INSANE: Going to have a Texas v Oklahoma State Big XII Championship

ArdmoreRyno

I walked out of Boone Pickens Stadium after losing 33-7 to FREAKING SOUTH ALABAMA thinking... "We're going 2-10. No way we win another game." I'd have bet $100,000 on it.

Fast forward 7 weeks? 

Unless we totally f'up, we are going back to Arlington to (likely) play Texas for the Big XII title... a team we've beat 9 of the past 13 games in the series. 

CRAZY season.

• Like (+1) 1

Great win. Everybody knows about your RB but you guys have a really physical WR I liked as well. As far as South Alabama, they’re actually a sneaky good team. They have played completely unmotivated at times, but when focused they’re at a power 5 level. Great job by Gundy this year. I’m going to miss Bedlam. 

Edited by Mikie2times

2 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I walked out of Boone Pickens Stadium after losing 33-7 to FREAKING SOUTH ALABAMA thinking... "We're going 2-10. No way we win another game." I'd have bet $100,000 on it.

Fast forward 7 weeks? 

Unless we totally f'up, we are going back to Arlington to (likely) play Texas for the Big XII title... a team we've beat 9 of the past 13 games in the series. 

CRAZY season.

Be careful with UCF, they gave us hell. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2023 at 10:48 PM, ArdmoreRyno said:

Fast forward 7 weeks? 

CRAZY season.

Does OSU have any reasonable chance to beat Texas?

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Does OSU have any reasonable chance to beat Texas?

It's definitely possible. I don't expect us to win, but it's all gravy at this point. We were expected to finish 7th in the conference... we've finished 2nd at worst. Our win over/under was 6.5, we blew that out of the water. 

Why it's "possible"... 

1. Texas barely beat TCU, who is a BAD football team, at full strength. They had Brooks, they had Ewers, they had Worthy... and they won by 3. Texas built a big lead in that game and TCU almost came back to win. Now Brooks out OUT and Worthy won't be 100%. They also have two other starters listed as 'questionable'. 

2.  Texas barely beat a Iowa State (was a 7 point game in the 4th quarter) and barely beat Kansas State (in OT). They also lost to OU (who OSU beat). I say all that because people seem to overlook their bad games where they barely won (or lost) and only their good games (Bama in week 2 for example). 

3. Texas has faced one back as good as Gordon, allowed almost 100 yards to him and 5.0 yards a pop (even though they did win the game by half-a-hundred at home, against Tech). Texas defensive line is their star... so it'll be strength vs strength on Saturday. Ollie always starts SLOW but gets stronger as the game goes. He will have like 28 yards at half and finish with 180 for the game. Last week he had FIVE touchdowns in the 2nd half.

4. Ollie Gordon III. Dude is a stud. Period. He's had one bad game, that was in horrible playing conditions at UCF when it was practically a monsoon and we had to play from behind the entire game. If he and Bowman had started the whole year, Ollie would have 2,000 yards rushing and OSU is probably 10-2 or 11-1. 

5. Oklahoma State has had Texas' number. No matter how good or bad Texas has been per said year, OSU finds a way to win. To me, this is HUGE. KNOWING you can win, expecting to win... like OU has that mental edge over OSU... the Pokes are that way with Texas. Is Texas better? 100% better, but OSU has beat Texas NINE times the past 13 seasons, 7-3 the last 10 years including the past 2 games in the series. 

6. Playing conditions: OSU has been terrible in bad weather. At Central Florida, we drove down the field over and over only to turn the ball over (4 times). We couldn't throw, couldn't catch which allowed UCF to just key on the run...  and next thing you know, it's 24-0 at half. Same thing against Iowa State and same thing last week against BYU (even though we came back from being down 24-6). Alan Bowman in wet conditions has averaged 274.6 yards, 2 TDs and 7 INTs (55.7%). In good conditions, he's averaged 292 yards, 8 TDs and 2 INTs (63%). 

7. Big XII championship game is a crapshoot. OSU was the CLEAR cut better team in 2021... already beat the crap out of Baylor once that year, then lost by an 1" in the Big XII title game. In 2022, TCU was by far better than anyone in the conference. Was 12-0. Lost to Kansas State, who was 9-3. Looking back at the title game:

2022: TCU (12-0) lost to KSU (9-3) by 3 - TCU already beat KSU that season  

2021: OSU (11-1) lost to Baylor (10-2) by 5 - OSU already beat BU that season 

2020: Iowa State (#6) lost to OU (#10) by 6 - ISU already beat OU that season

2019: Baylor lost to OU by 7  - back and forth game, ended in OT

2018: Texas lost to OU - Texas had already beat OU that season

Most of these games are a one score game. Last time it was a 'blow out' was in 2017 when OU killed TCU, 41-17. 

8. Both teams will travel well. There are a TON of OSU alumni in the DFW area. We travel really well, so it won't be lopsided in regards to the atmosphere. I'll be there.... don't expect to win, but will be rooting for my Pokes regardless. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

7. Big XII championship game is a crapshoot. OSU was the CLEAR cut better team in 2021... already beat the crap out of Baylor once that year, then lost by an 1" in the Big XII title game. In 2022, TCU was by far better than anyone in the conference. Was 12-0. Lost to Kansas State, who was 9-3. Looking back at the title game:

Lol this isn't true at all.. 

They beat Baylor by 1(Baylor was horrible) , Texas by 7 (6-4) , TTU by 10 (4-6) OK St by 3 in OT. Then lost to KSU. 

They were hardly "far better than anyone" however, you have a massive hard on for TCU's team in 2022

Edited by warrior9
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 11/29/2023 at 9:04 AM, warrior9 said:

Lol this isn't true at all.. 

They beat Baylor by 1(Baylor was horrible) , Texas by 7 (6-4) , TTU by 10 (4-6) OK St by 3 in OT. Then lost to KSU. 

They were hardly "far better than anyone" however, you have a massive hard on for TCU's team in 2022

Sorry, when I see a team go 12-0 and beat everyone in conference... I consider them far better than a 3 loss KSU team. 

But you hate TCU for some weird reason. Maybe you got rejected when you applied there out of high school? 

1 hour ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Sorry, when I see a team go 12-0 and beat everyone in conference... I consider them far better than a 3 loss KSU team. 

But you hate TCU for some weird reason. Maybe you got rejected when you applied there out of high school? 

I do not hate TCU, you just have a weird hard on for them. I am a realist and I watched them play in person twice last year. Just because they win very close games does not make them "FAR" better than everyone. Again, they won a lot of VERY close games so they were not far better than everyone. 

No rational person would look at their win margins last year and say "far better" 

Your mind is so colluded with TCU last year that you legit thought Quentin Johnston would be the best receiver in the draft. 

On 11/28/2023 at 8:48 AM, ArdmoreRyno said:

It's definitely possible. I don't expect us to win, but it's all gravy at this point. We were expected to finish 7th in the conference... we've finished 2nd at worst. Our win over/under was 6.5, we blew that out of the water. 

Why it's "possible"... 

1. Texas barely beat TCU, who is a BAD football team, at full strength. They had Brooks, they had Ewers, they had Worthy... and they won by 3. Texas built a big lead in that game and TCU almost came back to win. Now Brooks out OUT and Worthy won't be 100%. They also have two other starters listed as 'questionable'. 

2.  Texas barely beat a Iowa State (was a 7 point game in the 4th quarter) and barely beat Kansas State (in OT). They also lost to OU (who OSU beat). I say all that because people seem to overlook their bad games where they barely won (or lost) and only their good games (Bama in week 2 for example). 

3. Texas has faced one back as good as Gordon, allowed almost 100 yards to him and 5.0 yards a pop (even though they did win the game by half-a-hundred at home, against Tech). Texas defensive line is their star... so it'll be strength vs strength on Saturday. Ollie always starts SLOW but gets stronger as the game goes. He will have like 28 yards at half and finish with 180 for the game. Last week he had FIVE touchdowns in the 2nd half.

4. Ollie Gordon III. Dude is a stud. Period. He's had one bad game, that was in horrible playing conditions at UCF when it was practically a monsoon and we had to play from behind the entire game. If he and Bowman had started the whole year, Ollie would have 2,000 yards rushing and OSU is probably 10-2 or 11-1. 

5. Oklahoma State has had Texas' number. No matter how good or bad Texas has been per said year, OSU finds a way to win. To me, this is HUGE. KNOWING you can win, expecting to win... like OU has that mental edge over OSU... the Pokes are that way with Texas. Is Texas better? 100% better, but OSU has beat Texas NINE times the past 13 seasons, 7-3 the last 10 years including the past 2 games in the series. 

6. Playing conditions: OSU has been terrible in bad weather. At Central Florida, we drove down the field over and over only to turn the ball over (4 times). We couldn't throw, couldn't catch which allowed UCF to just key on the run...  and next thing you know, it's 24-0 at half. Same thing against Iowa State and same thing last week against BYU (even though we came back from being down 24-6). Alan Bowman in wet conditions has averaged 274.6 yards, 2 TDs and 7 INTs (55.7%). In good conditions, he's averaged 292 yards, 8 TDs and 2 INTs (63%). 

2022: TCU (12-0) lost to KSU (9-3) by 3 - TCU already beat KSU that season  

2021: OSU (11-1) lost to Baylor (10-2) by 5 - OSU already beat BU that season 

2020: Iowa State (#6) lost to OU (#10) by 6 - ISU already beat OU that season

2019: Baylor lost to OU by 7  - back and forth game, ended in OT

2018: Texas lost to OU - Texas had already beat OU that season

Most of these games are a one score game. Last time it was a 'blow out' was in 2017 when OU killed TCU, 41-17. 

8. Both teams will travel well. There are a TON of OSU alumni in the DFW area. We travel really well, so it won't be lopsided in regards to the atmosphere. I'll be there.... don't expect to win, but will be rooting for my Pokes regardless. 

Well, the selection committee will be rooting hard for OSU…

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, warrior9 said:

I do not hate TCU, you just have a weird hard on for them. I am a realist and I watched them play in person twice last year. Just because they win very close games does not make them "FAR" better than everyone. Again, they won a lot of VERY close games so they were not far better than everyone. 

No rational person would look at their win margins last year and say "far better" 

Your mind is so colluded with TCU last year that you legit thought Quentin Johnston would be the best receiver in the draft. 

Well, they scored a sh*t load on Michigan in the CFP before losing big in the title game. 

I'm not a TCU fan... AT ALL...  (even though there's a kid who plays WR for them that graduated with my youngest daughters' in high school). As for Quention, I think he's going to end up being a good one. We will see. 

On 12/2/2023 at 11:34 AM, balln said:

What a horse bleep officiating job against OKst.

two DPi and one blatant pick OPI no calls on texas

its a joke 

They were bad, and then the no running into the kicker on the first punt. 

But all that said, nothing was going to change the outcome of the game. Texas is 14-21 points better off the bat. 

• 4 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.