Your low income threshold in LA County

Jon in Pasadena

17 hours ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

LOL I get job offers in LA offering "market rate" of $35-$40 hour without benefits.

Not sure how they would expect me to find housing. Maybe they expect me to live in a hostel.

Edited by Limeaid
typo

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

LOL I get job offers in LA offering "market rate" of $35-$40K hour without benefits.

Not sure how they would expect me to find housing. Maybe they expect me to live in a hostel.

Hostel would be too nice for you.  Try refrigerator box under the freeway.

• Haha (+1) 1

I live in NJ, so I have no clue what it takes to live in CA. With so many people leaving I am guessing the poor and many of the middle class can't afford to live there anymore. Seems like it's basically a state for the wealthy only now. That is the impression I get from 3,000 miles away.

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

LOL I get job offers in LA offering "market rate" of $35-$40K hour without benefits.

I don't know, $35,000 to $40,000 PER HOUR sounds pretty good to me!

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I don't know, $35,000 to $40,000 PER HOUR sounds pretty good to me!

Yeah I was posting late and mixed up annual and hourly numbers.

Ironically even after 35+ years of professional work my best hourly rate (not counting day I worked holiday and got triple time) was in college when I got $100/hour.  A girl in open computer area destroyed her final project work and if she did not turn it in TODAY she would fail class. I told her I could fix it and she said it was impossible it was due in an hour.  I said I can fix it, will you pay me $50 and she said sure.  With her watching she saw me restore her damaged project using some code I wrote as I was working and reformated all the code correcting some typos.  After I tested it I said "Are you going to pay me $50 and she dug the money out of her purse and paid me.  I transferred the files to her account and I watched as she submitted project.  She started to leave and I said "Take a minute and look in instructors folder to ensure files are there and she did and then said thanks and ran off to professor.  It took me half an hour including the checking to ensure files got there since there had been problems in past.

All I know is when I lived in Pleasant Hill, CA, in 2007, I qualified for low-income housing assistance for my 2 bedroom. 2 bath apartment. With the low-income housing assistance, my rent was $1600. I can't imagine what it would be like today. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.