The most likely path forward, top to bottom

Heavy Kevi

Obviously there has been plenty of peril and hot takes, defenses of the team/staff, and basically a severe dressing down of any and all things Bills recently. The narrative has come out of the basement (our TBD safe haven), right into the national media. They love it and revel in seeing the Bills fall apart as they've so routinely gotten to enjoy. But that's not really the point here. This is more of a "next steps forward" thread. I believe I've gazed into a crystal ball and seen the future (ok so not really) but some things are aligning in a way that makes this seem highly plausible to me.

The long and short of this "prediction" is this:

-Team stays intact this year, and mostly next year. No big time trades or signings. Probably a mid-tier LB or shifty wr5 at the deadline but nothing major. Next year getting under cap will have some casualties.

-Coaching stays (mostly) intact through next year. Sean gets his excuse again, and Dorsey is the sacrificial lamb. New oc likely to be promoted from within, or someone Josh is familiar with in one way or the other.

-Next year they try one more time to "run it back". The team will again show flashes and have great games, but the old players will lose another step and/or get hurt again. Not sure Tre ever returns, and Von might be ruined, still not sure on that one. They make or miss playoffs but have a hard time winning more than a playoff game or 2.

-Then the end of next year comes. It's time. It will be an off-season of attrition. HC gone, along with mostly all of the rest of the coaches. Big time roster turnover. Say goodbye to poyer, Hyde, Tre, von, Stef, Dion, Morse, prob Knox, etc. The priority keeps for the bills new coaching staff will be Allen, Kincaid, Torrence, Bernard, Rousseau, Milano (assuming he comes back into form).

-Beane gets a fresh new coaching staff cycle to prove his worth. Despite it's warts, Beane has built a solid roster to win now. He will get benefit of the doubt thanks to injuries and coaching issues (from :13 to zombie like team attitude)

--

Why do I think this? Well, the timing is baked in to the contracts and age of the team. For McD, he gets another get out of jail free card with the injury excuse and Dorsey's crappiness. But they also aren't going to want to change up coaching with the personnel we currently have on the roster. After next year, they can move on from big restrictive contracts like Stef and Von, but can't next year due to dead cap. The secondary will probably at least partially retire. Benford the new DB1. 

I think Beane senses this, and will be reticent to trade future assets unless he believes he is also on the hot seat. This old house needs to get younger and it's going to take a cap correction year to do so.

So, in 2025 the team has a new HC and staff. Tons of new players, especially lots of young talent. The team shows renewed energy with the new coach at the helm, and the hype of a Josh Allen resurgence is on the lips of the media, and then....

In 2026 they launch with high expectations, in the NEW stadium, and the cash rolls in. 

I hate that this could take 3 years, but it feels almost inevitable to me when you weigh the age of the team, the contracts that need to be played out, and the theme of underperformance under McDermott.

That's my take for most likely near to intermediate term outcomes, what's yours?

Definition of Insanity is trying the same thing expecting different results. 

"

-Coaching stays (mostly) intact through next year. Sean gets his excuse again, and Dorsey is the sacrificial lamb. New oc likely to be promoted from within, or someone Josh is familiar with in one way or the other.

-Next year they try one more time to "run it back". The team will again show flashes and have great games, but the old players will lose another step and/or get hurt again. Not sure Tre ever returns, and Von might be ruined, still not sure on that one. They make or miss playoffs but have a hard time winning more than a playoff game or 2."

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Obviously there has been plenty of peril and hot takes, defenses of the team/staff, and basically a severe dressing down of any and all things Bills recently. The narrative has come out of the basement (our TBD safe haven), right into the national media. They love it and revel in seeing the Bills fall apart as they've so routinely gotten to enjoy. But that's not really the point here. This is more of a "next steps forward" thread. I believe I've gazed into a crystal ball and seen the future (ok so not really) but some things are aligning in a way that makes this seem highly plausible to me.

The long and short of this "prediction" is this:

-Team stays intact this year, and mostly next year. No big time trades or signings. Probably a mid-tier LB or shifty wr5 at the deadline but nothing major. Next year getting under cap will have some casualties.

-Next year they try one more time to "run it back". The team will again show flashes and have great games, but the old players will lose another step and/or get hurt again. Not sure Tre ever returns, and Von might be ruined, still not sure on that one. They make or miss playoffs but have a hard time winning more than a playoff game or 2.

-Then the end of next year comes. It's time. It will be an off-season of attrition. HC gone, along with mostly all of the rest of the coaches. Big time roster turnover. Say goodbye to poyer, Hyde, Tre, von, Stef, Dion, Morse, prob Knox, etc. The priority keeps for the bills new coaching staff will be Allen, Kincaid, Torrence, Bernard, Rousseau, Milano (assuming he comes back into form).

-Beane gets a fresh new coaching staff cycle to prove his worth. Despite it's warts, Beane has built a solid roster to win now. He will get benefit of the doubt thanks to injuries and coaching issues (from :13 to zombie like team attitude)

--

Why do I think this? Well, the timing is baked in to the contracts and age of the team. For McD, he gets another get out of jail free card with the injury excuse and Dorsey's crappiness. But they also aren't going to want to change up coaching with the personnel we currently have on the roster. After next year, they can move on from big restrictive contracts like Stef and Von, but can't next year due to dead cap. The secondary will probably at least partially retire. Benford the new DB1. 

I think Beane senses this, and will be reticent to trade future assets unless he believes he is also on the hot seat. This old house needs to get younger and it's going to take a cap correction year to do so.

So, in 2025 the team has a new HC and staff. Tons of new players, especially lots of young talent. The team shows renewed energy with the new coach at the helm, and the hype of a Josh Allen resurgence is on the lips of the media, and then....

In 2026 they launch with high expectations, in the NEW stadium, and the cash rolls in. 

I hate that this could take 3 years, but it feels almost inevitable to me when you weigh the age of the team, the contracts that need to be played out, and the theme of underperformance under McDermott.

That's my take for most likely near to intermediate term outcomes, what's yours?

I think it's painfully obvious to everyone outside the building at least this iteration of the Bills has probably run its course.

Shame they couldn't get it done. There's zero chance of a championship this year, and next is even bleaker.

If I had my druthers, the team would sell off as much old as they can, cut the rest, eat the cap turd-burger and take the medicine next year with a brighter 2025 in focus.

9 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I think it's painfully obvious to everyone outside the building at least this iteration of the Bills has probably run its course.

Shame they couldn't get it done. There's zero chance of a championship this year, and next is even bleaker.

If I had my druthers, the team would sell off as much old as they can, cut the rest, eat the cap turd-burger and take the medicine next year with a brighter 2025 in focus.

I wholly agree with your post.

The OP isn't at all what I would prefer... But it's what I think is the most likely given the situation

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.