Sabres Tidbit in Buccigross column...

Ramius

Theres a good column by john buccigross on espn.com talking about how this could be a really exciting summer for hockey once it gets back into the swing of things...there was this to say about the sabres in the mailbag section...

"John,

Is there any way possible we can get the old blue and white or blue and gold jerseys back for the Sabres, the new white and black jerseys just stink.

George

Buffalo, N.Y.

George, I made the plea here last year. The Blue and Yellows must be brought back in the style of Modo. Then the Sabres should go to Peter Forsberg and say, "Peter, we want to establish a relationship with you and your rink in Sweden. We'll contribute money to your local rink and local hockey programs and you come play with us next season. With a salary cap in place, the Avalanche's payroll will be too big. We'll put you on a line with Thomas Vanek and Miroslav Satan and you can play with Drury on the power play and relive some of that Avalanche magic you two had in Colorado. Second line: Drury-Paul Kariya-Rem Murray; third line: Jason Allison-Pyatt-Kotalik; fourth line: Briere-Hecht-Afinogenov. Allison can be had cheaply with an incentive-laden contract. Kariya can also be had at a decent price and the small-market atmosphere would be perfect for him."

I would wet myself is the Sabres switched back to the blue and gold and we fielded this team...

altho hockey left us for a while, its in my blood, so i'll definitely be back...reading this column got me excited again :(

George, I made the plea here last year. The Blue and Yellows must be brought back in the style of Modo.

355154[/snapback]

What does he mean "in the style of MODO?" The Modo jerseys are red and green and look like a NASCAR racer!

http://www.modohockey.se/bilder/shop/stora/311.jpg

PTR

The guy brings up a serious point. With the implementation of a salary cap, those teams, like the Avs, are going to be shredding their roster. Players will be more affordable than they have been in the past, and should be easier to sign. A very interesting dynamic will be in place when the NHL resumes.

Foresburg already said he'd be back with the Av's. Allison is coming off a injury and hasn't played in about 2 yrs. I think the Kings still want him too. Kyria would not even give BUF a look. Face it Bucci, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but these guys will not come to the Sabres.

On the other hand, I like them resurrecting the Blue and Gold. But they have to update it for a more modern look. Don't just go back to them. The old BLUE away jerseys were ugly as hell!!

I like the old home jerseys but the road blues were ugly. I like the red alternate jersey much better than the "Satanic Goat" too.

The Sabres will have a young exciting team if they just get all of their players back. If with the lower cap, we are able to bring in a few star or semi-star players, the Sabres could have a surprisingly good team and will be fun to watch.

I wonder what the layoff will do to some of the players who chose to not play anywhere last year. Marty Biron comes to mind. Will they be able to get back in top shape?

I also wonder how the draft lottery would work this year. It would be sweet to get Sidney Crosby.

It's a shame he listed Taylor Quiet in those line combinations.

As for the draft lottery, I saw a proposal a few weeks back that said each team would get 4 balls. If they made the playoffs in the last 4 seasons, one ball would be taken away. Another would be taken away for having the #1 overall pick in the past four years. There were other conditions, but I forget. I'll try to dig up the link. Anyway, in this system, the Rangers would've been one of a few teams with the best shot at the #1 pick (it'll be rigged to get Crosby in NY). The sabres would've had 3 balls.

It's a shame he listed Taylor Quiet in those line combinations.

As for the draft lottery, I saw a proposal a few weeks back that said each team would get 4 balls.  If they made the playoffs in the last 4 seasons, one ball would be taken away.  Another would be taken away for having the #1 overall pick in the past four years.  There were other conditions, but I forget.  I'll try to dig up the link.  Anyway, in this system, the Rangers would've been one of a few teams with the best shot at the #1 pick (it'll be rigged to get Crosby in NY).  The sabres would've had 3 balls.

355272[/snapback]

I too, love the Sabres. But this group doesn't have ANY balls. :(

Crosby will end up in New York, Chicago, LA or Detroit. You can count on that. It'll be Patrick Ewing to the Knicks all over again. :doh:

355377[/snapback]

If Detroit won the draft lottery, you'd know its rigged. In any weighted system, they would have to be one of the biggest longshots.

He won't end up in Chicago. That organization is a joke and they would never intentionally put a Crosby in that owner's hands (I forget his name).