Why do they never use a 3rd LB?

cgg716

Multiple teams use a nickel as their base defense.  Several others are in nickel frequently and the percentage changes week to week based on the opponent.  Most teams that run a high percentage of three LB's aren't great against the pass.  Teams using base nickel try to have a superior d-line to jam the running lanes and keep LB's clean.

For those that think the defense was the problem, they need to watch the game again.  Losing three key contributors on the defense, I expected a bad performance and didn't see one.

On the final play, Waller initiated contact with Johnson and kept his hands on him throughout the play to create separation.  From that point on, the referee is going to let them play.  If Johnson had initiated the contact, Waller probably gets the call.

• Vomit 1

5 hours ago, FireChans said:

But if we’re getting shredded on the ground, why is Taron Johnson playing in coverage?

checkmate!

Chan my man, the problem isn’t defense, nor is it our O Line.  It our offense.  We’ve been running better, 12 is working ok, but we’re not efficiently using 11 personnel like we did under Daboll.  

If you look at the handshake after the game, there is no love lost on McD and Dabbs.  I’m not quick to say fire the HC or the OC, but something has to improve.  If we barely score 14 pts against one of the worst defenses in the NFL, I’m concerned for the playoff teams.

Contrary what some say about me, I’m not Pollyanna and see problems.  One area I disagree with McBeane is in the bigger matchups, I want to see much more designed runs from Allen.  It places defenses on their toes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.