Gin Mill's in WNY

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cassidy's(gone), Lockerroom(gone), Steer, Old Pink, Continental, Goodbar, The Gate, Icon, The Library, Callahans...

350691[/snapback]

The Lockeroom is something else now. It's a really cool bar/restaurant now. I forgot the name. I was there last summer, it was great.

Let's face it, the lockeroom was the epitome of uberjock cheese. Bad music and lots of big guys with bad attitudes wearing stonewashed jeans and cut off sweatshirts in blacklighting. The only reason I went there was to get directions to get away from there.

We're from the southern burbs originally, so when we're back for home games, reunions and stuff, we frequent the Barbill and Wallenweins in East Aurora, the Willows in Holland, and often make an obligatory journey to the Anchor Bar.

We're from the southern burbs originally, so when we're back for home games, reunions and stuff, we frequent the Barbill and Wallenweins in East Aurora, the Willows in Holland, and often make an obligatory journey to the Anchor Bar.

350712[/snapback]

Oddly enough, the village of OP never had much in the way of bars. There was Rappls for a while and a few on the border of West Senca and OP, but none really right in the town. I think it is because the city fathers there were so uptight. Now there is Eddie's and a new one called David's. As I get older, I don't want to drive as far and when I go back, I stick around that area more. I usually combine my Buffalo trip with a hockey game. Then after, I'll hit 10 places with the night endign at Steak-out.

Back in the day I used to hang at the Garage Door, Distillery, and Elmwood Inn here in Roch. I DJ'd at Stirling's for a couple of years and had a ball with that. Then a new owner took over and turned it into a biker bar.

Being a Hamburg guy, my favorite places when I get home are Kettles South (now Pour Boys), JP Fitzgerald's, and for the best wings in the world, Mamoser's Tavern. I used to hit Callahan's and Mickey Rat's during the summer.

Any one remember the Salty Dog? I saw Metallica with about 400 friends there in the early 80's...

Oddly enough, the village of OP never had much in the way of bars. There was Rappls for a while and a few on the border of West Senca and OP, but none really right in the town. I think it is because the city fathers there were so uptight. Now there is Eddie's and a new one called David's. As I get older, I don't want to drive as far and when I go back, I stick around that area more.  I usually combine my Buffalo trip with a hockey game. Then after, I'll hit 10 places with the night endign at Steak-out.

350720[/snapback]

Back in the 70's, Shores was right in the center of OP. Most of the Bills Oline used to go there, as well as other players. It was definately a 70's type of bar though, OJ and Ferguson both drank there. It burned down awhile ago though, not sure when.

Back in the 70's, Shores was right in the center of OP.  Most of the Bills Oline used to go there, as well as other players.  It was definately a 70's type of bar though, OJ and Ferguson both drank there.  It burned down awhile ago though, not sure when.

350827[/snapback]

They tore it downabout 3 years ago to make way for the new office/retail/resturant building that sits there now. I knew Shores, but it was before my time, we went to brunch there. I did have a few christmas Eve's there. It was old school. The new bar Davids is on part of the land that Shores was on.

Used to go to the Locker Room on I think Tuesdays-it was nurse's night- All those young nurses and nursing students from Millard Filmore Hospital next door :lol: .

Being a Hamburg guy, my favorite places when I get home are Kettles South (now Pour Boys), JP Fitzgerald's, and for the best wings in the world, Mamoser's Tavern. I used to hit Callahan's and Mickey Rat's during the summer.

Any one remember the Salty Dog? I saw Metallica with about 400 friends there in the early 80's...

350811[/snapback]

Check your PM.

...frequent or used to frequent back in da day?  There are so many classic taverns/bars throughout WNY that I was just curious to see which ones TBD'ers go to!!!!

350446[/snapback]

It would be a shorter list of ones not visited :lol:

"Gin mill"? Now there's a term I haven't heard in at least 40 years! Of course, I left Buffalo almost that long ago. Yes, it is a local term. My associations with it are the Rose Garden on Wehrle Drive (the Miner family) or maybe the Doat Grill or Whitey's on Genesee Street or Benny's Tavern at Genesee and Bailey (formerly Schwabl's where my grandfather drank his life away a century ago). For a date and a little underage drinking, there was DuBells on Smith Street or a place on Delevan near the old Meyer Memorial Hospital that was very dark and cozy (help me out with a name here!). Am I the only one on TSW old enough to remember any of these? Do any of them still exist? Oh, the agony of getting old!

"Gin mill"? Now there's a term I haven't heard in at least 40 years! Of course, I left Buffalo almost that long ago. Yes, it is a local term. My associations with it are the Rose Garden on Wehrle Drive (the Miner family) or maybe the Doat Grill or Whitey's on Genesee Street or Benny's Tavern at Genesee and Bailey (formerly Schwabl's where my grandfather drank his life away a century ago). For a date and a little underage drinking, there was DuBells on Smith Street or a place on Delevan near the old Meyer Memorial Hospital that was very dark and cozy (help me out with a name here!). Am I the only one on TSW old enough to remember any of these? Do any of them still exist? Oh, the agony of getting old!

350885[/snapback]

Anacone's on Bailey (still there) and the ever popular Slomba's - but what a neighborhood now :lol: