Oliver Anthony - Rich Men North Of Richmond

17 minutes ago, boyst said:

For those wanting a NC experience.

https://www.worldatlas.com/cities/9-gorgeous-north-carolina-towns-to-visit-in-2023.html

I recommend most of these.

Sans Davidson, which is just an urban sprawl wannabe elitist community outside of Charlotte and Mt. airy, sorry Andy & Opie.

Mt Airy
(the actual mountain) reminds me of a big tit with a small nipple.

4th pic from the left.  i misremembered.  more like a big tit with a big nipple.

https://www.shutterstock.com/search/mt-airy-north-carolina

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

21 minutes ago, boyst said:

For those wanting a NC experience.

https://www.worldatlas.com/cities/9-gorgeous-north-carolina-towns-to-visit-in-2023.html

I recommend most of these.

Sans Davidson, which is just an urban sprawl wannabe elitist community outside of Charlotte and Mt. airy, sorry Andy & Opie.

What no Burlington or Lumberton?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Mt Airy
(the actual mountain) reminds me of a big tit with a small nipple.

4th pic from the left.  i misremembered.  more like a big tit with a big nipple.

https://www.shutterstock.com/search/mt-airy-north-carolina

... never heard that before. ... 

it's got a very simple hike and overcrowded because of it's simplicity and the fats who go there for the easy walk.

hanging rock is much better and offers more than just a few basic climbs. zooview is amazing.

1 minute ago, BillsFanNC said:

What no Burlington or Lumberton?

i think joe ferguson would love those places.

or maybe 3 or 4 blocks outside of High Point University. HP is dangerous af but it's swept under the rug, underreported to save the college, and flat out ignored. i had two former employees murdered there that never even made the news or a report beyond simple homicide.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, boyst said:

... never heard that before. ... 

it's got a very simple hike and overcrowded because of it's simplicity and the fats who go there for the easy walk.

hanging rock is much better and offers more than just a few basic climbs. zooview is amazing.

Three great events relatively nearby.  The Galax fiddlers convention in Va bordering NC, Merlefest and Floydfest.  Great authentic stuff but flotydfest have many smelly hippies that camp out.  

32 minutes ago, boyst said:

asheville wants to be portland so bad.

everyone there is miserable.

I do a long weekend beer trip with a bunch of my brewing friends periodically.  About five years ago we did Asheville, because it does actually have a nice beer scene.

We stayed in Hendersonville and took ubers everywhere, obviously.  Every uber driver we had was trashing Asheville and had themselves moved out to the outskirts.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFanNC said:

I do a long weekend beer trip with a bunch of my brewing friends periodically.  About five years ago we did Asheville, because it does actually have a nice beer scene.

We stayed in Hendersonville and took ubers everywhere, obviously.  Every uber driver we had was trashing Asheville and had themselves moved out to the outskirts.

are you in the nc brewers alliance?

• Like (+1) 1

Take 'Rich Men North of Richmond' Seriously

By Dan McCarthy

You don't need a college degree to understand what's happening in our country.

Oliver Anthony, the songwriter behind the viral hit "Rich Men North of Richmond," didn't even finish high school. But his song is the most intelligent political commentary of the year.

That's because there are two parts to it, though most critics and many admirers have only picked up on one.

The song isn't simply a class-war complaint. The trouble with the rich men north of Richmond isn't that they're rich; it's that "they all just wanna have total control / Wanna know what you think, wanna know what you do."

Anthony, real name Christopher Anthony Lunsford, is a throwback to the folk libertarianism that gave us the American Revolution.

There's a social and spiritual level to the song beyond its obvious economics.

{snip}

In the context of Virginia, "north of Richmond" is a synonym for the suburbs of Washington, D.C., which wield enormous political power and economic sway over the state.

This is the "total control" Anthony sings about.

The problem with the people north of Richmond isn't only their progressive politics or their self-dealing as insiders in a system they control; it's also that control itself — the sense that the destiny of men like Oliver Anthony is decided faraway, where they have no voice.

Americans felt that way during the revolution: They had no representation in a Parliament an ocean away, where decisions about taxes, trade and the entire economic life of the colonists — to say nothing of their religious and political lives — were made by strangers.

If the counties (and states) north of Richmond were red instead of blue and treated the working men south of Richmond with magnanimity rather than neglect or contempt, there would still be a problem because what those men need isn't patronage; it's control over their own lives and a say in their fate of their own communities.

No wage will ever be high enough if the men who earn it aren't free.

"Rich Men North of Richmond," like populism itself, is about control, not wages.

http://jewishworldreview.com/0823/McCarthy082223.php

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanNC said:

Hendersonville is full of boring retirees😂 i don't know where all the Asheville hate comes from.  Read the reviews from the hotel I linked.  Just about everyone talks about walking around downtown.   I didn't see anyone that looked to be concealed carrying but maybe in church. 

51 minutes ago, B-Man said:

The problem with the people north of Richmond isn't only their progressive politics or their self-dealing as insiders in a system they control; it's also that control itself — the sense that the destiny of men like Oliver Anthony is decided faraway, where they have no voice

"They" have as much voice as I do or just about anyone else except a small group of uber wealthy with lobbyists.  I probably have less voice than him, living in a red rural region.  

• Eyeroll 1

23 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

don't you claim to be retired?

Did you forget your ADD meds again?  That's what the smiley was for.  But imo, it's a boring town full of cookie cutter new builds.  Just searched some real estate - extremely expensive too

• Eyeroll 1

Oliver Anthony Just Dropped Another Song and It'll Blow You Away

By Brandon Morse

When Oliver Anthony dropped "Rich Men North of Richmond" on the public out of nowhere, it went viral to a point where it broke free of any political boundaries and hit the hearts of Americans of every variety. Despite the left's best efforts, Anthony's song spoke to everyone. 

Following up on a massive success is no easy task and despite releasing new songs, Anthony still could have been considered a one-hit wonder as his other songs never matched the quality and pull of "Rich Men North of Richmond." 

We can now safely put that idea to bed. Oliver Anthony is the real deal. 

On Tuesday evening, another song popped up on Anthony's YouTube channel called "I Want To Go Home," and it's nothing short of incredible. 

The song takes the same soulfully mournful look at our society but makes it a bit more personal for Anthony and how what he sees affects him personally. Despite writing from his heart's perspective, his voice and style resonate with something in your own soul and you can't help but feel his singing your own thoughts back to you. 

Like "Rich Men," Anthony returns with his guitar and microphone. Standing somewhere on his property with his dogs at his feet, he begins singing about how the country is on the brink of something disastrous, possibly the next world war, but that he wants none of it. He sings that he just wants to go home but he can't remember the way as it's been so long since he's been there. 

Then the chorus hits:

"I just know I didn't used to wake up feeling this way
Cussing myself every damn day
There's always some kind of bill to pay
People just doin' what the rich man say
I want to go home"

As the song closes out, Mark 8:36 appears on the screen. 

"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world but lose his own soul?"

The song is a fascinating retelling of the thoughts of many Americans who say we need to return the country back to what it was, but as we drift further away in the darkness of modernity, we slowly forget how to get back there. We don't know how to get back to that America, but we do know we want to go back very badly. 

Anthony isn't wrong. One thing that I find very interesting about our society is our penchant for nostalgia. We're always trying to dredge back the past that we used to enjoy so much that even corporations began preying on it. We're constantly seeing them bring old franchises and titles back from the past and remaking them, only for "modern audiences." 

We had something back then that we don't have now, and Anthony expressed that sentiment beautifully. 

https://redstate.com/brandon_morse/2023/08/23/oliver-anthony-just-dropped-another-song-and-itll-blow-you-away-n2162943

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Oliver Anthony Just Dropped Another Song and It'll Blow You Away

By Brandon Morse

When Oliver Anthony dropped "Rich Men North of Richmond" on the public out of nowhere, it went viral to a point where it broke free of any political boundaries and hit the hearts of Americans of every variety. Despite the left's best efforts, Anthony's song spoke to everyone. 

Following up on a massive success is no easy task and despite releasing new songs, Anthony still could have been considered a one-hit wonder as his other songs never matched the quality and pull of "Rich Men North of Richmond." 

We can now safely put that idea to bed. Oliver Anthony is the real deal. 

On Tuesday evening, another song popped up on Anthony's YouTube channel called "I Want To Go Home," and it's nothing short of incredible. 

The song takes the same soulfully mournful look at our society but makes it a bit more personal for Anthony and how what he sees affects him personally. Despite writing from his heart's perspective, his voice and style resonate with something in your own soul and you can't help but feel his singing your own thoughts back to you. 

Like "Rich Men," Anthony returns with his guitar and microphone. Standing somewhere on his property with his dogs at his feet, he begins singing about how the country is on the brink of something disastrous, possibly the next world war, but that he wants none of it. He sings that he just wants to go home but he can't remember the way as it's been so long since he's been there. 

Then the chorus hits:

"I just know I didn't used to wake up feeling this way
Cussing myself every damn day
There's always some kind of bill to pay
People just doin' what the rich man say
I want to go home"

As the song closes out, Mark 8:36 appears on the screen. 

"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world but lose his own soul?"

The song is a fascinating retelling of the thoughts of many Americans who say we need to return the country back to what it was, but as we drift further away in the darkness of modernity, we slowly forget how to get back there. We don't know how to get back to that America, but we do know we want to go back very badly. 

Anthony isn't wrong. One thing that I find very interesting about our society is our penchant for nostalgia. We're always trying to dredge back the past that we used to enjoy so much that even corporations began preying on it. We're constantly seeing them bring old franchises and titles back from the past and remaking them, only for "modern audiences." 

We had something back then that we don't have now, and Anthony expressed that sentiment beautifully. 

https://redstate.com/brandon_morse/2023/08/23/oliver-anthony-just-dropped-another-song-and-itll-blow-you-away-n2162943

Cue the usual suspects bemoaning his "whining" and sticking up for the state and the mega-corps

• Thank you (+1) 4