For first time - 6 Southern states contributing more to U.S. GDP then the NE corridor

• Big Blitz changed the title to For first time - 6 Southern states contributing more to U.S. GDP then the NE corridor

Corporations are also flocking there, with a record number of firms moving south after the pandemic, Census Bureau data show.

Dun & Bradstreet was one of them.

The company, founded 182 years ago by abolitionist Lewis Tappan, was until recently headquartered in Short Hills, New Jersey, its location a major plus for a financial-information firm with close ties to Wall Street.

But in 2021, the company decamped for Jacksonville, Florida, on the southern edge of that 240-mile coastal band.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2023-06-29/millions-move-to-the-south-as-us-economy-favors-its-wealth-job-opportunities

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

define NE corridor.  3 cities or the region or the states?  seems purposefully vague in order to make a sensationalized statement.

From the Bloomberg article:

Northeast includes: Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, D.C., Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York

image.png.97a78a874d5a954817fd0915dbd4f2f8.png

Purposefully vague in order to make a sensationalized statement….lol/smh

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

From the Bloomberg article:

Northeast includes: Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, D.C., Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York

image.png.97a78a874d5a954817fd0915dbd4f2f8.png

Purposefully vague in order to make a sensationalized statement….lol/smh

so sue me.  haven't had a coffee and it's buried below a graph.  but there's a light at the end of the tunnel.  the folks sipping bourbon and chardonnay near Charleston were almost exclusively from NJ so they're likely cancelling out some SC R voters....

5 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

so sue me.  haven't had a coffee and it's buried below a graph.  but there's a light at the end of the tunnel.  the folks sipping bourbon and chardonnay near Charleston were almost exclusively from NJ so they're likely cancelling out some SC R voters....

New Jersey! Lol, the armpit of America.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

No need to get the lawyers involved. It’s common for the redhawks of the world to be so anxious to rebut something they don’t like that there is a rush to post without having any knowledge at all. 

Enjoy the coffee

• Haha (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, Westside said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You know why the birds fly upside down over NJ? 

Because its not even good enough to crap on 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Westside said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

What’s ironic is NJ is one of the top states least dependent on the federal government; unlike a number of those red states that are now booming! 

Time to raise taxes in those states now that they have industry and population to support their own! 

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

Time to raise taxes in those states now that they have industry and population to support their own! 

Less taxes and red tape is why they are eating our lunch.

Then they should receive less federal funding - right?????

If they are booming - why should blue states CONTINUE to bail out these red states?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Then they should receive less federal funding - right?????

If they are booming - why should blue states CONTINUE to bail out these red states?

You like to say that a lot. I’m assuming you know that over 3/4 of federal spending goes to the Military, Interest, Social Security and Health Care. Are you really that bent out of shape because a few roads are built in rural America? Really? 

@Chris farley- why should red states that are booming continue to be bailed out like South Carolina? A known welfare state?

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You like to say that a lot. I’m assuming you know that over 3/4 of federal spending goes to the Military, Interest, Social Security and Health Care. Are you really that bent out of shape because a few roads are built in rural America? Really? 

Some of those states don’t have the infrastructure to support this influx. 

The locals are tired of their roads getting clogged up. 

2 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Some of those states don’t have the infrastructure to support this influx. 

The locals are tired of their roads getting clogged up. 

I’m not sure what that means but I’ll defend your right to be confused. 😉

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not sure what that means but I’ll defend your right to be confused. 😉

Confused about what?

Why should MA residents pay MORE to the federal government and receive less when compared to a state like South Carolina? 

Just now, BillStime said:

Confused about what?

Why should MA residents pay MORE to the federal government and receive less when compared to a state like South Carolina? 

Does MA need a road? If they do I’m pretty sure they’ll get one. 

It’s time the booming red states pay their share - blue states have been bailing out their sorry a$$e$ forever.

Pay back is a bich

Higher GDP Equals Less Federal Dependence

MoneyGeek analysis shows that states with higher per capita GDP are less dependent on the federal government.

"Higher-income states produce the majority of the tax dollars that go into the federal government's pocket," Fallon says. Because of the higher income, states and their residents need less support and use fewer federal dollars.

Fallon noted that tax code changes have made wealthy states' contributions more pronounced.

"Before, people who paid large state income taxes would deduct those from their federal tax payments," she says. Now, state tax deductions are capped. "Ironically, it means the wealthier states' populations are paying even more."

Meanwhile:

7 of the 10 states most dependent on the federal government were Republican-voting, with the average red state receiving $1.05 per dollar spent.

Twenty-nine states sent more to the federal government than they received, compared to just nine states in 2021.

Of the states that sent more than they received, 52% were Democrat-voting and 48% were Republican-voting.

New Mexico had the highest return on federal spending of any state ($3.69), and Delaware had the lowest ($0.32).

10 minutes ago, ALF said:

Which states with no state income tax get massive FEMA funds for hurricanes 

Wait….what? You don’t believe that the Federal Emergency Management Agency should fund emergency management? You’ve gotta be kidding?