The biggest blunder of the game IMO

ChronicAndKnuckles

On 10/17/2023 at 2:36 PM, HappyDays said:

There are definitely some people that will just complain about the outcome no matter what and aren't consistent in their complaints. Not me. I have been leaning more conservative on issues like this for years now. I swear I have seen many more cases of a coach losing a game being overly aggressive in recent years than I have seeing the opposite. We almost lost this game because we were needlessly aggressive. Frankly we got lucky to pull out a win at the end.

Absolutely agree. You always have to consider the larger context too -- in this case, the sorry state of the Giants' offense. Don't give them anything in the form of a break or breather. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/15/2023 at 10:28 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

The decision to kick a 53 FG when already up 4+ points knowing your kicker has been shaky and shanked another 53 yarder earlier in the game.

Missing the kick would put the Giants in good field position w/ a time out to work with and ample time to dink & dunk their way down to the red zone.

If McDermott would’ve punted, it would’ve placed the Giants around the 10 (who haven’t scored a TD in multiple games) and made them drive 90 yards! This decision would’ve eliminated all those Trent Edwards check downs and forced Tyrod to make multiple big plays. I’m sure the analytics would back this up all day. 

I know it’s irrelevant now, but the Bills are darn lucky to have escaped this game w/ a win. 

Doesn't matter what McD does there, half this board will say it was wrong.  Kicks FG, he is wrong for not punting for reasons you stated.  Punts, everyone calls him a conservative wuss afraid to go for points with a good kicker in Bass.  It was a lose lose situation for McD as far as TSW goes, not decision would be seen as right.

However, I think he should have punted and for all the reasons you stated.  They needed a TD, and were on like a 2 game drought of scoring a TD and we were fielding  a stout defense still.  But I also don't blame him for trusting Bass there, if he hits it they still need a TD, but Bills can't lose on that TD.  

This was truly a toss up call IMHO, I would have punted just given how well our D had played and how poorly their offense had played, but I also wasn't upset at giving bass a shot at a FG he is fully capable of hitting.  And still, it was only going to be a difference of about 30 yards anyway, you still had a weak offense over there where he probably had confidence if we missed that his D could still hold them.  

On 10/16/2023 at 1:28 AM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

The decision to kick a 53 FG when already up 4+ points knowing your kicker has been shaky and shanked another 53 yarder earlier in the game.

Missing the kick would put the Giants in good field position w/ a time out to work with and ample time to dink & dunk their way down to the red zone.

If McDermott would’ve punted, it would’ve placed the Giants around the 10 (who haven’t scored a TD in multiple games) and made them drive 90 yards! This decision would’ve eliminated all those Trent Edwards check downs and forced Tyrod to make multiple big plays. I’m sure the analytics would back this up all day. 

I know it’s irrelevant now, but the Bills are darn lucky to have escaped this game w/ a win. 

I questioned that decision but Sean thinks Bass is automatic, maybe not anymore. The Giants couldn’t really move the ball no less go the length of the field. The move set the stage for the Bills to lose. Anyone who watched the game knew our corners were giving up receptions and Barkley was hurting us on the ground. Instead of having to negotiate 85-90 yards, they had 57 with one timeout and 1 minute and a half. Lucky to get the win.

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/16/2023 at 1:35 AM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

They would have to score a TD regardless ! Forget about the 2 point conversion. They would need to go 90 yards instead of working from damn near mid field. I thought it was absolutely idiotic.

No, it doesn't work like that.  The 2 point conversion was exactly why they made the choice they did, so of course if you throw out the entire reason they did what they did it will seem senseless.  The Giants hadn't scored a TD since the Bronze Age, and already demonstrated poor clock management and an inability to punch it in from inside the 5 during the first half.  They gambled field advantage to try to force that TD challenged team to have to punch it in ON CONSECUTIVE PLAYS.  Any team at any time can bust out a fluke long TD, so they wanted to protect against a fluke TD that would be an automatic loss regardless of it being from 60 or 75-90 yards out.  Top defenses get burned on single play sometimes.  But good luck beating that top defense twice in a row.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.