McDermott Hot Seat?

Mark92

I am an Orioles fan and this team is a lot like the Orioles were from 2011-2018.   The manager Buck Showalter quickly rebuilt the team out of a playoff drought and crated a winning culture.   This led to a few years of playoffs where they could never get past the championship.  The team had strengths and weaknesses, but the weaknesses were never addressed.  As people from the original team left the team or retired, they were replaced with bad free agents and a farm system that was on the bottom.    Eventually the bottom fell out fast and you out of nowhere had a 100 loss team again.   Showalter was fired and a full rebuild was needed. The Orioles are back now which a core of good young players and a manager of the year, but it took a few years to get back there.

I see a very similar path with Buffalo (but we are not quite at the end of that cycle).   Bad coaching in the playoffs, the same weakness every year, and unproductive replacements added by free agency and the draft.  It might be possible to retool in the off-season and keep this team contending, but we need to move on from McDermott and Beane before the bottom completely falls out. 

• Like (+1) 1

McDermott's seat is not hot, it's completely engulfed in flames right now.  He's going to have to lead this team to win some games down the stretch that they are not expected to win.

I look over at Baltimore and John Harbaugh, who has had to fire coordinators and re-invent himself a few times now, and they stay successful for the most part.  What he is doing that McDermott isn't?  

• Haha (+1) 1

I’d like to know what it is about McD that deserves such belief from Pegula? When he was first hired I heard he suddenly had all the power and was the one making the picks for the Bills in the 2017 draft with the help of Whaley’s staff. New coach coming in should’ve picked a new QB as well, right? But no, didn’t trust Whaley’s staff well enough for their QB rankings so he traded the #10 pick to KC and picked Tre White at the back of the first round. This despite Terry reportedly being absolutely enamored with Mahomes. 

Why the contract extension when it was clear the Bills were showing signs of regression since the :13 second debacle? That game alone would’ve raised my eyebrows as the owner of the team. “Can’t coach well enough to stop a team from getting into FG range in only 13 seconds??” That game in many ways was more devastating than home run throwback because it required a multitude of bad decisions for the Chiefs to get into FG range. 

McD is not a bad coach, I think he’s a better version of Marvin Lewis, but he’s absolutely not a championship winning leader as I type this message today. Maybe he figures it out with his next team, but I think he’s ran his course in Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.