the Buffalo Bills

Chandler#81

I’m so old, (How Old are you Chandler?) I’ve lived through every minute of the Bills history!

All links work and tell the history of our current 4X AFCE Champion Buffalo Bills.
Enjoy!

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Chandler#81 changed the title to ‘Beau Fleuve’? (Buffalo) A beautiful river -History of the Buffalo Bills

The last 2 links are from the 35th anniversary VHS tape that came out in 94. I still have it. I also have the 50th year DVD. That was really good but ends with the Bills signing TO as if that was going to be the turning point of the franchise 

Thanks for this walk down memory lane.

One quibble: The city of Buffalo's name apparently doesn't derive from "le beau fleuve."

Years ago I read a speech given to the Buffalo Historical Society in the 1880s or '90s by Grover Cleveland. In preparation for the speech he talked to people who had known some of Buffalo's earliest settlers. They said that the name came from an old Indian who lived near the river. The hair on his head reminded some of Buffalo hair so he was called "Buffalo man." Eventually the area around his home came to be referred to as "Buffalo."  That's Grover's story and he's sticking to it.

Go Bills!

12 hours ago, Old Coot said:

Thanks for this walk down memory lane.

One quibble: The city of Buffalo's name apparently doesn't derive from "le beau fleuve."

Years ago I read a speech given to the Buffalo Historical Society in the 1880s or '90s by Grover Cleveland. In preparation for the speech he talked to people who had known some of Buffalo's earliest settlers. They said that the name came from an old Indian who lived near the river. The hair on his head reminded some of Buffalo hair so he was called "Buffalo man." Eventually the area around his home came to be referred to as "Buffalo."  That's Grover's story and he's sticking to it.

Go Bills!

Good tale. I’m not sure anybody knows for sure though the area is fertile for growing and significant water transportation. As for Grover, yeah, dead guys have a way of sticking to their beliefs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.